Super stocks @ HMP

rocket55

I've yet to receive any feedback from TARS on the favor of the CTS rules, however it seems as though... us as the racers have been the ones mediating with TARS in the "post drivers meeting" as to how were going to run.....I will tell you that if you can't run faster than a 16 flat.....you won't be in the front. 

For me I'm going to look into the Outlaw Rules and see what we can do to make my car be more competitive, I know who's fast and that's a target I WILL out run. 

I've noticed quite the abundance of views on this thread but only a handful willing to post suggestions, ask for help or stir some "drama" on who's going the car to watch!!

....and like radracr said.....WHERE THE HELL ARE ALL THESE AMCARS?? Bring them out there!!!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/10/2018 at 9:26 PM, MikeReininger said:

We were in the class at CTS so I know them pretty well. CTS gave the 602 200 lbs if you didn't have any weight penalties, and the mini clutch. Qualifying times were very close. The idea was to bring in more crate motors to keep costs down. HMP gives 100 lbs but gave the open motors the mini clutch.  I think giving up the mini clutch took the 602 out. At least ours anyway. 

The idea of affordable racing and crates in the same sentence is far apart. Order the crate, order the $1000 carb that it needs, order the headers it needs, order the ignition it needs. It all adds up way past $5000 for a low hp engine that isn't nothing but a over priced pure stock engine. Friend of mine got his 604 and after it was all said and done with what was recommended for the bolt on parts, he was a little over $10,000. He then regretted it. If you have a intake leak, got to pull it out and send it off. 

10 hours ago, Alloutpc17 said:

The idea of affordable racing and crates in the same sentence is far apart. Order the crate, order the $1000 carb that it needs, order the headers it needs, order the ignition it needs. It all adds up way past $5000 for a low hp engine that isn't nothing but a over priced pure stock engine. Friend of mine got his 604 and after it was all said and done with what was recommended for the bolt on parts, he was a little over $10,000. He then regretted it. If you have a intake leak, got to pull it out and send it off. 

Actually the word racing and affordable are far apart. It's all downhill from there. Anyway, I've run both and the cheapest way so far (without cheating) has been the crate. Note: In our classes at HMP and what was CTS, you can open them up. 

I know for a fact building a motor is way more expensive than just buying a crate. I was building a motor for my car (which I still have) that I already sunk 3500 in and I wasn't close to being done, fortunately I came across an awesome deal for a race package that included a crate w/clutch and transmission. 

I'm very confident though, if I was running a built motor from one of our others cars on our team.....others would remember vividly how crappy my rear bumper looks. That's the downfall from crate to built.....do you want power or reliability? 

Been watching this post for some time now. Seems to be the same people posting. Good to see these two  that's trying keep this class going and willing to help others.  My 2 pennies. This class has gotten to expensive for the everyday working man that's wants to run a  v-8 rear wheel drive. I know , I know. I don't have my own business, no big sponsor ( but some really good help I call sponsor's). We all just want to race and have fun, but it's not so much fun when you get out $ , not out knowledge or out driven. Me, I will not run the same race with outlaws , not with a full framed and bodied street stock. Until they bring back the true pro stocks of the past I'm not bringing a car back. I'll probably catch some slack  for speaking how I feel , but GOD issued me a big set of shoulders, SO.

1 hour ago, metroracer said:

.. for years & years the Pro-Stocks were the low cost form of racing that was very popular with the local drivers and put on very good competitive  shows  for the fans week after week...year after year....

Scotty's two cents were to bring back the Pro-Stocks / Street Stocks with full framed & bodied V-8 cars all racing against all of the very same style or type race cars, w/ the same standard gear,  the carb, the same cam so on & so forth.....   and that is my two cents as well....

1988 monte carlo race car.jpg #3.jpg

And of course that is the style of cars that is available to be drawn in from the dirt track community, also.  Lets face it, with the outlook for TARS (and the SS class in particular) still being tentative, it is more reasonable to bend the class to the available cars, not expect huge outlays to be made to bend cars to the class.  

I have an idea.

If there are so many steel bodied/stock frame pro stocks & street stocks waiting to race, but wont because of "rules". Why don't they all show up May 19th and prove a point that they want to race. If enough show up I bet they get there own class to race in. 

2 hours ago, DriverX said:

I have an idea.

If there are so many steel bodied/stock frame pro stocks & street stocks waiting to race, but wont because of "rules". Why don't they all show up May 19th and prove a point that they want to race. If enough show up I bet they get there own class to race in. 

Perhaps a better idea would be for a small group of like-minded folks ask for a civil meeting with the HMP track management to discuss this matter in private.  I know Raymond and Amy are facing pressure from all sides and for a couple of volunteers trying to keep asphalt racing alive in Texas it might be best to meet face-to-face where the dialogue can go both ways with courtesy shown towards each other.

