Some new plans emerge for a San Antonio area paved oval

NickHolt

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, a very public flag has been raised up the mass media flagpole.  Thanks for running the story, Fox 29.

I can only hope that all the financing is 100% in place and that construction will begin soon. If so, I'm excited!  And even if the financing has yet to be determined, I hope that investors will take this awesome-sounding opportunity seriously and that we will soon have a major motorsports facility right outside the SA city limits. 

But over the past 15 years, or so, we've seen several well-meaning folks (maybe some not so well-meaning) get our hopes up only to have those dreams evaporate for one reason or another. Let's hope for the best this time around. 

Time will surely tell the story.

Now with all this they are trying to do sounds more like a deal to get public money like COT got. Using the passion racers have to gain support. I'm not holding my breath now. I'm afraid there's not enough support to operate 2 tracks, has not worked in the past. Hope I'm wrong.

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 12:36 PM, thumper said:

Now with all this they are trying to do sounds more like a deal to get public money like COT got. Using the passion racers have to gain support. I'm not holding my breath now. I'm afraid there's not enough support to operate 2 tracks, has not worked in the past. Hope I'm wrong.

well as long as they dont let a thumper run .they should be ok … both dirt and paved .  track .if they can get a shopping center .and hotels all involved ,that is a plus ..

Budman; Tavo is a stand up guy that did more for racing and racers in this part of the world than nearly anyone else, he’s not involved with this project but anyone would be lucky to have him involved.

The dirt track thing was a miscommunication with KABB, a rally cross and/or motor cross track has been mentioned in passing but nothing beyond that as far as dirt.

Essie and Parsa (the owner and his son) haven't asked for or received any public money and as of now that hasn’t been on anyone’s radar as far as I know, it hadn’t even crossed my mind until now.

Essie is a first generation American that got an engineering degree here and built a successful business around the elevator industry. Alamo City Motorplex is the culmination of a longtime dream for him and now his son; they’re dedicated to the idea of building ACM into a multi-use world class racing facility. He’s carving out his version of the American dream.

I heard about Essie’s plans to make ACM a world-class multiuse facility in July and since then have worked with him and his son to make that a reality; plans have changed a dozen times as various government entities have had their say but as of my conversations with the family last weekend a circle track is still #1 on the list of big additions to the facility. After initial conversations with Essie and Parsa I made the choice to make a public inquiry as to interest in a circle track at ACM and due to overwhelming response we moved forward with the project. Essie actually ended up at HoT speedway on a Friday afternoon trip from Dallas to ACM and that further galvanized his resolve to build this track.

Plans have changed again recently as Cibolo gave more free reign to what could be done on the property as long as commerical improvements where made. I’m currently working on layouts for a more exciting facility based upon new understandings with Cibolo and as those plans are firmed up they will be made public. Essie is an “all in” kind of guy, he wants the track on the ground ASAP and we’re working with him to make that possible. He has already spend a great few of time and money at ACM and as THE OWNER of the track (look it up if you wish) he is committed to its longterm success. He wants to make it a true 365 day a year facility with multiple racing disciplines, commercial interests and vacation facilities on site.

Nick Holt has said for years racing in this area needed a guy with a large amount of money and a love for racing to be involved to make it work here; well he’s here. Nick has also fought tooth and nail to ensure we have a civil and positive forum for our discussions and that has come in handy here too. I was out at the facility this morning checking for fiber optic internet splices in the area and was excited to see even more money had been spent on the track. I again encourage anyone interested in seeing what’s going on to go out to ACM, see with your own eyes what’s going on and spend a few minutes enjoying a conversation with Essie or Parsa. 

I’d like to state once again I’m not on anyone’s payroll; I’m helping out of my own pocket on my own time to make this a reality because I think it’s worth my time and money. I’m happy to take any question, abuse or suggestions you can throw my way; we haven’t taken anyone up on it yet but many have offered their time and effort to help and we appreciate that as well. 

4 hours ago, JamesHigdon said:

Budman; Tavo is a stand up guy that did more for racing and racers in this part of the world than nearly anyone else, he’s not involved with this project but anyone would be lucky to have him involved. 

Hi James.  Thanks for the update on this. I genuinely appreciate it.  With regard to Tavo, perhaps you misunderstood my mention of him.  What you say about him above is absolutely correct.  If you needed someone to get a big project like this up and running he'd be the first I'd think of to call on.  That's why I mentioned him.

