An 11-year-old boy dying from leukemia wants racing stickers for his casket

rebelracewriter

20 hrs · 

Words cannot describe how grateful we are and how amazing people have been about sending stickers. With that being said, I am pretty sure we have met our quota!!! No need too send more! 1f642.png:) 

Thank you all who helped make this happen for Caleb!! The generosity of complete strangers has been so amazing. 

Thank you all so much!! 2764.png<3 2764.png<3
 — with John Hammond.39515201_10155813810177934_2258104838560677888_n.jpg.9abda444b956e10dcdfe1e49d56fd153.jpg

Rebel, If you could get this to their face book i would really appreciate it!

Caleb,

As a driver battling Leukemia myself and being a hawkeye myself....Keep up the good fight buddy! We are one family and we battle this as a team. We will keep you in our thoughts and know the racing community is right next to you! All you have to do is pass it high on the outside! 

Nitro 

11 hours ago, drew said:

Rebel, If you could get this to their face book i would really appreciate it!

Caleb,

As a driver battling Leukemia myself and being a hawkeye myself....Keep up the good fight buddy! We are one family and we battle this as a team. We will keep you in our thoughts and know the racing community is right next to you! All you have to do is pass it high on the outside! 

Nitro 

I'll see what I can do for you Drew

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

SAD  .least he got to enjoy what time he had left he got more than he expected  from people he will never have a chance to meet and thank . the family was able to have and give their son something they will cherish this is one of many reason face book twitter speedzone and others are good . I READ of him here . .we would have never heard of this young man otherwise ...RIP YOUNG MAN . 

My thoughts yesterday when I read the news:

As I'm struggling for the right words I realize there are none. However, two observations I've made in instances like this: 1. Children are our greatest warriors. They fight the hardest and have the strongest will to keep on until their last breath. 2. Children can bring out the best in humanity. A child's one simple wish led to overwhelming support from all over the nation. He wanted stickers and he got them, in surplus, most from people that have never met him or his family. He also got to live out a few dreams in the last few weeks of his young life. He got a ride along in a $3 million Ferrari race car that was sent from Florida. He also drove (and won) in a dirt stock car. He won so much more than a race, he won the hearts of many. He won by living life to the fullest. He won by being an inspiration to many others. I saw an article a few days ago about how we shouldn't say someone lost the battle to cancer, especially in childhood cancer. Caleb Hammonds did not lose anything, he won and is in the Winner's Circle now where cancer can no longer affect him. Please keep his family and friends in your thoughts as they mourn his passing but as someone else said, this isn't a good bye, it's a see you later.

7 hours ago, top_shelf_12 said:

My thoughts yesterday when I read the news:

As I'm struggling for the right words I realize there are none. However, two observations I've made in instances like this: 1. Children are our greatest warriors. They fight the hardest and have the strongest will to keep on until their last breath. 2. Children can bring out the best in humanity. A child's one simple wish led to overwhelming support from all over the nation. He wanted stickers and he got them, in surplus, most from people that have never met him or his family. He also got to live out a few dreams in the last few weeks of his young life. He got a ride along in a $3 million Ferrari race car that was sent from Florida. He also drove (and won) in a dirt stock car. He won so much more than a race, he won the hearts of many. He won by living life to the fullest. He won by being an inspiration to many others. I saw an article a few days ago about how we shouldn't say someone lost the battle to cancer, especially in childhood cancer. Caleb Hammonds did not lose anything, he won and is in the Winner's Circle now where cancer can no longer affect him. Please keep his family and friends in your thoughts as they mourn his passing but as someone else said, this isn't a good bye, it's a see you later.

Like.jpg

So Sad to hear of this. I have lost words to describe how losing one to the same cancer that runs through your own veins feels especially a young one with a full life waiting for him. I sometimes wonder how I have been so lucky while young children like Caleb and many others were not.  Its a selfish feeling yet one I cant run from or not think about when things like this come to light.  I hope Caleb knew he isn't alone and that he will forever be with us in the the car and on the track.  And I hope that when the day comes its my turn, Caleb and all of the young kids that have beat me to the front can show me how they do it up there as ill be a rookie once again.

