Bristol

toyotatim

13 hours ago, rebelracewriter said:

Ummmmm....What's "unreal" were all the empty seats for the Bristol night race!

I dont watch the stands.  I watch the race.   That place holds 160,000 people.   So even half full was a lot of people, even with the potential for rain.  It is better to see the good in something, otherwise, how are we going to get a track built around here?  Why would anyone build a track if all they read is the death of Nascar?  Why would anyone sponsor a car if all is dead?   The business is tough enough, fighting off the haters makes one wonder if it is worth it to build a car, sponsor a car or build a track.  

Why not help fill those seats rather than empty it?

Nothing lasts forever, and I give Nascar credit for trying new things.  Lets hope they continue to stir the pot thinking outside of the box.  A whole lot of it is working.  They need a pat on the back every now and then.  We need them to prosper so the local tracks can have some of the carry over and momentum.    

Lets hope they continue to stir the pot thinking outside of the box.  A whole lot of it is working.  They need a pat on the back every now and then.  We need them to prosper so the local tracks can have some of the carry over and momentum.   

You mean like doubling down on a(another) bad idea by putting restrictor plates on cars on mile and half tracks?

And I disagree....NA$CAR needs local racing to survive, not the other way around.

This is an interesting read hopefully there is some truth to this.

While that sounds like a great idea, and it is(to me), the majority of the tracks are owned by only two groups(SMI and ISC).....What tracks would fill the void created if it happened? That trio(ISC, SMI, NA$CAR) is basically tied to themselves at the hip.....They need each other to survive....I don't think ISC and SMI would be so willing to give up dates and still provide the other venues so jovially and without getting additional money for the lost events/revenue....It will be interesting to see how that all plays out....in three years...lol 

Why not help fill those seats rather than empty it?

My little $1.98 opinions have ZERO to do with the decline of NA$CAR.....It all starts at the top!....Sponsors are seeing what's going on and I'm 100% certain it has nothing to do with me....I'm just a minnow in the ocean and have no pull or national publications printing op-eds of mine.

We are trying to get local racing going again and local sponsorship is necessary.  The new track owner and potential sponsors see that Nascar Bashing and run away fast. 

PS   I have never watched a race to look at the stands.  I watch the drama and there is plenty of it.  

COMPLAINING   BASHING BITCHING What ever you want to call it .when enough of your fan base does it ......there is a problem .and nascar has done a poor job at fixing it .I will give em credit they seem to be going somewhat in the right direction . local tracks don't need nascar   I have not heard of a rookie never raced driver starting out in nascar so he can move down to local racing . works the other way around  if nascar was to shut down just think of the percentage of those fans would find a local track for their sickness .  ...

I hope HMP makes it and thrives . And I hope the three tracks in my neck of the woods continue to be successful. And hopefully NASCAR will make a comeback. toyotatim  is right abouts fans watching the race and not the stands. Problem is television execs and sponsors look at ratings and what is in the stands. I-37 , Texana and especially South Texas Speedway have strong sponsors , pretty full to full stands every race date. It is because they offer a good product and a fan friendly atmosphere. I haven't been to a NASCAR race so don't know about the atmosphere but the product is trending the right way. More short tracks on the schedule is , I think , the key. The fans want it and the drivers want it. NASCAR has to make it happen.

