Southern Texas Late Model Series @ I-37 Speedway by R&M Promotions, 4/14/18

Southern Texas Late Model Series @ I-37 Speedway by R&M Promotions, 4/14/18

By JM Hallas

Pleasanton, TX.,(May 5h, 2018) I-37 Speedway hosted the official first round of the 2018 Southern Texas Late Model Series on the 1/4 mile, semi-banked, clay oval. The STLMS looks to expand this year with more drivers competing in the 15-race schedule. The original season opener was slated for Cotton Bowl Speedway in April, but rain forced cancellation of the event. An impromptu trip to 281 Speedway, where a non-points race, was run for those already in the area.

GW Egbert IV looks to defend his 2017 championship after a close, season-long battle with Brandon Brzozowski for the title. 2018 began with a twist of sportsmanship between the two points rivals. Brzozowski had some unforeseen motor issues that would have kept him from competing in the rained out season opener. In stepped Egbert, offering the keys to his back up car making it possible for Brzozowski to race.

Also in action Saturday night were the Cash Bred Off Road IMCA Modifieds, Swenson Racing Products Sport Modifieds, SABFI Transportation Street Stocks, All in Design Pure Stocks and Brown Chevrolet Sport Compacts. It was also the rescheduled meet-n-greet for the Street Stocks. Early in the season it's a close battle between Mike Trigg, Lynn Fox and defending track champ Wade Jones, with only 5 points difference between first and third.

Starnes Steals Southern Texas Late Model Show for First Win

The 25-lap STLMS Main event was a tale of two races. At the beginning it looked like Steven Whiteaker jr. would run away and hide from the field. Just past halfway Whiteaker clipped the front stretch wall ending his night. This handed the point over to the 2015 STLMS champ, Brandon Brzozowski on the restart.

Brzozowski was chased by young gun Cody Leonard making his Late Model debut in the series. Leonard used his track experience, changing his line to close on Brzozowski. As that duo ran up on slower traffic, another young gun, Robbie Starnes jr. was able run down both. On the final lap Starnes found some bite on the low side and snuck past Brzozowski at the line for his first ever win.

On the initial start Brzozowski, Whiteaker and Starnes were three wide battling for the lead, but separate spins by Tracy Denby jr. and Jarred Stepanski brought saw out the yellow. On the second start Brzozowski was first off turn 2 in the lead trailed by Starnes, Whiteaker, Beau Begnaud and Leonard. It didn't take long for Whiteaker, who hadn't been in a Late Model for a while, to challenge Brzozowski for the lead.

Defending series champ, GW Egbert IV made an early charge going three wide with Leonard and B. Begnaud. Whiteaker, using the high side momentum, sailed by Brzozowski for the lead on lap 4. A quick caution for a Stepanski spin saw Whiteaker jump ahead while Leonard and Starnes ran door to door for third.

As the two young guns swapped the spot, Whiteaker checked out from Brzozowski. At the halfway mark it was Whiteaker, with a huge lead, Brzozowski, Starnes, Leonard and Egbert. Lap 13 was unlucky for Whiteaker as he found the wall ending his night. This handed the top spot back to Brzozowski for the restart.

Brzozowski got a good jump on green while Leonard and Starnes continued their battle, now for second. Brzozowski built a lead as they slugged it out while Kody Hardage took fourth from Egbert. Once Leonard secured second he began changing his line and slowly reeled in Brzozowski. Traffic allowed Leonard to get on Brzozowski's bumper, and Starnes to catch both.

Leonard got along side Brzozowski for the lead as they diced through slower cars. Along comes Starnes closing on both with two to go. As the white flag waved, Starnes got second from Leonard in turns 1-2. Going into turn 3 Starnes ducked under Brzozowski and it was drag race off turn 4 to the line with Starnes, in the Erb Racing, First Class Septic, Seventy Seven Inc., Hendren crate powered, Capitol Chassis first to the checkers.

5aef88bf9eb1e__SRP5469(1280x848)(2).thumb.jpg.f3e706fa655239f0b258c1480f74ba03.jpg

“Ya, that was pretty dramatic,” said the young Starnes whose father was a long time Houston area Late Model driver. “For me, it was more battling myself. I was all over the place, almost spun myself out one time. Luckily I had really fast car. My dad, my cousin Keith and my brother have helped me with this and set it up. The car was good, I was messing up.”

