Holy mackeral

toyotatim

Racing overload this weekend.  The Nascar truck race was awesome.  Another last lap takeout by teammates on the road course.  In Xfinity, Justin Algair and the road pro James Davison went head to head at the end.  WOW  Nascar delivered AGAIN.  And the stands were awesome .  WINK WINK

In Maine, Bubba Pollard had to start a Heat Race in the rear. finished 7th and had to run a consi race to make the show.  He run second in the consi and started 29 in the Oxford Plains 250.  These guys races 3 wide for several hundred laps man.  He finally got up front and won the $25,000 payday.   This was about 7 hours of racing. 

I have to say you have to question why someone like Bubba Pollard who has won almost every Big Money Super Late Model show except the Snowball hasn't been sought out by someone in the upper tier.  Is Super Late Models not the plucking ground for new age NASCAR drivers?

18 year old Bubba Pollard made it to the final 25 contestants of the 2005 Jack Roush Gong Show (over 1700 applicants).  The winner in 2005 was Erik Darnell who was awarded the opportunity to drive a Roush-fielded Craftsman Truck for the 2006 season.  The final 25 competed against each other on the Martinsville track, as well as marketability factors (such as doing a dummy TV commercial; interviews, etc), rapport with crew chief, etc.  Bubba didn't make it to the round of 12, and further testing at Darlington.

If I recall, Bubba did OK with the driving part of contest;  but his other non-driving skills weren't as polished as the other contestants.

http://www.jayski.com/cts/gongshow2005.htm

Martinsville - Day 1: Bubba Pollard wasn't sure what to expect at Martinsville Speedway Tuesday. He certainly didn't expect to be the center of attention so early in the first day of Jack Roush's talent search for talented young race drivers. Pollard, who normally drives Late Model Stock Cars in the Southeast, was the driver picked to take the track first in Roush's "Gong Show" Tuesday morning. "He (Jack Roush) called out a few names to go out first and I was the first one he called out," said the 18-year-old driver from Senoia, Georgia. "I was pretty shocked. I didn't now what to think. "In a way it (going out first) puts pressure on you because you have to set the tone for everything, but the pressure is off after you get it done. But you still have the pressure knowing how you did and what everyone things about you."
Roush, who owns NEXTEL Cup, Busch Grand National and NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series teams, is conducting what has become an annual talent search. This year a different twist has been added though - reality television. The entire process is being filmed to be aired during the fall and winter on The Discovery Channel. The competition continues Wednesday and Thursday at Martinsville Speedway. The field of 25 young drivers from all across America and two foreign countries will be trimmed after Thursday and the competition will resume at Darlington Raceway in two weeks.
The winner of the competition is guaranteed a ride with Roush Racing on the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series in 2006. Ten drivers were put through the paces Wednesday in what turned out to be a much longer-than-expected day, with action not winding down until almost dark. But the long hours and torrid temperatures could not wilt the spirits of the young drivers. "It was just a total awesome feeling just to feel it," said 25-year-old Scott Lynch of Burley, Idaho. "Now not only have I see Martinsville with my own eyes, I've actually been on the track. That's something I'm proud to say. I think that's pretty cool." The competition is open to spectators at no charge. Gates will open at 8 a.m. Wednesday and Thursday.(Martinsville Speedway)(8-2-2005)

Without a doubt, it takes a little more than talent.  It takes about 5 million for a quality Xfinity ride to see if you have what it takes to go to the Cup deal.     There are probably thousands as talented as he is that are not even fortunate enough to race a street stock, much less a  super late model, due to funding.  It is all relative, talent can only take you as far as your checkbook or sponsors checkbook will take you.  It has always been that way and always will be.   Talent and money are only part of the package it takes.  Those two are probably the easiest to come by.   Chemistry among the crew chief, team and drive, and luck is difficult to buy.   Not many people ever get to strap into a Super Late Model.    Bubba is blessed and content.   Many are not near as fortunate

Archived