Some new plans emerge for a San Antonio area paved oval

NickHolt

Gotta say I saw some damn good TIDA/ROMCO races at CC Speedway. And some really good street stock and pure stock races there. I enjoyed every trip to Longhorn as well. So a 1/4 mile can work. When it opens I'll be there ,if STS isn't running, God willing.

Edited by arob

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, toyotatim said:

Just not much upside to a 1/4 mile track.  Wont get many, if any late models built for a 1/4 miler and doubt any touring series would come.   The corp sponsors want the late model clean looking nascar type cars.  These other ones are ok for support, but not your top class.   But, if you dont need sponsors and make it off of the the back gate, running the junkers will work

Tim putting your money where your mouth is would be the first step for you. Latemodels are very nice cars and very expensive machines. Love watching them but it’s alot easier to get 20 street stocks or hobby stocks to the track and they bring just as much money to your weekly track. 

If You build it they will come that's the bottom line! James and I knew there would be some Nativity and some positives on this track that's normal for racers! There's 1/4 mile tracks all of the country that run late models as well and they have great racing. But I did here that lastnight Essie is probably going to change it to 3/8 with really good banking. We all just need to stay postive about it and help support everything he's trying to do for us thats plan and simple as well! Thank you to AlamoCityRacingComplex.

Edited by fastmontgomery15

That's great news, we need a nice asphalt track that's local for San Antonions , we will support it , if I don't have a new car by opening night, I guarantee you I will be in the stands with my crew, I like the 1/4 mile over a 3/8 it's a whole lot easier on engines, and it's harder on body panels, but easier on frame damage, I'll be there anyway, and know that several others will be too, good luck to you good people and THANKS

On 9/28/2018 at 5:52 PM, TSRSONETWO said:

Tim putting your money where your mouth is would be the first step for you. Latemodels are very nice cars and very expensive machines. Love watching them but it’s alot easier to get 20 street stocks or hobby stocks to the track and they bring just as much money to your weekly track. 

I can tell you this, I am extremely happy someone is stepping up to the plate and looking at doing this.  Having an opinion that there is not much upside to 1/4 mile track, is the way I feel. Building a subdivision in an upscale neighbor hood and letting trailer houses move would be a economic disaster.  That attitude reminds me of the current senate.  Regardless of what I think is right or the facts are, it will be challenged by the liberals.  I dont need to put my money anywhere.

Now I have read where there may be issues that require it being built over existing impervious surface.  I totally understand that, however going to the city/county agency that has put on that restriction would be well worth the time and effort for the upside potential of a 3/8 mile facility. 

I know times are changing. I race all the 90's at Longhorn and loved it. My first race at CC Speedway was a post season race in 92 with a bunch of us Longhorn guys going down . We had a blast !  I'm sure if it is built there will be plenty of people willing to race a 1/4 mile track.

2 hours ago, arob said:

That 92 race was awesome! We went to Longhorn (spectating) several times and always had a good time there.I hope it happens for you asphalt guys.

a short track finds out who the best is . a low budget team can win from the back . I was very low budget at cc and won a few races from the back .just had to work on getting through the turns over the money motors with  new tires every week and me running those hand me down tires .. that is why I think a short track is perfect  for sa ..

Edited by HiTech

On 10/6/2018 at 7:11 AM, JamesHigdon said:

The drift track group is on board with this project now; in order to maximize space and minimize cost we are working together.

Working together. What a concept!  

Though I am no longer living there, its good to see a track in the works.  Out here in CA, the drifting and drag races at Irwindale attract good crowds (even though the place seemed destined to close recently).

Best of luck to everyone involved.  

I know its been already stated but any asphalt track that is built is better than what you have now, 1 active track, 1 track being used as a storage facility, 1 track being wasted in the weeds, and 1 track completely gone.  So let these people build a track that they want to build,  as it was stated they only have room to put in a 1/4 mile track.  So if you want a 3/8 mile track build your own or just be happy there will possibly be 2 running asphalt tracks in the state of Texas.

54 minutes ago, Nathan said:

Guys let's keep this positive and about the track please.  I would hate to see this thread locked or vanished. 

Thanks for keeping up with the moderating, Nathan.  This thread looks OK now!

! ! ! !  Been hopin' & waitin' for a thread like this to show up ! ! ! !  Been so long since I've been to a race anywhere shoot I can't even remember how long. Hope this all works out.  Oh, and by the way, the best racing I ever watched was  at Speed-o-rama and Pan Am.

Edited by Budman
correct spacing

In the scheme of things track size shouldn't be an issue for you asphalt dudes. 1/4 mile may wrinkle some bodies but from what I saw at SAS a good wreck wrinkles up frames. Bodies are easier to repair and alot less down time and expense thenframes.

Edited by SouthTxPromotions

50 minutes ago, SouthTxPromotions said:

In the scheme of things track size shouldn't be an issue for you asphalt dudes. 1/4 mile may wrinkle some bodies but from what I saw at SAS a good wreck wrinkles up frames. Bodies are easier to repair and alot less down time and expense thenframes.

agree.....a good laid out 1/4 mile makes a great track ..my son me and so many have raced three wide at cc and that track isn't that wide .cc use to be the fastest 1/4 mile in the world and was so for many a year ..some of the best racers big named racer raced at cc ….it really comes down to the talent of racers ..

32 minutes ago, thumper said:

Is this new asphalt track really happening ? If so, will they race 4 cyl cars ? And will they be real race cars or mini bombers ? I have a SCCA pavement car that would be a good oval car is why Im asking.

Is that car thumper three ...we still have a tps car thumper and I bet seeing they have not started the track I suppose the four bangers will be the first class they think about ..top of the list .the first on the list .number one  and of course your neck of the woods   uno …:lol:

Edited by HiTech