Texas Shootout, IMCA Red River Modified Tour @ 281 Speedway by C&S Promotions, 5/28/18

Texas Shootout, IMCA Red River Modified Tour @ 281 Speedway by C&S Promotions, 5/28/18

By JM Hallas

Waco, TX.,(May 28th, 2018) Capping a big weekend of racing, 281 Speedway played host to the third round of the IMCA Red River Modified Tour on the ¼ mile, semi-banked, clay oval. The first two rounds have produced 6 different winners at Kennedale Speedway Park(Saturday) and Heart o' Texas Speedway(Sunday).

KSP saw Chase Allen(IMCA Modifieds), Nick Clinkenbeard(IMCA Southern Sport Mods) and Andy Roller(IMCA Stock Cars) take home wins. Sunday had Tyler Stevens(IMCA Modifieds), Jacob Pirkle(IMCA Southern Sport Mods) and Westin Abbey(IMCA Stock Cars) snagging the tour hardware at HoT.

The Factory Stocks were also running, making their second appearance of the Memorial Day weekend of racing. Rick Morosky scored the Saturday night victory and was looking for the weekend double up. Factory Stock winners on the tour were Chris Davis(Kennedale Speedway Park) and Dalton Faulkner(Heart o Texas Speedway).

Holiday racing under a full moon took its toll on equipment. In the second IMCA Modified B-main an aborted start quickly turned bad when some drivers failed to check up. The results was Erik Thorne getting hooked in the right rear, turning and flipping off turn 4. Larry Adams went off turn 4 with Thorne and rolled also. Both drivers were alright. There was plenty of carnage in the IMCA Stock Cars as well as more than casual contact in the Southern Sport Mods.

McGaha Gone in Modified Main

In a race that seemed like it took forever to get past two laps, Josh McGaha(Abilene) got it roling and was nearly back home when the checkers fell on second place. McGaha took command from the pole on green chased by RRMT points leader Eric Tomlinson, Tyler Stevens, Kevin Green and Chris Elliott. After a series of cautions that took out several contenders, the racing finally resumed.

McGaha quickly checked out while Tomlinson and Stevens swapped second. This gave McGaha the chance to stretch his legs out to a huge lead. Chris Elliott joined the second place battle as they came to halfway with McGaha, by a straightaway, Tomlinson, Stevens, Elliott and Clay Money in the top five. Just as McGaha was about to deal with a long line of slower traffic, Travis Bragg got turned with Fred Wojtek spinning to miss him.

While this erased McGaha's huge lead it gave him open track for the restart. He jumped out from Tomlinson on green while Stevens continued to hound Tomlinson for second. As the white flag waved, McGaha in the All-Pro Clutch & Driveline, A-City Speed, Stephenville Starter & Electric, Jeff Hunter Well Service, Showtime Signs & Designs, Dave Leech Construction, Fletchers Race Engines, Dirt Defender, crate powered, CAM Chassis had rebuilt his big margin, cruising to the checkers.

Man it was good,” exclaimed McGaha. “The car pretty much drove itself. We made a call at the last minute after seeing track take some rubber and get some grip to it. We got lucky enough to draw the front, but I feel like we still had a good car. After last night, and all the bad luck, I'll take it however I can get it. It was fun.”

All the cautions early kind of get in your head a little bit. I knew the car was on a rail. So I felt like we were good. I was concerned about fuel consumption there for a while. I didn't want to run out of fuel. It's good for the tires and gives them a chance to cool off.”

Then we had a caution late as I was running down some lapped cars. That took some pressure off me. Those guys are racing hard and they don't know that you're coming. With the track the way it was it's hard to get underneath them. You really have to let them know that you're there. It just worked out. Some nights you have to have some luck. That's what we had tonight.”

I didn't know how big of a lead I had. I could see my dad in the stands under caution letting me know we had a pretty good car. I felt comfortable and it felt good. I never saw a nose or heard anyone. I didn't know. These guys here are tough."

5b0d6c96c6ed5__SRP6608(1280x848)(2).thumb.jpg.06777a4bb84243d563225b2a5ac433ff.jpg

IMCA Modifieds

911 Josh McGaha, 45t Eric Tomlinson, 2 Tyler Stevens, 9e Chris Elliott, 7 Clay Money, 71 Chad Melton, 27d Mark Carrell, 9m Pat McGuire, 97 Jeff Hoegh, 37 Jeffrey Abbey, 9 Brint Hartwick, 28 Cory Davis, 87 Dalton Knox, 44 Fred Wojtek, 11j Justin Radcliff, 19m Mike Moore, 29 TJ Lackey, L8 Brian Schultz, 01a Drew Armstrong, 5 Kevin Green, 71k Kevin Sustaire, 4 Bo Day, 52 John Gober, 29 TJ Lackey, 24b Travis Bragg, 130 Chase Allen

IMCA Modified B-mains(top 6 to A-main)