“I finally found a groove on the bottom. They were on the top and I caught them so quick, I thought I might have a shot at this thing. I went into three deeper than I had, it felt good and it stuck. I got a run and passed him on the straight away off the last corner. Man, that was crazy.”

“I saw when they got into lapped cars. I finally found my groove and I thought the bottom was pretty good. So the lapped cars helped out too. Once I found that groove, it was really, really good. Of all that happened I feel bad for (Steve) Whiteaker. He had a fast car and probably had that race won. Fortunately it worked out for me. This was my first win. I've only raced a few races in a Late Model.”

“Once we got here it was fast right away. The track was great. It did kind of rut up a little after a while. But you could race anywhere on the track. It was an awesome track. We didn't change from the heat to the feature much. I just adjusted my driving style. I was running in way too hard and finally slowed(my entry) up a bit.”

“I can't thank my dad enough. He owns the car. He got out so I could drive. That means the world to me. My cousin Keith has been with me from day one. Last but not least, God, Jesus Christ my savior.”

Southern Texas Late Model Series

25 Robbie Starnes jr., 10-4 Brandon Brzozowski, 2 Cody Leonard, 12 Kody Hardage, 15 Tracy Denby jr., 717 GW Egbert, 9 Talon Minten, 32 Beau Begnaud, 22 Ricky Begnaud, 33jr Jose Moran jr., 78 Eddy Hardage, 82 Jarred Stepanski, 89c Steve Whiteaker jr., 45 Brian Machicek, 118 Mike Fenton, 42 Ron Sprayue

STLMS heats

Heat 1; 10-4 Brandon Brzozowski, 33jr Jose Moran, 32 Beau Begnaud, 82 Jarred Stepanski, 118 Mike Fenton, 45 Brian Machicek, 78 Eddy Hardage, 9 Talon Minten---dns

Heat 2; 25 Robbie Starnes, 89c Steve Whiteaker jr., 717 GW Egbert IV, 2 Cody Leonard, 12 Kody Hardage, 15 Tracy Denby jr, 22 Ricky Begnaud, 42 Ron Sprayue

Minten Holds Off Morris in Modified Main

Defending track champ Talon Minten(Seguin) made it two in a row scoring his second IMCA Modified win of the season, but it wasn't easy. Minten, who took over the lead from Derek Scott jr. on lap 6, was reeled in by Chris Morris. Morris, who drives with hand controls, kept the pressure on Minten the final five laps. Morris, would get a good run in low in turns 1-2, but Minten would pull him off turn 2. At the checkers, Minten was able to keep Morris arms length away for the win in his 3-D Landscaping, La Coste Meat Market, Rising Star Racing Bodies, All In Designs, Swenson Racing Components, crate powered Hughes Chassis.

At the start of the 20-lap IMCA Modified feature it was Scott first into turn 1 with the lead chased by Jason Borlace, Minten, Morris and Don Banker. Minten quickly dispensed of Borlace for second followed by Morris the third with Rick Green getting fifth. Minten began pressuring Scott for the lead on lap 4. They were wheel to wheel on lap 5, with Minten getting by on lap 6.

At the crossed flags it was Minten, Scott, Morris, Borlace and Green in the top five. Green was able to get around Borlace for fourth while Scott and Morris began a fight for second. Borlace would loop it on lap 12 for the races only caution. Quite different from last races with multiple cautions and carnage. Once back to green Morris was able to take second from Scott while Robbie Daniels took fourth from Green.

Morris then began his challenge on Minten for the lead. Morris could into turn 1 better than Minten and show the nose, but Minten would pull him coming off. Morris would follow Minten up top in turns 3-4 and get another run in turns 1-2. The final five circuit were a replay until the last lap. Morris changed his line in turn 3, trying low. This gave Minten a couple cars lengths at the line for the win.

“Finding the high line was key tonight,” explained Minten. “Staying consistent, hitting my marks. I saw Chris(Morris) stick the nose inside. I knew if I just held my line and hit my marks I'd be alright. I've raced with Chris almost every race this year. He's always run me clean. I'm pretty comfortable racing with him.'

“I don't know what it's going to take to get the Modified count up. That's a good question. More money maybe? I don't know if everyone just went to Sport Mods. Driving the Modified is always fun to me. I like it more than the Sport Mod. Maybe we're just too far south and no other tracks around here run them.'