To Caleb's family, I will ensure that Caleb is honored in our next wrap for the 2019 season. Its the fighting spirit that he showed that needs to help fuel all of us to not only keep pursuing the cure but keep the focus on the more important things in life. And being he is high on the outside passing all of us up to the front, we will do everything we can to put the express on the wall so he can see the wave every time we go by. 

This is on the roof of the car Caleb drove, it's normally driven by a 12 year old young man. He's raced in 18 events this season and has done 59 appearances for Childhood cancer related events this season. Quite a prolific story this young man has gone through. But Drew, and everyone else for that matter, think this is an amazing quote and this young man gets it.

FB_IMG_1536804822041.jpg

Top.....There is nothing more truthful than that quote.  Teaching kids at the dojo adds to this everyday. It is life changing not just in kids but adults too. However a young child who didnt ask for it, didnt wish for it is what gets me the most. Many people go thru life taking everything they can for granted with selfish purposes without regard to anyone else that may have it worse. They live on the crutch of " what do i get out of it" before thinking someone else really may need that who has never asked for anything. And it drives me insane. Children that have lost their parents to combat, terrorism, or some random act of stupidity or parents who have lost a child to a cancer or disease out of their control are the ones we need to help make awareness for.  I could never imagine not having my girls around or my grandson around due for any reason.  So not only will next year be for our vets that we do this for but also for our children that have this cancer.  

12 hours ago, top_shelf_12 said:

Drew, you're a stand up guy and I don't think it's selfish at all. Miss seeing you on the track and hope you're health is good or improving. Your wraps always looked good so can't wait to see it.

Thanks Top....Just a normal guy trying to do the right thing in life. And I fail all the time.  We have been having motor gremlins and I think we have figured out why. waiting for a few more parts to get in then might make another race this year. The wrap for next season is in design phase and hope to top our last one. lol..Thanks for your support bro...My health is good. I found out that I have skin cancer also however im having it removed next monday.  Lukemia is under control and the chemo has it in an undetectable state.  Hope all is well with you all also. miss seeing yall at the track but we are returning for sure. 

I LAID three weeks on my back after getting hit by a car .lost muscle on my left leg and was very close to loosing my whole leg by a hair .this was 1971. ..the doc sent me to driscoll childrens hospital I was over age then but  the emergency  it was the only place that could handle game green .. here I was laying there thinking this isn't good if the skin graft wont take  what about boy scouts bike riding and every other thing I need legs for .. and I realized its just a leg ill be fine with out it if needed ... .. I had spent many nights trying to sleep with all the sick babies and kids from I day old to 12 years old crying in sickness and pain that carried down the halls  the families crying from loosing a child  ...for many nothing could be done to heal them it just a matter of time and for three weeks I heard that time come more than I want too  or can  remember ...those nights come back every time I see or hear a child sick and knowing they don't have a chance .I remember a 9 year old boy who came back time and time again from sickness the doc could not find  ,he goes home fine and comes back a day later sick .his parents never came to the hospital that I never seen . that leaves you with a thought .they could have been the problem ..anyway he would come down to my room and visit  and  watch tv  share my cakes, fruit with me ,his name was billy and when I could get into a wheel chair he loved to  push  me up and down the hall ways ..after a week he died and never knew why  makes me wonder did I give that young man a happy life he had left not knowing it,  was I a brother .a friend   he so dearly needed   I hope so  ....  the words on that roof ring true ..it will change your life forever ......

Cancer sucks regardless of age. Drew, I'm glad the health is fine and you're getting the skin issue taken care of. Mike, exactly. We could be having the worse time in our lives, then you see something like that and realize a lot of more important things. Not to downplay cancer in adults, but at least we have attempted life. Hearing about a child with terminal illness is so devastating yet the few stories or children I've met seem to fight harder and make the best out of it. It's inspiring despite the sadness. 

Archived