B-main 1; 7 Clay Money, 27d Mark Carrell, 9m Pat McGuire, 130 Chase Allen, 01a Drew Armstrong, 97 Jeff Hoegh, 50 Matt Guillaume, 44 Fred Wojtek, 15 Chris Carroll, 184 Chance Brown, 27 Rodney Twardeski, 14 Travis Bragg, 65 Erik Miles, c3 Colin Demming, 60 William Gould, 37h Garrett Higgins, 52h Jason Hunter

B-main 2; 11j Justin Radcliff, 9 Brint Hartwick, 87 Dalton Knox, 28 Cory Davis, 37 Jeffrey Abbey, 29 TJ Lackey, 54 Cody Shoemaker, 19 Robert McKinney, 703 Treven Geter, 7sr Shawn Ritter, 260 Erik Thorne, 91 JP Dowell, 711 Larry Adams, 7g David Goode jr., 89t Danny Turner, 21r Riley Simmons---dns

IMCA Modified heats(top 2 to A-main)

Heat 1; L8 Brian Schultz, 71k Kevin Sustaire, 7 Clay Money, 9m Pat McGuire, 52h Jason Hunter, 65 Erik Miles, 44 Fred Wojtek, 184 Chance Brown

Heat 2; 9e Chris Elliott, 52 John Gober, 27d Mark Carrell, 01a Drew Armstrong, c3 Colin Demming, 60 William Gould, 15 Chris Carroll, 14 Travis Bragg

Heat 3; 911 Josh McGaha, 45t Eric Tomlinson, 130 Chase Allen, 97 Jeff Hoegh, 50 Matt Guillaume, 37h Garrett Higgins, 27 Rodney Twardeski, 21r Riley Simmons---dq(tech)

Heat 4; 5 Kevin Green, 4 Bo Day, 260 Erik Thorne, 711 Larry Adams, 54 Cody Shoemaker, 28 Cory Davis, 7g David Goode jr---dns

Heat 5; 2 Tyler Stevens, 71 Chad Melton, 87 Dalton Knox, 9 Brint Hartwick, 703 Treven Geter, 19 Robert McKinney, 89t Danny Turner

Heat 6; 19m Mike Moore, 24b Travis Bragg, 91 JP Dowell, 29 TJ Lackey, 11j Justin Radcliff, 37 Jeffrey Abbey, 7sr Shawn Ritter

Hibbard Hustles to Sport Mod Money

Glen Hibbard(Dallas) scored the IMCA Southern Sport Modified feature going almost wire to wire. Hibbard drew 100 out of 100 to start last in a heat and worked his way into a transfer spot where he drew the number one spot for the feature. It took two tries to get the 25-car field under green with Mike Martin staying side by side with Hibbard and lead by a bumper on lap 1. Hibbard then got the top spot back on lap 2.

Behind Hibbard and Martin were Blaine Shives, Jake Upchurch and Chris Florio in the top five. Shives got by Martin on a restart while Nick Clinkenbeard took fifth from Upchurch then fourth from C. Florio. At the crossed flags it was Hibbard, Martin, Clinkenbeard, C. Florio and Shives in the top five. A series of multiple car cautions slowed the action just past halfway.

Once back to green flag racing Hibbard was able to ease away while Clinkenbeard was trying to get under Martin for second. This gave Hibbard the opportunity to get away and motor on to the victory in the JL Racing, Texas Star Concrete Services, FB Marine Group, Crower Performance, Dirt Defender, Cure Bowl by Autonation, Sunoco Race Fuel, TSK Designs, Wicked Race Cars

Joe and the crew have done a great job with the track,” said Hibbard This is the first time I've been there since he and Heather started promoting it. I want to say thanks to them and all the sponsors who put on the event.”

IMCA Southern Sport Mods

127 Glen Hibbard, 31 Mike Martin, 66 Nick Clinkenbeard, 21 Chris Florio, 18 Tim Clonch, 43b Blaine Shives, 5m Dustin Mooney, 24 Jake Upchurch, 81 Kevin Manning, 62k Kamera McDonald, 84 Rodney White, 21t Taylor Florio, 64 Devin Burgess, 24t Tyler Bragg, 28j Justin Nabors, 2z Dan Day, 11d Donnie Hix, 141 Jacob Pirkle, 23m Jimmy Day, 20d Rowdy Day, 11r Trevor Raney, 58x Sid Kiphen, 66x Greg Frazer, 42 Justin Long, qw1k Mike Wagner

IMCA SSM B-mains(top 6-- to A main)
B-main 1; 28j Justin Nabors, 2z Dan Day, qw1k Mike Wagner, 24t Tyler Bragg, 5m Dustin Mooney, 23m Jimmy Day, 62k Kamera McDonald, 75 Wesley Warren, 21f John Freeman, 2k Charlie Knight

