NASCAR to implement new Cup rules for 2019

NickHolt

FORT WORTH, Texas (October 2, 2018) -- In an effort to create more competitive racing across the board, NASCAR announced Tuesday that it has developed and will implement a pair of new baseline rules packages in the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series for the 2019 season.

The move, which was made to help strengthen competition with enhanced aerodynamic engine configurations, incorporates a similar but not identical package to what was run during the 2018 All-Star Race at Charlotte Motor Speedway. 

According to NASCAR, the different packages will be tailored to the specific tracks on the Cup Series circuit, with a combination of a smaller tapered spacer to reduce engine horsepower to a target goal of 550 (from 750) and aero ducts to foster tighter racing on a majority of speedways measuring longer than 1 mile, which includes Texas Motor Speedway.

STATEMENT FROM EDDIE GOSSAGE REGARDING RULES CHANGES

"This is great news from NASCAR and something we've been pushing for some time.  Right now, the drivers are just holding on for dear life every lap and they're not able to race each other; they're just trying to go as fast as they can - every lap. With a slower car, they can race each other. So you're going to see more lead changes, more side-by-side racing. I think it's going to be fantastic. It's going to lead to much better racing here at Texas Motor Speedway. I can't wait for 2019 to get here."

2019 RULES PACKAGE OVERVIEW

Aero Elements

Spoiler: 8" x 61"

Splitter: 2" overhang, 10.5" wings at ends of splitter (near tires)

Radiator pan: 37" in front tapered to 31" with vertical fences

Aero ducts: Used at majority of oval tracks larger than 1 mile

Engine Elements

750 HP: 1.17" tapered spacer (Used at short tracks and road courses)

550 HP: 0.922" tapered spacer (Used at oval tracks larger than 1 mile)

Miscellaneous

Enhanced vehicle chassis mandatory at all tracks (previously announced)

Adding 3 long block engine seals in points races. These are in addition to the 13 short block seals introduced this season.

25% reduction in testing (three organizational tests, down from four; three teams at each Goodyear test, down from four).

So.....I'm confused

Monster Energy Series to forgo restrictor plates at Daytona, ‘Dega

By
Zack Albert NASCAR.com October 2, 2018  at 1:01 pm

CONCORD, N.C. — NASCAR’s top division will race without engine restrictor plates at Daytona and Talladega next season for the first time in 32 years, instead relying on a smaller tapered spacer and increased aerodynamic downforce to reduce speeds at the circuit’s largest speedways.

The total effect of the smaller spacer, larger spoilers and splitters, plus aero ducts is expected to reduce horsepower and increase drag to replicate the current brand of racing in the patented tightly woven packs at those two superspeedways.

RELATED: Explaining 2019 rules

Current restrictor-plate engines make an estimated 410 horsepower. Tuesday’s rules increase the target horsepower to 550, but the aerodynamic devices are expected to offset that potential gain in the speed column. The change will not be in place for the 2019 Daytona 500, instead taking effect April 28 at Talladega.

“We wanted to keep the Daytona 500 as-is,” said Steve O’Donnell, NASCAR Executive Vice President and Chief Racing Development Officer. “There was a lot of engine inventory already out there. Teams had already begun preparing for the 500, so we wanted to hold the line there for 2019. And then as we started the season again from a superspeedway standpoint at Talladega, going to that 550 (horsepower) tapered spacer, we think will produce exactly what we’ve seen in the past, the side-by-side racing that fans love. So certainly we’ll learn some things along the way, but believe you’ll see very similar styles of racing at those tracks.”

2 hours ago, rebelracewriter said:

So.....I'm confused

Yeah, a writer who doesn’t know what they are talking about.

They aren’t restrictor plates. They are tapered spacers.

In fairness, I am not sure if it is NASCAR double-speak, or a writer out of their league.

That is awesome, they are making changes to make the races great again.  Hats off to em.   They hit home runs with the chase, the allstar rules package and the roval race.   Let hope they keep up the good work and it carries over to the new track at Alamo City.  Bit buzz in Nascar helps attract dollars to the track. 

23 hours ago, PAPosse said:

Yeah, a writer who doesn’t know what they are talking about.

They aren’t restrictor plates. They are tapered spacers.

In fairness, I am not sure if it is NASCAR double-speak, or a writer out of their league.

My confusion lies in their idea to take away horsepower with the tapered spacer(800 down to 500), but not use a restrictor plate at Dayotona or "dega, which increases horsepower from 400 to 500.....Either way just another gimmick to try to make racing more like IRL.....and we all know how that ended up.

15 hours ago, rebelracewriter said:

My confusion lies in their idea to take away horsepower with the tapered spacer(800 down to 500), but not use a restrictor plate at Dayotona or "dega, which increases horsepower from 400 to 500.....Either way just another gimmick to try to make racing more like IRL.....and we all know how that ended up.

The tapered spacer is really just a thicker plate with holes that are .....well.....tapered.

so they aren’t really getting rid of the plates at Daytona and Talladega.

I am sure there’s some sort of engineering effect having to do with air pressures and all that that is above my knowledge (the bar isn’t that high).

But its still a plate.

a restrictor plate does is not very good with throttle response.  In other words, when you smash the gas, not a lot of fuel is getting burned because it drops out of the air mixture.   With a tapered spacer, it slows the velocity down and the fuel burns more efficiently.   With the tapered spacer and fuel injection, it is much easier to fine tune an engine for maximum torque and horsepower when and where you need it, resulting in a more durable engine that can save teams money and even the playing field some.   Nothing wrong with a better power plant that saves money and is more consistant HP and torque wise.   These guys are hardly ever blow engines now like they did even just 10 years ago.  

So Nascar is doing a great job in trying. 

6 hours ago, toyotatim said:

a restrictor plate does is not very good with throttle response.  In other words, when you smash the gas, not a lot of fuel is getting burned because it drops out of the air mixture.   With a tapered spacer, it slows the velocity down and the fuel burns more efficiently.   With the tapered spacer and fuel injection, it is much easier to fine tune an engine for maximum torque and horsepower when and where you need it, resulting in a more durable engine that can save teams money and even the playing field some.   Nothing wrong with a better power plant that saves money and is more consistant HP and torque wise.   These guys are hardly ever blow engines now like they did even just 10 years ago.  

Well I can give credit where due.....Good explanation Tim....Thank you....I was curious how that might actually work with fuel injection/throttle body.

15 hours ago, rebelracewriter said:

Well I can give credit where due.....Good explanation Tim....Thank you....I was curious how that might actually work with fuel injection/throttle body.

My pleasure sir.   An example is when you watch these Super Late Models throwing flames in the corners, that is fuel that is not being burned.   Wasted fuel and energy.    These fuel injected with throttle bodies are not sensitive to the weather either.  They run just about as good regardless of the relative humidity, temperature, etc.   They put the right air/fuel mixture all of the time.    

Archived