“Ya, I'm pretty worn out running three classes tonight. After running the other classes I knew the top would be good for the Late Model. I passed some cars out there. It gives a little bit of an advantage.”

IMCA Modifieds

14t Talon Minten, 94 Chris Morris, 01 Derek Scott jr., 27 Robbie Daniels, 7(29) Jamie Campbell, 82 Rick Green, 55m Mike Morris, 377 Don Banker, 47 Brandon Lawrence, 125 Jason Borlace, 141 Rob Sanderson, 15s Chris Jones---dntg

IMCA Modified heats

Heat 1; 14t Talon Minten, 7(29) Jamie Campbell, 47 Brandon Lawrence, 01 Derek Scott jr., 141 Rob Sanderson, 15s Chris Jones---dns

Heat 2; 94 Chris Morris, 27 Robbie Daniels, 82 Rick Green, 125 Jason Borlace, 377 Don Banker, 55m Mike Morris

Mikulencak on the Money in Sport Modified

It was crafty veteran Lawrence Mikulencak(Corpus Christi), using his experience on a tricky track, showing the way in the 20-lap Sport Modified feature. Mikulencak, who led every lap but the first, saw several drivers in second spin themselves out in any attempt to make a pass. Four different times, four different drivers found themselves looking the wrong way. In the final third of the event Mikulencak was able to pull away for the win in his Ace Transmission, Swenson Racing Shocks, All In Designs, IRP Chassis.

As the 17-car field took the green Mikulencak and Robby Minten stayed side by side with R. Minten ahead at the line. Lap 2 saw Mikulencak get the top spot. Behind them it was JJ Jennigs and Cody Beddoe wheel to wheel for third and Johnny Torres fifth. Jennings secured the spot and was quickly on R. Minten for second. Jennings finally got the spot on lap 5 while Broc Bowen took fifth from Torres.

The red flag waved on lap 8 when Chris Swenson took a wild ride off the back stretch ending his night upside down in the trees. Swenson was uninjured, but done for the night. On the restart R. Minten tried to dive by both Jennings and Mikulencak and got second from Jennings just before Beddoe expired a motor for a lap 9 yellow.

Once back to green it was Bowen, R. Minten and Jennings three wide for second. After Bowen got the spot he took a look low on Mikulencak coming off turn 4, but spun himself with everyone able to miss him. On the ensuing restart Torres got second from R. Minten, but spun trying to get a run on Mikulencak in turn 4. Cody Leonard was unable to avoid and clipped Torres, but kept going loosing only a spot.

Again back to green with Leonard getting by Jennings for third, when. You guessed it, R. Minten spun himself from second. Green again with Leonard chasing Mikulencak, and. Leonard does a half spin, with no yellow. By now Bowen and R. Minten had worked back up taking third and fourth from Eddy Ross.

With three to go Bowen was able to grab second from Jennings, but Mikulencak had pulled out to nearly a full straightaway lead. Bowen cut that advantage in half, but ran out of laps as Mikulencak put it into the winners circle. This was only the second race on the new car for Mikulencak, who led a good part of the last race, until a radiator hose came off. The veteran driver, in a brand new car, fast out of the box, could be a long season for his competitors.

“Having a good running car and starting up front is what worked for us tonight,” stated Mikulencak. “This is the second night I've run this IRP and it's a good driving car. I'm very happy with it so far. You know if you start at the front of a race that the tracks going to be changing.”

“I just never went down to the line that all those guys were spinning out on. The only one I really saw was Broc(Bowen) and I saw him spin beside me so I just stuck it out there on top. I probably wasn't running the best part of the track. Towards the end of the race it was drying out. The line was getting out there so far I was thinking I might need to do something different.”

“Since this is only the second night to run this car I really don't know how big of changes to make. I soon as I hit the track with it this is the best driving Sport Mod I've owned. The track changes all the time and you to make changes with it. It's driven so good on every track so far I just haven't changed it. I learned some stuff tonight. I think the car was better than I drove it. I was being pretty conservative. With these guys if someone gets by you, it's pretty much over.”