B-main 2; 81 Kevin Manning, 11r Trevor Raney, 21t Taylor Florio, 11d Donnie Hix, 64 Devin Burgess, 42 Justin Long, 20r Riley Dickson, 26 Devin Chambers---dns, 58 Tyler Honeywell---dns, 41t James Craig---dns

IMCA SSM heats(top 3 to A-main)

Heat 1; 66x Greg Frazer, 58x Sid Kiphen, 141 Jacob Pirkle, 2z Dan Day, 23m Jimmy Day, 62 Kamera McDonald, 21f John Freeman, 2k Charlie Knight

Heat 2; 24 Jake Upchurch, 20d Rowdy Day, 66 Nick Cinkenbeard, 28j Justin Nabors, qw1k Mike Wagner, 5m Dustin Mooney, 24t Tyler Bragg, 75 Wesley Warren

Heat 3; 18 Tim Clonch, 43b Blaine Shives, 31 Mike Martin, 81 Kevin Manning, 11r Trevor Raney, 64 Devin Burgess, 58 Tyler Honeywell, 21t Taylor Florio

Heat 4; 84 Rodney White, 21 Chris Florio, 127 Glen Hibbard, 11d Donnie Hix, 20r Riley Dickson, 42 Justin Long, 26 Devin Chambers, 41t James Craig

Crenshaw Cashes in Crash-Filled I-Stock Scrap

The start of the IMCA Stock Car feature saw a lot of beating and banging in the pack that started a chain reaction at the start. Charlie Brown got turned into the front stretch wall and got drilled, hard, by Kelly Brown with Michael Scott catching some of the action peeling off the sheet metal on the entire right side. Both Browns were alright and done, but Scott returned after pitting.

It took four tries to get under green with Crenshaw(Fort Worth) getting the lead trailed by Craig Moss, Dan Day, Bryce Pritchett and Westin Abbey. As the top five eased ahead Dean Abbey, Shelby Williams and April Phillips were three wide for sixth. At the mid-point it was Crenshaw, Moss, W. Abbey, Day and D. Abbey in the top five.

After a spin by Moss from second, Crenshaw now had W. Abbey on his tail with D. Abbey joining the lead duo. W. Abbey kept the pressure on Crenshaw for the lead with brother D. Abbey looking for an opening. A late caution set up a green, white, checker finish that saw W. Abbey lean on Crenshaw a little, but it was Crenshaw in the PCS Motorsports, Landrum Springs, KR Promotions, Sustaire Plumbing, racesteering.com, Clarus Racing Shocks, Dirt Defender, Fischer Race Engines, Wolfe Chassis by Czarapata holding him off for the win.

I was just happy to be there,” replied Crenshaw.I caught a little luck and tried my best to hold off the Abbey brothers for the win.”

IMCA Stock Cars

6c Caleb Crenshaw, 12 Westin Abbey, 26 Dean Abbey, 9 Shelby Williams, 21 Bryce Pritchett, 36 Jason Riddle, 44 Zach Spillman, 8 Vernon Owens, 42 April Phillips, 29 Markiss Harcrow, 52 AJ Dancer, 54 Dan Day, 99 Michael Scott, 25 Craig Moss, 07 Dennis Bissonette, 22 Duain Pritchett, 163 Charlie Brown , 4 Kelly Brown

I-Stock heats

Heat 1; 12 Westin Abbey, 22 Duain Pritchett, 42 April Phillips, 163 Charlie Brown, 99 Michael Scott, 9 Shelby Williams

Heat 2; 26 Dean Abbey, 52 AJ Dancer, c6 Caleb Crenshaw, 35 Jason Riddle, 29 Markiss Harcrow, 8 Vernon Owens

Heat 3; 07 Dennis Bissonette, 54 Dan Day, 21 Bryce Pritchett, 25 Craig Moss, 44z Zach Spillman, 4 Kelly Brown---dns

Bissonette Best in Factory Stock Bash

At the start of the 15-lap Factory Stock feature Ricky Sessions jumped out from with Anthony Simcik, Dennis Bissonette, Shane Ellis and Sam Spadaro in pursuit. Simcik got inside Sessions for the lead on lap 2, but Bissonette took over the top spot on lap 3. For the remainder of the laps Bissonette had Simcik knocking on the back door, literally and figuratively. Bissonette, in the Stephenville Starter & Electric, Dirt Defender, five1seven designs, All Pro Clutch & driveline, Swenson Shocks, AMS Race Engines, Chevy held steady for the win.

Factory Stocks

818 Dennis Bissonette, 44 Anthony Simcik, 33 Sam Apadaro, 84s Shane Ellis, 39 Jamey Lough, 7 Ricky Sessions, 55d Terry Dumas, 92d Colin Dunn

Factory Stock heat

Heat 1; 44 Anthony Simcik, 7 Ricky Sessions, 33 Sam Spadaro, 818 Dennis Bissonette, 84s Shane Ellis, 55d Terry Dumas, 39 Jamey Lough, 92d Colin Dunn

Archived