Lone Star Speedzone site to close effective October 1, 2018

NickHolt

On 9/5/2018 at 8:07 PM, King237 said:

This says effective Oct 1 2019. Is that correct Nick or are you playing with our emotions? Hopefully its 2019

so something can be worked out

I fixed my typo.  It's 2018, not 2019.

For anyone who might be interested:

At it's peak, the site had around 20,000 unique visitors a month.  Unique visitor means that even if I log in a hundred times a month, I'm only counted one time that month.  So HiTech checking in 20 times a day didn't inflate the numbers. He was only counted once.

RIght now the site still generates around 8,000 unique visitors a month.,  That's a lot of eyeballs!

Most people logging on to the site do not post. And most folks visit more than one of the numerous LSSZ sections. The most visited sections are the classifieds and the history sections.  

Regarding advertising:  Once the high number of unique visitors started to come down, I stopped billing those 8 or 10 advertisers who were  paying monthly. I just didn't feel right billing for something that was on the decline. The LSSZ software has the capacity to put banner ads and other advertising methodology that I have not used.  But someone buying the site sure could. I still get inquiries from folks wanting to advertise every now and then and I'm pretty sure at least some of the previous advertisers would want to come back on board.

Bottom line is that I cannot afford the recurring costs of keeping the site up and - at age 74 - it's not fair to my family to keep hitting the family budget. If you're interested in buying the site or contributing $300 a month, get in touch with me.

Nick

I will say that if it wasn't for LSSZ I probably wouldn't be where I am today as a stock car photographer. While the ride has been bumpy at times, I can look back and see that the requirement was limited on my behalf and when we found our "sweet spot" then it worked out pretty good. 

Even after moving to NC, from NY and TX, I still posted a few shots here and there.

Thanks for the effort, Nick!!!

Nick, I greatly appreciate you keeping this forum up as long as you can. If someone were to put the work in I'd pay a membership fee to keep it going. I'm mostly on here for racing updates in the community, classifieds and good humor. 

Without this forum I wouldn't have been able to build my Super Stock nor would I even be racing now. Between this forum and my Dad I owe my stock car racing passion too. 

With all this talk about racing in SA and HMP having a bunch more races a year, we need an alternate. I WON'T USE FACEBOOK

I have heard from a few folks who are willing to help with the site's expenses. If anyone would like to be part of that team, I need a commitment of at least $50 a month from a few more. I guess I underestimated the role LSSZ has played over the years and if enough actual (not folks who say they will but never do) come forward, I will keep the site open.

If you have a business and would like to contribute in a substantial way ($50, or more a month), I would open the classifieds up to your business as a way to say thank you. The classifieds are by far and away the biggest hit section on LSSZ.

Nick

Nick

As others have said, a huge Thank You for everything you've personally done over the years to keep this site going.    You are a huge asset to Texas racing.    It has been great, especially for those of us social media challenged or social media averse might be the better term, to keep up with Texas racing, especially So Tx racing.    It's been great keeping up with all the racing history especially.

At the end of the month, we are calling it quits for awhile after spending almost 54 years in Texas.    Relocating to South Carolina to call it home.     If there is anything left after Florence comes calling this week...coincidentally...that's where we will be settling...Florence.     Was there over Labor Day weekend to house hunt, while it was throwback weekend at Darlington.    It was hard not to head to the track seeing all the teams and crews around town.

Good luck with the fundraising to keep this very necessary and very wanted racing site going.    Hope to do more than wish you luck soon.

Best wishes everyone....

Billy Bailey

Lets all do something.........we cant loose any thing else with racing in TEXAS.

2.00/3.00 per classified 

25/30..00 membership fee a year

.50 to a 1.00..... 1 time access fee

sell adds to company's...but that you have to go to NOT pop up's like racejunk

small fee to tracks for weekly info

Go support a local track....

Todd mc

nick,

starting in october around the 14th, i will start helping out with the $50 per month.  Just let me know where to pay from that time on.  But will be committed to doing whatever possible to help keep it operating.  There is no site like lssz.  I can also pay a yearly membership fee. 

Jerry

Archived