Swenson Racing Products Sport Modifieds

87 Lawrence Mikulencak, 56 Broc Bowen, 26g JJ Jennings, 24r Robby Minten, 58c Hunter Flanagan, bd2 Eddy Ross, 55m(12) Cody Leonard, 28m Mason Casteneda, 31 Chase Havely, 95 Larry Lewis, 2 Talon Minten, 11t Tom Grothues, 66 Johnny Torres, 77 Cody Beddoe, bd3 Monty Nichols III, 30 Chris Swenson, 49k Mike Keylich---dns

Sport Mod heats

Heat 1; 87 Lawrence Mikulencak, 26g JJ Jennings, 66 Johnny Torres, 30 Chris Swenson, 2 Talon Minten, 31 Chase Havely, 11t Tom Grothues, bd3 Monty Nichols III, 49k Mike Keylich

Heat 2; 24r Robby Minten, 77 Cody Beddoe, 56 Broc Bowen, bd2 Eddy Ross, 55m(12) Cody Leonard, 95 Larry Lewis, 58c Hunter Flanagan, 28m Mason Casteneda

Trigg Tallies from the Tail

After missing his heat race due to ignition issues, Mike Trigg(Lake Hills) was forced to start the 15-car feature at the tail. No problem. Using cautions and restarts early, Trigg made his way forward to the lead pack. Using a midway restart Trigg used the high side to get by Wade Jones for the lead. From there Trigg motored away to a half straight advantage over Jones at the checkers.

After the initial start was waved off when Homer Miller went over the turn 4 hill, Johnny Torres took the point pursued by Jones, Mike Lyon, Lynn Fox and Shawn Moore. A triad spins slowed the action quickly. Under caution Jones noticed the battery hanging loose in Torres' car and reported officials. Torres was checked and sent to the pits as a safety precaution.

With Jones now on point Moore, Fox and Chris Shafer went 3 wide for second while Trigg cracked the top five. Trigg quickly got around Moore and Fox, but half spun giving a spot back. Trigg retook third from Moore and second from Shafer, then got a break when a debris caution re-bunched the field.

Once back to green, Trigg jumped up top and went around Jones from the lead on lap 9. As Trigg and Jones crept away, Dakota Heinaman made his way to fourth getting by Moore. As the white flag was shown Trigg had pulled out to a good lead over with Heinaman and Shafer door to door for third. Trigg in his 'Shaggin Wagon' Willie Cotton Race Engines, Snyper Chassis easily took the checkers with Heinaman edging out Shafer for third.

“I really had no plan for starting out back,” exclaimed Trigg. “We've been working you to free the car up and it was way free tonight. It was much better. Once I got on the track and saw it, I felt like the top was going to be where it was at. The top came in nice and we run the top pretty good here.”

“The cautions helped. The top four-five cars are tough to get by sometimes. I knew I had my work cut out for me. I race everybody the same. If you give me room to race, I give you room. If you crowd me, then I'll crowd you. Tonight we gave each other room and went on about our business.”

“There's was a guy that works on the car, that's not real bright. That's me! I put the distributor cap on, on top of a wire and shorted out the ignition for the heat race.”

“I've got a possible I-Stock ride for the Red River Tour deal so if I do that it will take precedence over running for points here. It's getting to be where there some traveling to bigger shows coming up too. We'll see where that all goes.”

SABFI Transportation Street Stocks

4t Mike Trigg, 41 Wade Jones, 83 Dakota Heinaman, 77 Chris Shafer, 8 Jacob Crow, 20 Mike Lyon, 2x Dennis Hilla, 33h Cody Henderson, 51 Harold Cope jr., 6h Homer Miller, 18 Shawn Moore, 14 Lynn Fox, 36 Johnny Torres, 20c Jason Campbell, 23 Dennis Taber jr., 2 Wesley Walker---dns

Street Stock heats

Heat 1; 77 Chris Shafer, 36 Johnny Torres, 14 Lynn Fox, 8 Jacob Crow, 2x Dennis Hilla, 83 Dakota Heinaman, 51 Harold Cope jr., 23 Dennis Taber jr

Heat 2; 18 Shawn Moore, 41 Wade Jones, 20 Mike Lyon, 20c Jason Campbell, 33h Cody Henderson, 6h Homer Miller, 2 Wesley Walker, 4t Mike Trigg---dns

Pure Pay Day to Torres

Allen Torres(San Antonio) showed some last lap heroics on his way to victory in the 20-lap Pure Stock feature. Torres chased race-long leader Daniel Preston while holding off Robert Kelm as the top three broke away. Torres dove low inside Preston going into turn 1 on the last lap, they ran door to door on the back stretch and into turn 3. Coming off turn 4 Torres got a little tap from Preston but was able to hang on to get the win. This was third time Torres, in his Allens 24/7 Towing, All in Designs, crate powered, Swenson Chassis has crossed the line first, though one was taken away due to an illegal water pump. Quite an impressive start for new car this season.

