France family seeks buyer for majority share of NASCAR

gen11

Some will say that if NASCAR folds that short track racing will die with it.  I don't think so.

1) NASCAR has invested next to nothing in the sport at the local level.  If you think for one second that NASCAR is putting money into so-called "NASCAR sanctioned short tracks," think again.  I have been down that road with two different tracks.

2) Yes, in the old days, NASCAR would send you all the red paint (probably supplied by RJ Reynolds since the paint was "Winston red." It probably cost them nothing except shipping.

3) Some of the bigger short tracks that got suckered into the NASCAR sanction (like SAS for instance) did get a discounted electronic scoreboard.

4) and all the track gets is red paint for the bleachers, a discounted scoreboard if you're track has enough registered drivers paying for their NASCAR licenses, and the right to use the NASCAR name on stuff.  They could care less what you do as long as you keep sending in the weekly sanctioning payment (supposedly for insurance coverage which is very hard to collect) and don't bug them with any of the issues your track might be having. 

5) Money flowed from the local NASCAR sanctioned track to Daytona Beach and not the other way around.  Every track official, every driver, every crew guy at the track had to buy a NASCAR license.  Even back in 90s, mine was $75 as Chief Steward.

6) Part of the deal was that the track paid NASCAR a monthly "sanctioning fee" which was supposed to cover the cost of the NASCAR-provided insurance.  But wait, it was actually the track paying for the insurance, not NASCAR.

7) NASCAR decided a few years ago to run some Saturday night races. Do you think that may have impacted the attendance at local tracks running on Saturday nights? 

8) And the biggest farce of all was the "NASCAR Appeal Process" where a NASCAR-licenced driver could "appeal" decisions made by the local track.  So, the driver appealed. Some clerk from NASCAR called the track to find out how the local track wanted NASCAR to respond and next thing you know, the driver has a nice form letter backing the track's decision. 

So, if NASCAR fold, what are local tracks losing?  Maybe some "prestige" with the local press, but when was the last time a genuine sports reporter came to any short track simply because it was NASCAR sanctioned?  Maybe once. But after the reporter realized that Richard Petty and Dale Earnhardt were not racing at Podunck Speedway, they never came back no matter how hard the promoter tried.

Anyway, I hope NASCAR somehow survives, but methinks the handwriting is on the wall.

Nick

As many of you may know, I've also been involved in a lot of the background processes and costs that go with a NASCAR sanctioned track at the local level.  What Nick says above is all very true.  It costs the track owners, officials, drivers and crews a lot of money to use the NASCAR logo.  And as Nick stated above, the NASCAR name didn't carry much weight when it came to local media coverage.

The current NASCAR sanctioned tracks are probably saying " Thank God !" I do think there is a parallel between NASCAR's demise and the loss of all the asphalt tracks. If people thought NASCAR was boring they probably thought the local asphalt track was too. Now the question becomes who is dumb enough to buy in?

If nascar dies  not going to bother me don't watch it much anymore, nascar started the down turn years ago . . I don't buy the fans are getting older stuff ..nascar left the older fans behind with all the bs racing they do now ..the thousands of fan who do show up to a nascar race a better part of em would get their fill at a local track if nascar died  they wont have to travel and spend a ton of money for better racing anyway  so I say a boost at some local tracks .and just maybe  sponsor money may find its way back home ..

2 hours ago, tedhead said:

Great time to buy it and show us how it is done.   Come on, where are the keyboard promoters?  

Do you have 3-5 billion dollars I could use?

Same thing happened with F1 recently when a mass media company owned by John Malone bought it and the product has improved since it happened. NASCAR, NHRA, F1 and Indy car have all stagnated into spec cars on boring tracks and until that stagnation is broken up nothing good will happen; the right-new owners for NASCAR could be a good thing. As far as the direction NASCAR has gone over recent years it’s pretty clearly the 3 generation rule in effect (google it if you’re unfamiliar). The first generation builds something while the second generation watches, the second generation grows while the third generation enjoys the wealth then the third generation gets the wealth and pisses it away...

On 5/7/2018 at 7:32 PM, rebelracewriter said:

Well now I'm offended....Where's my therapy dog, safe space, crying closet?.....LMAO

"Sports Reporters" = Folks obsessed with "ball" sports who know next to nothing about stock car racing. They look down their nose at race reporters. I was once a race reporter working for a major daily newspaper. I know what I'm talking about. 

"Race Reporter" = Folks who's lives revolve around stock car racing (sometimes drag racing and boat racing too) who know what they're talking about and are respected by the racing community.  

You fall in the "Race Reporter" category, Reb.  Thanks for all you do for the sport, sir.

Nick

ok nick a master of all trades what category would we find you in ...as the inventor of the wheel and wait for it  ................ the lighter than air chassis and the one and only person I hear trying to invent the flatulence recycle canister  not to mention your a pro golfer  a man who stands taller than me  sort a up there in the ozone layer ...   I try to find a fitting  respectable category to honor you our most respected and not so respected friend ..

On 5/9/2018 at 9:55 AM, NickHolt said:

"Sports Reporters" = Folks obsessed with "ball" sports who know next to nothing about stock car racing. They look down their nose at race reporters. I was once a race reporter working for a major daily newspaper. I know what I'm talking about. 

"Race Reporter" = Folks whose lives revolve around stock car racing (sometimes drag racing and boat racing too) who know what they're talking about and are respected by the racing community.  

You fall in the "Race Reporter" category, Reb.  Thanks for all you do for the sport, sir.

Nick

WHEW!....Thought I was going to have to be "triggered" for a second.....lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I still like NASCAR. Not a fan of using such outdated equipment like push rod engines but at least Cup had moved to the 21st century with fuel injection. Its hard for a new fan to relate to outdated technology when there's so much new stuff going on in the car building today. Only Sport Compacts are really like the cars of yesterday by racing what dealers sell today. Its catching on in the East Coast. Nascar finally realized they and all of us missed the boat by not promoting the biggest car rivalry in history and that's the Mustang v/s Camaro. Next year an attempt but still nothing like todays Mustangs and Camaros. Might as well watch Indy cars, they all look the same. I like the World Rally cars myself. And watching what the NASCAR drivers do in a race.  

Archived