Go-Kart Meet-n-Greet @ I-37 Speedway by R&M Promotions, 6/2/18

Go-Kart Meet-n-Greet @ I-37 Speedway by R&M Promotions, 6/2/18

By JM Hallas

Pleasanton, TX.,(June 2nd, 2018) Tonight was the night for the future stars of racing to shine as I-37 Speedway hosted its meet-n-greet for the Go-Kart kids during intermission. All the kids got to show off their Karts on the front entry way and hand out hero cards to the fans after running both the heats and features earlier in the late afternoon.

Along with that, there were Power Wheels races for the even younger kids, foot races split by age groups and face painting available, even announcer Milton Hope went by the face paint booth. It was big night for the kids, young and old.

To say it was hot would be somewhat of an understatement with temperatures over 100 degrees in the pit area during pre-race activities. The heat and south Texas sun took its toll on the track surface with the track crew doing everything possible to keep some moisture in it, and the dust down.

Dinsmore Dashes to Modified Main

Returning after several weeks off, Kerrville's Greg Dinsmore found himself in a familiar place, Victory Lane. Dinsmore made it back to where he's been accustomed to during his championship season. Leading every lap but the first one, Dinsmore got by early Leader Bill Pittaway then held off Cody Tidwell on restarts to secure the win

Pittaway was first into turn 1 at the start and lead back at the line with Dinsmore, from row 2, Tidwell, Dillon Tindal and Robert Leise in line. Ducking under Pittaway in turn 1, Dinsmore took command in the 20-lap event. Behind Dinsmore, Chris Morris got fifth from Liese while Tidwell got second from Pittaway.

While having their own spirited battle Morris and Tindal got past Pittaway for third and fourth. At halfway it was Dinsmore, Tidwell, Tindal, Morris and Don Banker in the top five. The Tindal-Morris battle came to head when contact sent Tindal around, and Morris to the tail.

From there it was Dinsmore motoring away while Morris worked his way back up through the field. At the checkers it was Dinsmore by a straightaway in the Sundowner Performance Diesel Repair & Performance Towing, Race Safe Technologies, The Alignment Shop, Wehrs, Sanderson Motorsports, CRS Suspension, Stealth by Roberts, Fast Shafts, AFCO Shocks, Six-Two Graphics, Friesen crate powered, BMS Chassis.

5b144adf0aa96__SRP5257(1280x848)(2).thumb.jpg.99493a0818ea7f79d8955104a41a09e0.jpg

Setting the car up for dry slick was key tonight,” explained Dinsmore. “It was a patience game and hit your marks. Once you find a line that's fast, feel the car dig pretty good, just keep hitting those marks.”

We changed quite a bit from the heat to the feature. I didn't really think it would be that rough. It is what it is. The track started to come apart. I really wish I'd have taken some bite out of it, it was a little snug, but it worked pretty good. We changed shocks, a couple bar angles and moved some weight around.”

You have to listen to know if someone's trying to get below you and root you out. Coming out of the corner you kind of turn your head to look. Usually on a restart you can feel them back there. If they're aggressive enough they'll beat on your bumper. If you pull off on restarts and don't hear them in the first corner you know you got some good drive and no one's back there.”

I don't about getting the new car ready. Right now we're going to put Logan in the car tomorrow and make some laps. I'll probably race it a couple more times. We'll see how he does and try to get him in the seat this year.'

Cash Bred Off Road IMCA Modifieds

8g Greg Dinsmore, 17 Cody Tidwell, 94 Chris Morris, 377 Don Banker, 77 Robert Leise jr., 47 Brandon Lawrence, 137 Bill Pittaway, 86 Dillon Tindal, 14t Talon Minten---dns

IMCA Modified heats

Heat 1; 8g Greg Dinsmore, 86 Dillon Tindal, 17 Cody Tidwell, 137 Bill Pittaway, 377 Don Banker, 94 Chris Morris, 77 Robert Liese jr., 47 Brandon Lawrence, 14t Talon Minten

Pay Day for JJ in Sport Modifieds

Always a contender at any track he shows up at, JJ Jennings(Corpus Christi) got his first I-37 Speedway win of the season going wire to wire over a stout field of Sport Modifieds. Jennings had to hold off Robby Minten throughout the beginning of the 20-lap feature before inching away the last half to score the win in the G&M Oilfield Services, 1st Class Towing, WW Bodies, Diamond Specialties, CBR Racing Shocks, Omega Mechanical, raceontexas.com, PTS Powered, Hughes by 89 Motorsports Chassis.

