STS and I-37 Announce Pure Stock Rule Change for Crate Motor Option

The following is a change to the rules for the Pure Stock division at both South Texas Speedway and I-37 Speedway beginning with the May 12th South Texas Speedway race night and the May 19th I-37 Speedway race night. Any Pure Stock driver that elects to run a GM 602 Crate Motor MUST use an unaltered MSD #8728 or #8727CT rev-control and 6,200 rpm chip.  
This rule will take effect at South Texas Speedway with the May 12th race night and I-37 Speedway with the May 19th race program.

http://www.southtxspeedway.com/news/?i=58937

Exactly. The open motor can run the aluminum intake just like the crate. Put them all on a chip. We’re only turning 5400 RPM per our tach recall so the chip makes no difference in our car. We already had a 6300 chip to protect the motor. If you look at pics of her car you can see the box in front of the steering wheel. 

SORRY SORRY  if I piss anyone off  not meaning too ..but here is a rule being put on a motor that was pushed by many tracks and drivers  for being cost effective  and built to take a beating .that made the guys who did not like that motor to spend  more on an open motor they would not or may not  have  had too to  begin with  just to try and keep up  or hold up . we did not like em cause we could not work on em under the valve train seeing the 602 was sealed  and had to send them off and spend how much to either have something  fixed or rebuilt . but those who did buy em has an option or found  to up grade that motor to be even better that over the counter 602 . I don't know if they still would be under the sealed rule after upgrade  I don't own one ..we have a Robbie motor and an ace motor .... but either way seems now that motor wasn't the way to go they have a rpm restrictor now .. I am not knocking  a track or tracks  for a rule that   seems to be needed for whatever reason   , just look where it has gotten too though  ..I am sure someone will enlighten me on why the rule ..or jump me for speaking ,but I bet everyone would agree if I just shut up ..:unsure:

Dont like midseason rule changes but hats off as this one makes since. I like it if you know anything about crate motors you know 6200 rpm is already too much and out of its powerband. Thats providing the crate motor hasnt been upgraded or messed with. Good decision to keep those with crates honest. Also regardless of it being a crate motor you can still replace or repair certain valvetrain components. The valve covers are not sealed so it allows you to replace valve springs and rocker arms as needed. Only drivers that would be upset with this rule are ones already breaking the rules to start with. 

Thanks for the schooling as for sealed I am old school and like to see what is inside our motors and be able to overhaul it if needed at a much cheaper price ..some folks may not like doing that kinda work or have the place and time to do so ..

17 hours ago, HiTech said:

Thanks for the schooling as for sealed I am old school and like to see what is inside our motors and be able to overhaul it if needed at a much cheaper price ..some folks may not like doing that kinda work or have the place and time to do so ..

i like to also.

Most all classes with the 602 crate motor have always had a re-stricter chip at 6200 CTS and I think the SSMods did also  the Powder Metal connecting rods will not last over high RPM but it does not change the horse power or power band the camshaft is designed for about 6000 RPMs. Kenny Hurley and Robert Barker  set the track record with a crate motor and a 6200 RPM chip .

Archived