I-37 Speedway updates 10/6/18

rebelracewriter

16 minutes ago, JamesHigdon said:

Looks like he was running either too heavy a spring or weight in the car; they’ve started cracking down in the lower classes to keep costs down.

we raced gb for a very long time .think this is the first time  ever seen him get a dq ...gb is very good at pushing the limits not saying that's bad but hey who isn't ..

Today is the first time to see this thread. I would like to clear something up. The DQs last race had less to do with the cars and everything to do with the class itself. Like at every track, the mini stocks (regardless of what name is used) are full of passion but most lack the resources to be involved with store bought cars. That passion boils over and  usually lands in the lap of the top person running the facility

Now consider that the upper management already has distain for this series and the noise being made by them its no surprise the top man had enough and came down from the office to "show" the officials how to handle things. Although my car was accepted by part of management as being an invited car it did not fit the exact interpretation being used that night. My car was built for Corpus under their Sport Compact rules which allowed for front and rear loops. Nothing hidden, I asked for and was granted permission to race my car as is by management and teck. Was checked at teck pad over 30 times and 2 annual inspections. The only changes required were a new window net and seat belts as 1999 was not considered up to date. No different that how the Pro Sedans allowed invited non series cars to compete with some basic restrictions.

Now it would be silly to think nobody noticed my braced radiator support until 2 years later. Nay it was not the car but actually the complaining many of the members of the series irritated top management to the point he made this deliration to shut us up. Over the years we have argued and fought publically at every track we have raced at. Nothing new about that, we are our own worse enemies and Hiteck you know that as well as anybody. Its in the archives if you want to look it up.

Now on a personal note, when told I was not allowed to race my car anymore,(I could not change it to meet their standards)  I was done. Now me, like the Pro Sedans have no home. In Texas mini stocks are defined as mini bombers and that series is doing fine. I don't agree how that track carved into that nights lineup and DQed 2 of the top 6 cars at the top of the points 2 races before the end but its their right.

My point is, I did not go there to cheat. A 420 mile round trip is too costly to risk. Me and the 57 were just  tools being used to clean house. The problem is, and even Nick would agree, people complaining. Weather on public media, in personal messages or by phone, if you irritate top management eventually you spur a response that might not be what you expect. So race your cars, not your mouths least you become a tumbleweed.

Nick, this is not bashing.

1 hour ago, thumper said:

Nick, this is not bashing.

I agree, you did not bash and explained your position in a rational, more or less positive way.

The rules for the Pro sedans were written for asphalt and had built in provisions to change weight / carb specs to keep the competition reasonably even.  For instance, the air-cooled VW could run just about any aftermarket performance parts to enable it to compete (until they blew up due to all the compression, cam, etc.) while the water-cooled VWs and Pinto brigade pushed for rules in their favor with varying degrees of success.  Usually the team that figured out how to get their cars as light as the rules allowed and played with their suspensions until they really handled would win the majority of the Pro Sedan races.

Dirt is the great equalizer when it comes to rules and I can't imagine having a stiff cage is a major advantage in that class. If anything, the added front end weight on a front wheel drive car put the Sirocco at a disadvantage. It would have to be sprung in non-intuitive ways to get the thing to stop pushing the front end like a plow for starters.

You did a great job figuring out solutions to the handling issues and it's a shame your fellow competitors felt the need to complain mightily to the boss man.

Nick

Archived