Jennings was first into turn 1 as the 15-car field took the green for the 20-lap feature. Chasing Jennings were R. Minten and Johnny Torres side by side, Cody Leonard and Cody Beddoe. Beddoe began losing spots, first to Talon Minten then Chris Swenson, before pulling to a stop with electrical issues bringing out the races only caution.

Swenson got by T. Minten on the restart before spinning and falling to the back. At the crossed flags it was Jennings, inching away, R. Minten, Torres, Leonard and T. Minten in the top five. While fighting for second, Torres and R. Minten made slight contact giving Leonard an opening to grab third. Up front Jennings was continuing to ease away taking the checkers by a half straightaway.

Starting on the pole, hug the tires and stay out of the gas, which is exactly opposite of what we're supposed to do,” said Jennings. “You always wonder if someone will try to move you up off the bottom on a track like that tonight. I was looking for Johnny(Torres) to try the outside, but he got stuck behind Robby(Minten). Then you wait for someone to try something inside. They were going to have to beat me off the (infield)tires.”

All we changed from last weeks win in Corpus is the left front shock. Add some gas, and go. I'm going to race Corpus, here, maybe some big shows at the end of the year. We're just playing it week by week now. We just do normal maintenance clean it, grease it, maybe do some body work. I don't change much going track to track. Maybe a shock here and there, plus keep good tires on it.”

Swenson Racing Products Sport Modifieds

26g JJ Jennings, 24r Robby Minten, 12 Cody Leonard, 66 Johnny Torres, 5r Talon Minten, bd2 Eddy Ross, 31 Chase Havely, 28m Mason Casteneda, 55 Rusty Head, 12r Roly Rodriguez, 30 Chris Swenson, 95 Larry Lewis, 24 Jim Blevins, 49k Michael Keylich, 77 Cody Beddoe, 2b Robert Boyd---dns, 03 Marcus Mikulencak---dns, 11t Tom Grothues---dns

Sport Modified heats

Heat 1; 26g JJ Jennings, 24r Robby Minten, 12 Cody Leonard, 31 Chase Havely, 55 Rusty Head, bd2 Eddy Ross, 28m Mason Casteneda, 2b Robert Boyd, 24 Jim Blevins

Heat 2; 66 Johnny Torres, 77 Cody Beddoe, 30 Chris Swenson, 5r Talon Minten, 49k Michael Keylick, 95 Larry Lewis, 12r Roly Rodriguez, 03 Marcus Mikulencak

Trey Leads the Way Once Again

To say San Antonios Trey Votion is on a roll this year is no surprise as the former Limited Late Model track champion has taken the checkers four times in four races. Tonight he made it five-for-five in the 15-lap Limited Late Model feature, six-for-six if you add the Grudge race. Votion used the top to chase down his brother Patrick Kelly after halfway then held off his cousin, Jason Kelly for the win.

As the Limited Late Model feature fired off it was P. Kelly getting out front trailed by Cody Leonard, J. Kelly, Rene Mares and Votion in the top five. It was three wide for third with Votion, Mares and J. Kelly and Votion getting the spot on lap 2. Votion then put Leonard back to third and the chase was on.

Using the high side, Votion reeled in P. Kelly and the two were side by side at halfway with J. Kelly third, Leonard and Tommy Grimes. Votion finally secured the spot on lap 9. A couple late cautions set up a green, white, checker finish that saw J. Kelly give him a look, but it was Votion in the Nogalitos Gear, SRC Performance, Mission Race Engines, Kelly Racing Chassis holding him off for the flag.

I just try to find where the car is happy and go for it as much as possible” said Votion. “Normally I'll run the bottom because there's no one else down there. That's normally where the grip is. Tonight the grip was on top and bottom. I just tend to go where they're not if there's anything there. I don't know, I'm just doing what I can to keep the car in one piece.”

The top was working for me. I knew my brother was on the bottom so I needed to make the top work for me. It was fast. I knew when first pulled on the track there was something there. So I figured I'd use it as much as I could. I was trying to block the bottom on restarts. You don't want to give up the bottom on a start. Once I got going I went back to the top.”