I do want to congratulate the folks in this thread, however, for keeping things very civil and constructive. Many threads that are pushing for rules changes end up as bash sessions and this one certainly has not.  Thanks to all involved.

Nick

6 hours ago, DriverX said:

I have an idea.

AMEN!!!!

Very well put DriverX. I'd love to see this happen because I know there are numerous cars out there sitting in a "Ready to Race" condition.....just add driver

We have our race team that is willing help with this meeting and I'd be glad to represent the class. I find there to be plenty more SS out there than Outlaws (with reason as these are really Pro Late Models)

For a start lets work from the current rules and make suggestions from there, please email at metallizedmotorsports@gmail.com . When you email me I'd like to know who you are and what your driving, along with what in the rules is causing you not to race......Complaints will be ignored and solutions will be given priority. 

We have 3 1/2 weeks to get something worked out, if not sooner for racers who might need to tighten a few bolts on their car and test. 

I believe the last year that HMP was open full time, the pro stocks allowed CTS cars to run with them. That didn't stop the pro stocks then, why is it stopping ya'll now? If you want to race, show up. As I have seen the last couple of races, there are 3 street stocks and 6 plus outlaws that have shown up. The pro stocks and regular street stocks will not get their own class, if there are no cars. JMO

UPDATE:

Between my son and I there are conversations taking place. There is no magical wand to solving this problem but there are ideas being floated. Further, we will be meeting with TARS @ HMP on May 12th to further discuss. All of the conversations have been positive.

Thanks.

10 hours ago, radracr said:

UPDATE:

Between my son and I there are conversations taking place. There is no magical wand to solving this problem but there are ideas being floated. Further, we will be meeting with TARS @ HMP on May 12th to further discuss. All of the conversations have been positive.

Thanks.

A step in the right direction - being done the right way.... 

With talk of the old school "Pro Stocks" looming we had already planned to include all stock car classes in our discussion with TARS. The goal for us is anyone that has a factory stock, pro stock, street stock or outlaw would have every reason to come out and race other than simply not caring to do so.

I've yet to receive any emails from concerning racers that are interested in turning laps again, one thing I do know is if all the silent racers choose to do nothing, nothing will happen. It's our responsibility as a racing community to bring the life back to short track asphalt racing, the cars sitting for sale will be worth half there price when there is no more track to race at.

Please racers.....for things to change, we must change. Just as we can all agree there needs to be changes made at the professional level, its no different for us. 

Hoping to make it to the next race. Not a promise or guarantee, but going to give it a shot.  At this time my car would be considered a super stock, but if changes are needed , I can return it to the the old pro stock rules with suspension and some body changes( from aluminum back to steel). I guess I'll eat my words when I said I wouldn't bring a car if had to run with the outlaw cars. I'll try to get all the dirt off.

Scotty is one of many that will continue to come out....and thank you for contributing to the class. I look forward to seeing you out there.

For the rest of you with sitting Pro Stocks and Super Stocks ready to run....you have one less excuse why you can't make it....

Hope everyone has been having a great and prosperous week....don't wait until the last minute to get those cars ready for next Saturday. I got my new trans in (a big thanks to Kevin G) and finishing up a few things. Got lots of great feedback from the last race that will greatly help me on the 19th. 

On a side note, anyone know a good place to buy lexan sheets? I need to replace my windshield soon and need to replace all the windows on a new car we're introducing later in the season. 

9 hours ago, rocket55 said:

Hope everyone has been having a great and prosperous week....don't wait until the last minute to get those cars ready for next Saturday. I got my new trans in (a big thanks to Kevin G) and finishing up a few things. Got lots of great feedback from the last race that will greatly help me on the 19th. 

On a side note, anyone know a good place to buy lexan sheets? I need to replace my windshield soon and need to replace all the windows on a new car we're introducing later in the season. 

try "Regal Plastics" ,  1700 Wirt rd. Houston  77055 - 713-957-8541- 888-256-4975   hope info helps....

Unless things change this picture is the reality of this class.

I spoke with both Raymond and Aaron today. I have been authorized to come on this, and any board and take the lead on discussions for the class and its rules. Please consider me the goto person for the class.

Thank you Raymond and Aaron for your candor and time today. I certainly appreciate your confidence in me.

Special thanks to Mike Reininger for the chance to collect your input.

The reality now is that any and all racers who have fallen into any of the prior CTS Super Stock or HMP Pro Stocks are strongly encouraged to attend the next race. From what I've heard - the car count will not be pretty and we will be left to contend with whatever outcome TARS decides for the race/purse. That said, there is ample time to meet and collaborate on how to move forward with this class on the remaining 2018 race dates. The goal is simple: create a class structure that promotes tight, door-to-door racing with the finish not known until the checkered flag falls.

I will gladly PM my cell number to anyone who wishes to talk on the phone.

For those who don't know me - I drive the #55. My son drives the #22. And, as demonstrated by this thread is also very willing to support this class.

God's speed...

IMG_2731.JPG

Archived