Actually, I consider him a good friend of mine. Heck, I think I got his number here somewhere.  Haven't talked with him lately. 

2 hours ago, Budman said:

Hi James.  Thanks for the update on this. I genuinely appreciate it.  With regard to Tavo, perhaps you misunderstood my mention of him.  What you say about him above is absolutely correct.  If you needed someone to get a big project like this up and running he'd be the first I'd think of to call on.  That's why I mentioned him.

Actually, I consider him a good friend of mine. Heck, I think I got his number here somewhere.  Haven't talked with him lately. 

I did misunderstand you and I appreciate clearing that up; I can’t imagine anyone having anything bad to say about Tavo. I’ve put one one-hundredth of what he did on the line and it’s still a lot; I have a lot of respect for him. I’d certainly love to speak with him; I have no doubt he has ideas and angles I’ve never considered in relation to making this work.

2 hours ago, Budman said:

Thanks Nick.  That Marion location is where I thought this is, but in the news piece they mention "the south side" a couple of times.  That kind of had me confused.

You should have been around when they said “dirt track” and I about swallowed my tongue... I’ve had some interesting conversations over the past few days clarifying that for people. Local media is a great tool but their knowledge of our niche sport leaves something to be desired! 

Thanks for your efforts.  I am sure the changes are increasing it to 3/8 mile so there can be decent racing in the Pro Trucks, Modifieds and Late Models.  Thanks to Cibolo, I knew they would not be difficult to deal with and with this type of investment, there needs to be upside, like touring series etc.   

• 1 month later...
On 10/1/2018 at 9:15 AM, toyotatim said:

I can tell you this, I am extremely happy someone is stepping up to the plate and looking at doing this.  Having an opinion that there is not much upside to 1/4 mile track, is the way I feel. Building a subdivision in an upscale neighbor hood and letting trailer houses move would be a economic disaster.  That attitude reminds me of the current senate.  Regardless of what I think is right or the facts are, it will be challenged by the liberals.  I dont need to put my money anywhere.

Now I have read where there may be issues that require it being built over existing impervious surface.  I totally understand that, however going to the city/county agency that has put on that restriction would be well worth the time and effort for the upside potential of a 3/8 mile facility. 

It looks like going to the city/county paid off.  The 3/8 mile can tons of potential.   Time to rock and roll

2019 update on the Alamo City Motorplex circle track. Today the Mianabi family announced they’ve received NHRA sanctioning for the drag strip and have brought in a serious-professional management team to make it truly 1st class facility (visit the Alamo City Motorplex Facebook page to see how things are going and let them know you’re here!). I am currently working with the Mianabi’s on finding contractors to build the circle track as well as working with potential sponsors. We have city approval as well as a budget in mind for the project. The family wants this track built and they want cars on it as soon as is possible and I’m trying to help make that a reality.

The ownership of the track (and myself) haven’t asked for any help heretofore but that’s about to change slightly. This Saturday from 10-5 there’s going to be a cleanup day at the track to undo some of the neglect and damage done by previous tenants; I’m going to be there with a truck and a trailer cleaning up trash and helping as needed. I know it’s short notice but anyone that can help is welcome; there’s a lot of ground to cover and a lot of work to do. The budget for improvements at OUR track is large but it’s also finite and any money saved now can be spent later on other things. I’m hoping for some turnout from the circle track community to show the family we’re serious about our commitment to getting asphalt racing back in Central Texas. I’ll know tomorrow if any equipment is needed but as of right now I’ve been told all that’s needed is bodies.

Next; we need sponsors and we need friendly contractors. Both myself and the owners have contacts we’re working with as far as the site work, paving and walls at the track but more help never hurts. Again, the budget for this project is realistic but every dollar not spent today is one we can spend tomorrow on nicer lights, better pit parking, etc. If you are or you know of a contractor we should contact let me know. We’re in contact with sponsors but if you know of someone OR if you have contacts in a company we may not please help us out. NASCAR and the NFL need sponsors; so do we.

The attached picture is the circle track section of the final drawings presented to the city; I’d love to show the rest of the site plans but that’s for later ... needless to say 2019 is going to be exciting for our racing community.

No automatic alt text available.

Edited by TSRSONETWO