USAC Championship TWS photos

RWHinze

Hi everyone,

I'm producing a documentary on the history of safety in IndyCar and I'm trying to find photos of Texas World Speedway during USAC open wheel racesĀ from the 1970s.

The USAC Championship series raced there two times in 1978, but I'm specifically trying to find 1 or 2 photos from the untelevised April, 1978 race. Al Unser had a crash and head injury there during a practice session. I attached a photo of Al's car from that season. If I can't find race photos then I'm searching for general photos of the facility from that time period during any open-wheel race or possibly a photo of Al at the track during the Fall race.

I've been searching for a couple years, so I'm looking for verifiable leads: people who are photographers or who know the photographer and can provide me with their phone number, or if the photographer is dead can give me the phone number or address of the relatives who own the rights to the photographer's photos.

I didn't see any private messaging on this forum, so if you're not comfortable posting some of that information publicly you can email me directly at roger@rapidresponseproductions.com

Thanks. I really appreciate the help. I know it's a big ask. I've been doing a lot of research and most of the East Coast photographers from that time period never traveled to the Texas races. This looks like the most active forum for Texas racing, so this might be my final hope for finding photos from TWS, which sadly seems to be getting erased from history.

Roger Hinze

Indy500winningcar1978.JPG

Archived