After they watered the track I thought it was going to be greasy up there but it had grip. I found it before anyone else did I guess. If there's grip top and bottom normally the top is faster.”

Nogalitos Gear Limited Late Models

99 Trey Votion, 57 Jason Kelly, 84 Patrick Kelly, 13 Howie Marcx, 44 Quentin Henderson, 18 Shane Moore, 22 Rene Mares, 5 Cody Leonard, 22t Tommy Grimes, 95 Jerry Jones

Limited Late Model heats

Heat 1; 84 Patrick Kelly, 22 Rene Mares, 5 Cody Leonard, 99 Trey Votion, 57 Jason Kelly, 13 Howie Marcx, 18 Shane Moore, 44 Quentin Henderson, 22t Tommy Grimes, 95 Jerry Jones

Barber Unbeatable in Street Stock

In two visits to I-37 Speedway this season, Jarrett Barber(College Station/Corpus Christi) has taken home the hardware both times. Barber got past early leader and multi-time track champ, Wade Jones early in the 15-lapper then pulled away for the victory.

At the start it was Jones first into turn 1 pursued by Barber, Mike Lyon, Dennis Taber and Jeff Rabedeau. Jones and Barber began to break away with Barber getting inside Jones to grab the lead on lap 3. A couple quick cautions slowed the action, but once back to green it was Barber, moving away, Jones, Lyon, Shawn Moore and Lynn Fox in the top five.

Barber continued to check out from Jones as the laps wound down while Fox and Lyon battled for third. As the white flag waved it was Barber in the Ace Transmission, Barber Oilfield Trucking, Ace Machine, Western Flyer chassis by a full straightaway cruising away and taking the victory.

We've been pretty good here so far,” exclaimed Barber. “I didn't really know what to expect since they watered the top of track before our race. I really didn't know what to do. Wade(Jones) was kind of running the middle so I saw the bottom was open, and took it.”

We didn't get a chance to make any changes on the car after they watered. It's a little of a concern not knowing what the track is going to be like. Luckily they didn't water the bottom. Our set up was good on the bottom. I wasn't too worried about someone finding something on top. I tried the top at the beginning and there wasn't really anything up there, so I stuck to the bottom.”

I'd like to thank Gary from SABFI Transportation for sponsoring the Street Stock class.”

Street Stocks

19 Jarrett Barber, 41 Wade Jones, 20 Mike Lyon, 14 Lynn Fox, 18 Shawn Moore, 8 Jacob Crow, 69j Jeff Rabedeau, 23 Dennis Taber jr., 51 Harold Cope jr., 33h Cody Henderson, 77 Chris Shafer---dns

SABFI Transportation Street Stock heats

Heat 1; 41 Wade Jones, 19 Jarrett Barber, 23 Dennis Taber jr. 51 Harold Cope jr. 20 Mike Lyon, 33h Cody Henderson, 69j Jeff Rabedeau, 77 Chris Shafer, 8 Jacob Crow, 14 Lynn Fox, 18 Shawn Moore

Torres Takes Caution Filled Pure Stock Pay Day

Allen Torres(San Antonio) capitalized on the misfortune of Caitlin Leonard to add another win to his yearly total. Torres, who got by Leonard on a restart when her car broke, held off Jarrett Payton to take home his fourth victory of the year in his Allens 24/7 Towing, All in Designs, crate powered, Swenson Chassis.

The twenty two- car Pure Stock feature, on a tricky dry slick track, took its toll. The race, originally scheduled for 20-lap barely made to halfway before being called on the time limit. Taking four tries to even get a lap in should have been an omen of things to come. When green did finally wave it was Leonard, Al. Torres, Zak Courtney, Payton and Adam Torres in the top five.

It seemed like just as the race looked like it might go, another yellow would fly, mostly for minor spins and some drivers waiting for the yellow. After ten yellows, the race was shortened to a green, white checker finish, which would be Leonard's downfall at trying to win her first race. As green waved, Leonard broke a rear end with Al. Torres and Payton fighting it out for the win. Al. Torres would hang on the final lap to get the victory.

