Lone Star Speedzone site to close effective October 1, 2018

NickHolt

I can not afford to keep the site up, so I will be closing Lone Star Speedzone effective October 1st. This will give folks time to download stuff they want to save from the forums

There's 16 years of Texas Stock Car racing history in the forums and it's a shame to lose all that,  but the only way I can keep it up and running is if someone wants to fund the site ($300 a month) or if someone wants to buy it outright  from me.

Nick

Well hell....there goes my raise<_<

Seriously there's a couple options I can think of off the top of my head;

1) gofundme or something like that

2) "user" owned...How many regulars posters are there? 100?...three bucks/month, 300?.....a buck/month....Y'all get the math.

3) Where's the head monkey Jason?....Maybe he's flipped enough houses to take back control....It was his dream/idea after all.

8 hours ago, JMcCain8 said:

Oh my what in the world is HiTech going to do with his self now?! 

Now u have that off your chest        .AND    you found something simple to say can you think of any other constructive ideas on how to save speedzone  or would that be asking to much . 

15 minutes ago, Bobby said:

I suspect it would be a substantial undertaking to implement a paywall.  Very likely more technically involved, more expensive and  with less financial reward than Nick would want to deal with.  

Correct. I would love to keep LSSZ up and running, but I'm not about to chase membership fees.... especially when Facebook is free.

It is going to take someone funding the site at $300 a month or someone purchasing the site from me.

Nick

Nick thanks for keeping the site going for this long.  In all honesty I'm surprised it has stuck around this long.  When this site started there was myspace but not facebook, twitter, Instagram, snapchat.  In the beginning there was a lot of traffic and posts on the daily, I can remember when the Sundays and Mondays after a weekend at THR or CCS you couldn't wait to get on LSSZ to see who was fighting at the track the night before.  When the tracks started dwindling so did the posts here.  If you go back the past year or two you see the same 10-15 posters in the actual forum section where used to you would have 50-60 different posters.  So once again Nick thanks for keeping it going, I'll have to change up my morning routine of websites I check every morning.

12 hours ago, King237 said:

This says effective Oct 1 2019. Is that correct Nick or are you playing with our emotions? Hopefully its 2019

so something can be worked out

Sorry for the typo.  It is 2018, not 2019.

Mark Stevens has been the reason why the site has stayed up this long. He has helped me out in so many ways, including helping fund some of the fees.  Mark supported the site because he believed in me and in what the site was trying to accomplish.

Thanks a million, Mark. I wish there were a way to repay you for all your technical and financial support.

Nick

I have enjoyed the  few years I have been a part of speedzone  .I have never really   gotten mad at anyone seriously that I could not easily get over    . I have been in trouble with nick so many times and a few others here I could say that was an honor  .I know so many cant stand when I post or what I may post whether it made sense  or piss poor spelling   or what ever .but good or bad I have met many new friends here  that would have been impossible otherwise . I have learned so many things I could not have  elsewhere  and maybe someone learned from me .. I consider all speedzone fans family .. I will miss speedzone for I do not go on facebook  twitter god forbid if I did   so everyone is safe .. . but remember ill always cherish the time we have spent friend or foe . sadly we have lost many to lifes ending but many I would have never heard their story if not for speedzone .. racing family is really a true family .and speedzone has been a avenue for all ......I wished  I could sponsor speedzone and would in a  heartbeat but it isn't meant to be  . under my name hitech is all time champ that does not fit .That would be more fitting for the one and only NICK HOLT,  nick I have to give thanks where it is due   we started off not so well we have had our small problems but over the last few years I become to really understand your true meaning   .you really do love racing you really do care about your family here  and you really are a true  friend .  god blessed you and us  .   I JUST know nick you are going to miss  me on here your going to miss dang what did he say .head shaking .editing .getting on me and such ..OLDTIMER

Agree with everything HiTech said and this post was clear lol. But yes, thank you Nick for everything and all of the people I've met through here, even people I only see here and wouldn't know if I was standing next to them, and the countless reports and info from all around Texas. On a personal note, I enjoyed writing race summaries from tracks I was at and glad to know others read them too. I can think Reb for that, probably the only time I put my English degree to use. It will be sad and definitely different without LSSZ, so thank you for all that everyone has done on here, the people I've met or followed on here, and even to the silent ones that followed everything in this forum. 

16 hours ago, Josh42 said:

So once again Nick thanks for keeping it going, I'll have to change up my morning routine of websites I check every morning.

This for sure. I have my routine and I sure hate to mess with my routine.

2 minutes ago, top_shelf_12 said:

to the silent ones that followed everything in this forum. 

This also. I know there are a LOT of those out there, myself included most of the time.

Not quite ready to say Goodbye as some of you are. This has been a great site and one that's not for everyone. I myself was a "guest" for many years before I became a member and then only silently followed and read the interesting things, never commenting. Then I realized this place was like a family and posted some. Always nice people and Hi Tech/Oldtimer, I have probably read every post you ever made and never  got mad at you or even judged your spelling.I read and digested the comments, post, pictures, history, announcements, track news and sadly the obituaries. Like Hi Tech, would never have known any of this w/o LSSZ. This was done in a class and professional way with no bashing and cussing allowed (and it was STILL interesting). Nick Holt made all this possible because he had a clear and present passion and vision for having a site the way it should be....his way. I will miss who won or lost, your opinions and thoughts, your parts for sale, your remembrance of history but most of all the family like atmosphere that has enriched my life over the past several years, Selfishly, I don't want this site to ever end and reluctantly will not accept it ending but its Nicks call, not ours. Thank You Nick Holt for all that you contributed to our sport. One more thing;  I liken this site to the electronic version of National Speed Sport News of which I was a reader/subscriber for many years. I absolutely loved reading the results from all over the USA...never knew the drivers but imagined what the track was like, how a certain driver behaved or mis-behaved , and saw the pictures of how cars looked elsewhere. These things were interesting to me.

Thanks a million Nick for your work in keeping a nice site...I believe for fifteen years at least and for you folks who contributed so much to make the site what it became......"UNIQUE"..... for there will only ever be one LSSZ. 

Your Friend, King237

Archived