Another NASCAR discussion

Josh42

So with all the talk the past couple of days from the drivers saying they need to change up the schedule and visit more short tracks do you think NASCAR will listen?

The TV Contracts will be up in 2024 do you think that will be the end NASCAR or will it go what the Indy Car Series is?

It may be too late to restore NASCAR's glory days.  Too many of us former die-hard fans have long since found other things to do with our time than to waste on an all-too-predictable,  money-driven, made -for-TV,  who cares what make of car it is, contrived, gimmicky, boring fiasco. 

I say, let it fade into the sunset like 8-track tapes, black and white TV's, HP 100 laser printers and other things that only collectors give a hoot about. 

Give me replicas of Pan American Speedway, Longhorn Speedway and a freshly-paved CC Speedway all within a 100-mile radius and all running the same rules with San Antonio Speedway hosting once-a-month  "Texas State Championship" events when the other three tracks all shut down for the big monthly event. 

It's a dream in my old age, but could still happen if the right folks would just get in touch with me...

Until people can-again feel a connection with what NASCAR is and who it is for nothing else matters.

Let me put it like this; how many people you think that have been to Eldora and liked it missed the truck race there? I turn off Cup races on Sunday (unless I need a nap) but I closed down our shop early and brought dinner home so I could watch Eldora with my kid. If Cup cars where representative of what people drove on the street how much more interesting would it be? If the average Cup race had guys you had grown up watching at your local track instead of the rich-sons of rich-people would you care more? For team stick and balls sports it's easy; the Cowboys are Dallas' team and the Panthers are Carolina's team, etc. For NASCAR there aren't really any driver's the average person can identify with; hell there isn't even a competitive Texan in NASCAR anymore. NASCAR lost it's way when it lost it's roots and until that is fixed nothing else matters. Putting Cup cars back onto tracks people care about would make a big difference; kill Homestead and make Wilkesboro or 5-flags or WIR the season finale and see what ratings look like.

Not only did NASCAR screw itself but it hurt asphalt racing in general I feel. I think it is more than coincidence that short track asphalt declined at near the same rate as NASCAR. I know a lot of tracks went the way of expanding cities etc. But the interest was slipping as well. I grew up on asphalt first with CC Speedway in the 50's , 60's and most of the 70's ending after Owen moved to STS. then San Antonio Speedway in the 80's and early 90's.. Racing was great back then. Went to Riverside a few times didn't like dirt back then. Then I started going to the modified nationals in McAllen. I was blown away by the 150+ car counts with racers from several states. And the racing was incredible! Then Owen took over CC Speedway and the racing was great there up until he left for STS and it seemed the racers followed. It has been dirt for me ever since. Went to Kyle a few times but it wasn't the same. SAn Antonio Speedways Octoberfast was always good. But now dirt delivers more excitement.

NASCAR has lost touch with todays car enthusiasts as they still use dinosaur technology  Push rod engines are obsolete. Cookie cutter cars are boring. RWD doesn't exist much anymore. Racing in general is still selling the same show for 50 years. The "fast and the furious" crowd are  todays hot-rodder.. What oval track has cars that interest them ?  They are at the drag strip. All we do is preach to the choir.

Now with this in mind and seeing what's going on around the Country, I think a new series is badly needed. It would be a 6 cyl, front wheel drive car like we drive today. The cars would be set up to race oval, suspension and tires. Soup up the engines and make them race cars. Then more people might be interested because they can relate, just like the old days. Modern cars with modern parts including fuel injection, overhead cam, multi valve and VTEC. They would be very fast, cheaper and have more variety. No modern cars race today except for Sport Compacts.. This new series could be the new "street stocks" or something like that. New challenges for builders, mechanics and drivers. Unpredictable performances. "NEW" is what's missing. 

Well this is NEW  I don't have much to say about nascar ., I have already said it many times ..so I will agree with nick and fsaeRacer for short  ...except I do miss my 8 tracks . 1964 shwinn  banana seat  bike  .65 lemans 67 gto .68 charger 440 interceptor motor bad dude . 59 chevy ,,slow poke three on the tree 6banger   Walkman am radio my 300 records that burned up and my 1971 duster chopper type mini bike   stolen spring field bolt action 30-30 a gift from my uncle . . my late grandparents  one uncle and most of all my mom and dad ...other wise I am ok..i guess ..as for nascar  who cares I don't miss em anymore .

LMAO @ HiTech.....the banana seat with the sissy bar?....lol....Man, I could ride a wheelie forever.....and the baseball cards in the spokes for motor noise.....Of course those cards are probably worth about 10K apiece now.......What a dumbass I was!

I still stand by my prediction that after the contract expires it ends up PPV only.....IF, not before then....The older contracts had a minimum starting field in them....Have you noticed the reduced number pf start-n-parks lately?....Of course the really swell charter system has a lot to do with the numbers too.

I think nascar  has screwed the pooch  ....

Cards me too and balloons . and sometimes those darn toes would make their way into the spokes  ouch ..I could ride forever on one wheel too .never could ride one those dang one wheel thingies ..

Ok Mr Hi Tech and Reb, I had a Schwinn "Typhoon" with a Bendix Automatic Gear.....for the lucky duck to come down from the ceiling, how did that work?

I will be impressed if you remember  either or how that Bendix worked. Be specific please! I'll check later for your answers.

BTW, see how relevant NASCAR is this days? The thread evolves to trivia questions about a Schwinn bike!

6 hours ago, Exjet145 said:

That article is great but it does nothing to address the root of the problem which is that the racing sucks and its like watching paint dry. Real cars, tracks we want to see and drivers we can relate to; until that I'll only watch the road courses, some of the short track and super speedway stuff and Eldora. 

king if i was to ride up on one of those back in the day I would have been shot with bb and pellet guns ..we were dare devils and only a stingray with a sissy bar and banana seat could take what we put a bike through out behind suntide refinery  6 mile motorcycle track from suntide to the lift bridge on navigation ......big bikes were a no no .....

I grew up in Miami where big bikes "were still allowed". I was also from a poor family and new StingRays cost $50 bucks I believe back then, Way over my budget.

Some neighbor got a 10 speed Schwinn Varsity, then another got the souped up version called the "Continental" which was $119. BTW, Bendix automatics had a 2 speed hub. You pushed back on the pedals about a quarter turn

and it changed to another gear. Quite a technological feat in the 60's.

Archived