Empire State Triple for All Star points leader Reutzel after another win

Empire State Triple for All Star Points Leader Reutzel after Another Win

by Lonnie Wheatley

CLUTE, Texas (June 7, 2018) – Aaron Reutzel continued his strong start to the All Star Circuit of Champions season aboard the Baughman-Reutzel Motorsports No. 87 Sprint Car with another win in last Friday’s event at Sarver, Pennsylvania’s Lernerville Speedway.

With that triumph, Reutzel carries a 28-point advantage in the series championship points chase into this weekend’s trio of events in New York.

The weekend begins at Dundee’s Outlaw Speedway on Friday night before moving on to Jamestown’s Stateline Speedway on Saturday and then wrapping up the weekend on Sunday at Weedsport Speedway.

In addition to last weekend’s Lernerville triumph, the Folkens Brothers Trucking/Dissolvalloy Downhole Revolution Triple-X Sprint Car had another strong outing on Saturday night in Posse territory at Port Royal Speedway that was cut short by a cut tire.  Sunday’s scheduled card at Bedford Speedway was rained out.

Reutzel’s first visit to Lernerville Speedway started out in promising fashion with the Precision Catalyst/Hollywood Blasting & Coating/Beard Equipment entry turning the quickest lap in hot laps and then backing it up by posting a quick time of 13.126 seconds in qualifying.

After transferring through heat race action, Reutzel drew the one pill for the Dash and raced to another win to earn the front row outside starting position for the 30-lap feature.

Fellow front row starter Dave Blaney jumped into the early lead but only briefly, as Reutzel charged to the front on the third round and never looked back as he went on to his third overall win of the year and second in All Star competition.

“The bottom was fast in the heats and the dash.  I searched around some when the feature started and found the middle of one and two was fast and the top of three and four was really good,” Reutzel explains.  “Once I got to the lead, we were really good in clean air and then we were slicing through traffic really well too.”

A caution with nine laps to go was some cause for concern though.

“I saw that (Tim) Shaffer was behind me and if anyone had a home track advantage there then it would be him, so that made me a little nervous,” Reutzel admits.  “I drove harder the last ten laps than I did the entire race.”

There was little need for worry though, as Reutzel raced on to the $5,000 triumph.

Saturday found the Nattress Construction/Momentum Racing Suspensions team in action at Port Royal Speedway. 

“We just wanted to test for the Tuscarora 50 and we were happy with some of the things we were trying,” Reutzel says.

After racing from eighth to third in his heat race, Reutzel charged from sixth to second on the opening lap of the feature and was soon challenging Trey Starks for the lead.

“I got to Trey and he was running a fast pace on the fence,” Reutzel recalls.  “I tried to save my tires by rolling the middle, I was taking it easy until I got to him with 17 laps to go.”

Reutzel soon went for the lead.

“I slid Trey, but I got in some dirty air and cut a tire when I got into the fence a little bit,” Reutzel says.

Despite the final outcome, it was an encouraging outing in preparation for later events this season at Port Royal.

This weekend brings Reutzel and the BRM No. 87 to three new tracks in New York.  And new venues have gone well for the team thus far in 2018.

“Hopefully we can keep our new track streak alive, it’s gone well so far this year,” Reutzel wraps up.

2018 Quick Stats:  23 races, 3 wins, 8 top-fives, 12 top-tens.

Up Next

Friday – All Star Circuit of Champions at Outlaw Speedway (Dundee, NY).

Saturday – All Star Circuit of Champions at Stateline Speedway (Jamestown, NY).

Sunday – All Star Circuit of Champions at Weedsport (NY) Speedway.

Keep Track:  Keep track of Aaron Reutzel’s on-track action including schedule and results at http://www.aaronreutzelracing.com/, on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Aaron-Reutzel-Racing/117666254913127 or on Twitter at @AaronReutzel.  You can also e-mail Aaron at aaronreutzel@yahoo.com.

If you would like Aaron Reutzel Racing press releases e-mailed directly to you, send your e-mail address to Lonnie Wheatley at lonniewheatley@gmail.com.

Archived