Pure Stocks

94 Allen Torres, 9s Jarrett Payton, 66 Adam Torres, 15d Jamie Dear, 2z Zac Courtney, 48 Robert Kelm, 88 Brandy Torres, 98 William Saunders, d4 Steven Doty, 91 Johnny Westfall, 82 Andrew Garcia, 44k(09) Clint Montanio, 6 Daniel Preston, 7x Janel Duncan, 9c Caitlin Leonard, 68 Kenny Wright, 19m Mike Horelka, 40 Dakota Hurley, 99t Treyton Temple, 182 Ben Mikulencak, 5 Dillon Gaither, 4d Dustin Hurley

Pure Stock B-main(top 7 to A-main)

82 Andrew Garcia, 4d Dustin Hurley, 91 Johnny Westfall, 5 Dillon Gaither, d4 Steven Doty, 7x Janel Duncan, 19m Mike Horelka, 63 Joe D Johnson, 13m Jeremy Watson, 19 Justin Todd, 53 Treyler Caulfield , 17 Casey Lowe, w28 Joe Martin, 23t Sean Terry

Pure Stock heats(top 5 to A-main)

Heat 1; 2z Zack Courtney, 66 Adam Torres, 99t Treyton Temple, 15d Jamie Dear, 98 William Saunders, 7x Janel Duncan, 13m Jeremy Watson, 63 Joe D Johnson, 19m Mike Horelka

Heat 2; 9s Jarrett Payton, 94 Allen Torres, 182 Ben Mikulencak, 48 Robert Kelm, 82 Andrew Garcia, 6 Daniel Preston, 4d Dustin Hurley, 23t Sean Terry, 19 Justin Todd, 53 Treyler Caulfield

Heat 3; 9c Caitlin Leonard, 40 Dakota Hurley, 88 Brandy Torres, 68 Kenny Wright, 44k(09) Clint Montanio, 5 Dillon Gaither, w28 Joe Martin, 91 Johnny Westfall, d4 Steven Doty

Carter Cashes in Compacts

After losing in the final laps of the last event, GB Carter(Harlingen) got redemption in the 20-lap Sport Compact feature. Carter would go flag to flag, but it was almost deja vu as a flat tire and lapped traffic allowed Jamie Garner to close the gap at the finish.

The 13-car Sport Compact would go without caution as Carter got out front from Brandon McCall, Garner, Gordon Dowdy and Kasey Krauss. Garner would take second from McCall, while Krauss snagged fourth from Dowdy. At halfway it was Carter easing away Garner, McCall, Krauss and Randy Frautschi in the top five.

During the second half Carter began to catch slower traffic, his downfall two weeks ago. Garner started catching Carter little by little until the last laps when Garner was on Carter's bumper. As the two diced through a trio of lapped cars, Carter in his Don Wilde Racecraft, VW Rabbit 'Thumper' was able to negotiate through for the win, where he found a flat left rear tire in Victory Lane.

Brown Chevrolet Sport Compacts

77 GB Carter, 33 Jamie Garner, 23 Kasey Krauss, 14 Brandon McCall, 01 Randy Frautschi, 57 Trevor Bettis, 63 Gordon Dowdy, 16 Charles Earnhardt jr., 38 Kirk Ball, 7l Loryn Noah, 39 Ronnie Schoenfeldt, 15 Devon Suritt, 777 Roy Easler jr., 121 Roy Easler---dns

Sport Compact heats

Heat 1; 77 GB Carter, 23 Kasey Krauss, 33 Jamie Garner, 121 Roy Easler, 7l Loryn Nosah, 15 Devon Suritt, 38 Kirk Ball

Heat 2; 14 Brandon McCall, 63 Gordon Dowdy, 16 Charles Earnhardt jr., 01 Randy Frautschi, 39 Ronnie Schoenfeldt, 777 Roy Easler jr., 57 Trevor Bettis

Russ Parker Construction Go-Kart(Heats and Features)

Senior Division

Heat; Ryker Hernandez, Jonathon Cervantez, Peyton Jones, Hannah Miller

Feature; Ryker Hernandez, Peyton Jones, Hannah Miller, Jordan Rios, Jonathon Cervantez

Junior Division

Heat; Peyton Jones, Jordan Rios, Cody Clegg, Sterling Hensley

Feature; Peyton Jones, Jordan Rios, Cody Clegg, Sterling Hensley

Youth Division

Heat; Aubrie Moore, Blaine Markgraf, Levi McDaniel, Berkley Keylich

Feature; Aubrie Moore, Blaine Markgraf, Levi McDaniel, Berkley Keylich

Archived