“The car was fast tonight,” replied Torres. “It kind of made up for the one we lost. A win, a DQ, a win. I drove the car real hard. It was banging out the last couple laps. I knew I had to do something.”

“On the last lap he(Preston) moved up a little bit and just stuck the nose in there. I got the pass and in turns 3-4 he tapped me in the back. It was just hard racing. I was expecting it. I got the win, that's all that matters.”

All in Design Pure Stocks

94 Allen Torres, 6 Daniel Preston, 48 Robert Kelm, 15d Jamie Dear, 58 Cheyloh Brodnax, 98 William Saunders, 9s Jarrett Payton, 9c Caitlin Leonard, 5 Dillon Gaither, 25r Nathan Rachui, 88 Brandy Torres, 82 Andrew Garcia, 36z George Quintanilla, 13m Jeremy Watson, 93 Aaron Leddy, 44k Kathrine Keylich, 50 Mike Pollaro, 15 William Cavender, 18r Chris Vincent, 23 Andy Kirkland, 7x Janel Duncan---dns, 39 Sonny Kinnaman jr.---dns, 30 Riley Heil---dns, bd1 Cheryl Gray---dns

Pure Stock heats

Heat 1; 6 Daniel Preston, 88 Brandy Torres, 36z George Quintanilla, m13 Jeremy Watson, 9c Caitlin Leonard, 50 Mike Pollaro, 18r Chris Vincent, 7x Janel Duncan---dns

Heat 2; 93 Aaron Leddy, 15d Jamie Dear, 58 Cheyloh Brodnax, 25r Nathan Rachui, bd1 Cheryl Gray, 15 William Cavender, 30 Riley Heil, 19 Justin Todd

Heat 3; 94 Allen Torres, 48 Robert Kelm, 9s Jarrett Payton, 98 William Saunders, 23 Andy Kirkland, 44k Kathrine Keylich, 82 Andrew Garcia, 5 Dillon Gaither, 39 Sonny Kinnaman---dns

Carter Cashes in Compacts

After fighting mechanical gremlins early in the season, GB Carter(Harlingen) finally put his Don Wilde Racecraft, VW Rabbit 'Thumper' back into victory lane. In the 20-lap feature, that went green to checkers, Carter worked his way up to leader Jamie Garner. Using the low groove, Carter got under Garner taking the spot on lap 4. From there Carter was able to distance himself from the field and score the win.

“Starting position is real important out here,” commented Carter. “Starting up front definitely helps. The last race I started in the back and didn't get very far. The competition is pretty stout out here now. These guys are fast. There's no starting in the back and going to the front anymore. They're just all too quick. I feel fortunate to be able to pull it off tonight. It makes old guys like me feel pretty good that we can still do something. All the young guys have the fast cars with all the bells and whistles.”

“I've been having some mechanical problems. The last thing I had to do was put a strut on it. I didn't realize it was bad until I took it off. I compressed it and it didn't come back out. It made the car feel funny.”

“Winning is fun, the rest is work!”

Sport Compacts

77 GB Carter, 33 Jamie Garner, 14 Brandon McCall, 57 Trevor Bettis, 23 Kasey Krauss, 63 Gordon Dowdy, 29 Mike Pearson, 39 Charles Earnhardt III, 01 Randy Frautschi, 4 Cody Earnhardt, 38 Kirk Ball, 24 Felipe Ruiz

Sport Compacts heats

Heat 1; 33 Jamie Garner, 14 Brandon McCall, 23 Kasey Krauss, 57 Trevor Bettis, 24 Felipe Ruiz, 29 Mike Pearson

Heat 2; 77 GB Carter, 38 Kirk Ball, 63 Gordon Dowdy, 4 Cody Earnhardt, 39 Charles Earnhardt III, 01 Ryan Frautschi

The STLMS travels north to Lubbock and Abilene, TX. for their next scheduled events on May 18/19th. For more info visit www.southerntexaslatemodelseries.com

I-37 Speedway returns to action in two weeks(May 19th) for its regularly scheduled line up of classes.

Archived