Just my opinion, think more short tracks will give that local feel and would help the fan base grow, not to mention, it usually brings in a better race. Of course, NASCAR is based on speed too so they need the Daytonas, Talladegas, Indys, but get back some of those short tracks and away from the 1.5 cookie cutter races, especially the ones they get so strong out and boring on. Think they run enough races to afford more short tracks and think the Eldora Truck experiment has worked. Would like to see more of that personally. These guys are supposed to be the best of the best, can imagine a race with their names on tracks like Eldora, Knoxville, or maybe Lucas Oil. Maybe some of the PA Posse tracks if they're large enough. Not sure about the rest of the nation, but seems like the dirt tracks are the ones running and asphalt tracks are sparse, at least in Texas. HMP running a fairly large schedule planned for 2019 is encouraging and of course would love to see a track open/re-open near SA or Cen-Tex and CCS get back to where it was. TIDA/Romco races were well liked/attended, ASA at SAS seemed to go well and SAS was a hotspot at one time and may be again soon. I grew up watching asphalt but when the tracks started to go, we started going to dirt tracks and both can offer a great product and both have thrived together before. Does your local track need NASCAR? I don't think so, but if NASCAR is thriving, the sport as a whole is noticed and think that may help with sponsorship and attendance for sure, but we're pretty lucky to have great products that tracks I've been to recently have a fair to excellent attendance and sponsorship despite NASCAR'S struggles. I don't think the face of NASCAR (business wise) having legal issues or one of their top drivers getting into an altercation with a fan helps either.

• 2 weeks later...

So the 2017 NASCAR Championship Team and Contender for 2018 Championship one of the Big 3 is now closing its door after this season.  What does that show you.  This is a team that has a highly marketable driver and team do to being one of the best and they cant find sponsorship.  Who does MTJ go to now?  Gibbs cant afford to add MTJ to his roster because who does he get rid of?  Then it creates a whole new conundrum with Christopher Bell sitting in the wings waiting.  Gibbs has already said he let Larson slip through he was going to let Bell go through.  I haven't heard if JJ has a sponsor for next year yet.  You can say the racing is good and it has been but when you got championship teams shutting down what do you say then?

7 hours ago, Josh42 said:

So the 2017 NASCAR Championship Team and Contender for 2018 Championship one of the Big 3 is now closing its door after this season.  What does that show you.  This is a team that has a highly marketable driver and team do to being one of the best and they cant find sponsorship.  Who does MTJ go to now?  Gibbs cant afford to add MTJ to his roster because who does he get rid of?  Then it creates a whole new conundrum with Christopher Bell sitting in the wings waiting.  Gibbs has already said he let Larson slip through he was going to let Bell go through.  I haven't heard if JJ has a sponsor for next year yet.  You can say the racing is good and it has been but when you got championship teams shutting down what do you say then?

Rumor has it Truex to JGR....So that's interesting!

You're pretty brave leaving Timmy that open-ended question....LOL.....I'm sure he'll find a way to spin it.

17 hours ago, Josh42 said:

Mr. Barney is a prime example of what it takes to win a championship.   He funded it with a few sponsors, but primarily his own money.   He is located in Colorado, not exactly the most efficient location to run a Nascar team.  He never really was in it to run a racing team, it was more of a hobby for him.    Now that he is getting older and even having health problems, the first thing to go are expensive hobbies.   

Mr. Truex will be funded on Joe Gibbs team.  The odd man out will probably by Daniel S.   Furniture Row is a Gibbs supported team already, so this is more like a consolidation.   Mr. Barney had a great run, but like everything else, it gets old when you are paying the bills.

By the way, did you see the stands this weekend?  Holy Moly there were a lot of people there

In reality, Joe Gibbs racing did not like getting beat by their own equipment and continued to raise the costs of support to Mr. Barney.  That is why GMS racing did not make a deal with Mr Barney to buy it, because the technical alliance had to go with it and they did not want to pay the price Gibbs was charging.    Mr Barney said to heck with the price gouging and just shut it down.  He does not need it.  He sells mattresses for a living.

4 hours ago, toyotatim said:

In reality, Joe Gibbs racing did not like getting beat by their own equipment and continued to raise the costs of support to Mr. Barney.  That is why GMS racing did not make a deal with Mr Barney to buy it, because the technical alliance had to go with it and they did not want to pay the price Gibbs was charging.    Mr Barney said to heck with the price gouging and just shut it down.  He does not need it.  He sells mattresses for a living.

I don’t think you can rule out his health issues as a consideration either.

less viewership/attendance >>>less sponsorship dollars >>> less teams >>> repeat

Archived