Super stocks @ HMP

rocket55

Ok guys we need more of us out there, 5-6 cars is doable but then the purse gets cut or we run together with the Outlaw Late Models. I enjoy the opportunity to run with these guys but really these guys are running almost a second faster than us. It's both a learning experience and privilege to compete with some skilled drivers. 

I know some of our cars may need some attention, including mine ( after I blew my trans only a couple laps in). Fortunately there is more racers than I thought willing to help, from parts to setups. I'm asking everyone to spread the word and do what we can to get more of both Outlaws and Super Stocks out there. It won't bother we none if they loosen the rules enough for a factory stock to run with as well. 

I'm located in the Houston area and if someone needs a hand to get there car out there, please let me know. I'd like to help where I can. 

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, FSAERacer said:

Not trying to restart an old debate AT ALL but CTS ran a set of street stock rules that had 20-30 cars many nights. They may be worth a look.

To the best of my understanding, there is little or nothing in the current SS rules to exclude them.  One CTS car ran the March race.

For me I'd love to run a heat race....pull chips to place in the race and where you place in the heat is where you start in the main. I'm fully invested in this class and the help from others has only made me appreciate it more. 

We all have the opportunity to be those guys/gals that made that meaningful impact in the short track racing world here in Texas. This is season 2 for the TARS series and lets make it one to remember!!

7 hours ago, FSAERacer said:

Not trying to restart an old debate AT ALL but CTS ran a set of street stock rules that had 20-30 cars many nights. They may be worth a look.

They were doing well with the SS rules at CTS. Just a few hiccups due to a few rules benders. They made it possible to run the 602 which was great. HMP changed the rules for the 602 so it's not worth it for me to run ours. But there are still a number of cars sitting out there that could run. 

38 minutes ago, MikeReininger said:

It was a pretty big change for the 602. Gave up 100lbs and a mini clutch to the open motors. Too much to overcome.

TARS gives the 602 a 100 lb advantage, (plus a 4 barrel).  CTS 2015  rules only gave a 50 lb advantage to the 602 (compared to engine 1,) and is the same as option 2.  (assuming I'm looking at the right rules).

4 minutes ago, Bobby said:

Which version of the TARS rules are you looking at?  In the 6/28/17 version I only see one clutch dimension  - 7.25 minimum.

As far as weight, TARS gives the 602 a 100 lb advantage, (plus a 4 barrel).  CTS 2015  rules only give a 50 lb advantage to the 602 and then takes either 50 or 75 back, if you run one of the Victor Jr. manifolds.  

Are am I comparing the wrong sets of rules?

We were in the class at CTS so I know them pretty well. CTS gave the 602 200 lbs if you didn't have any weight penalties, and the mini clutch. Qualifying times were very close. The idea was to bring in more crate motors to keep costs down. HMP gives 100 lbs but gave the open motors the mini clutch.  I think giving up the mini clutch took the 602 out. At least ours anyway. 

MikeReininger I hear what you're saying but at this point racers just need to run whatchabrung. The 55 is the biggest, heaviest car out there but it's competitive with the pack that it runs in. Yes, I'd love to hoist a few more trophies and cash those 'big' checks but all things are moot if there's 0 car count. 0 class. And 0 track to run at. And I believe that's why my son started this post. Inspiring car count. At this point, and to be clear I am not a TARS representative but rules are more like 'guidelines'. Get close and run. The only issue I'd see is wt %.

I commend Raymond for being straight at the last driver's meeting. It was a tough call to make.

HMP is truly the Lone Ranger in Texas right now.

2 hours ago, radracr said:

MikeReininger I hear what you're saying but at this point racers just need to run whatchabrung. The 55 is the biggest, heaviest car out there but it's competitive with the pack that it runs in. Yes, I'd love to hoist a few more trophies and cash those 'big' checks but all things are moot if there's 0 car count. 0 class. And 0 track to run at. And I believe that's why my son started this post. Inspiring car count. At this point, and to be clear I am not a TARS representative but rules are more like 'guidelines'. Get close and run. The only issue I'd see is wt %.

I commend Raymond for being straight at the last driver's meeting. It was a tough call to make.

HMP is truly the Lone Ranger in Texas right now.

I already have a truck and we run an Outlaw. So I'm invested. I was willing to bring the SS but not with the current rules. The roller is for sale if you want to add to the SS car count though ;) 

Most of in this thread are fully invested in the class, my question is to the racer who has a race ready, or even an almost race ready stock car (pro stock, super stock, whatever your going to call it).....what will it take to get you to the track and compete with me? Getting money to win or even to compete is awesome and a trophy I can sit in my garage to remind me of the persistent and hard work put in to earn that is great......however when it comes down to it, I simply just love to race and I know there are more guys out there that feel the same as me if not more passionate.

So to the guy/ gal standing behind the fence, the one at the desk or person gripping about the rules......Whats it going to take? After this past drivers meeting of the last race I think its fair to say we could get this figured out face to face BUT you need to bring that beautifully crafted piece of metal that has a fire breathing adrenaline creating motor bolted to it OUT TO THE TRACK and be prepared to race!!

1 hour ago, rocket55 said:

Most of in this thread are fully invested in the class, my question is to the racer who has a race ready, or even an almost race ready stock car (pro stock, super stock, whatever your going to call it).....what will it take to get you to the track and compete with me? Getting money to win or even to compete is awesome and a trophy I can sit in my garage to remind me of the persistent and hard work put in to earn that is great......however when it comes down to it, I simply just love to race and I know there are more guys out there that feel the same as me if not more passionate.

So to the guy/ gal standing behind the fence, the one at the desk or person gripping about the rules......Whats it going to take? After this past drivers meeting of the last race I think its fair to say we could get this figured out face to face BUT you need to bring that beautifully crafted piece of metal that has a fire breathing adrenaline creating motor bolted to it OUT TO THE TRACK and be prepared to race!!

I'm just giving you reality. Part of the problem is consistency. Hasn't been any for the super stocks. But, I can give you a few more reasons. One is, IF you want to compete to win, it will cost the guy out there that ran an open motor at CTS about $700 to buy a mini clutch. Another reason is cost of entry, practice, travel and hotel. (I know the argument there, but you asked the question). Another question is, has anyone from HMP called the guys that have cars? It may make a difference if they get a call. Preaching to the guys in the drivers meeting probably isn't gonna make a difference. I tried to help early on, but I won't air that on here.

The super stocks will probably be down 2 more cars. Pretty sure the 17 and 80 are going to make changes and run Outlaw. They were lapping the SS field in a 25 lap race so pretty sure they are changing over to Outlaw. Hope some of the cars out there show up, but it wouldn't hurt to call them. We will be there with 2 cars, (truck and outlaw) so that's plenty for us to focus on. 

I thought the 17 and 80 were already Outlaws....I believe your 12 car is as well. My better judgment May will be a repeat of March for the SS and Outlaws, the only difference is I'm going to suggest the Outlaws reduce there left side weight and let us SS be 100# lighter.....and I think we should pull chips, run a heat race then do our main. The fans like our classes.  I want the chance to outrun an Outlaw and I have everything I need to do it. 

In regards to the TARS team calling racers to get them out, I'd be glad to volunteer and make some phone calls. I can't expect results just by pounding on my keyboard

.....the key is knowing that contact list with all the racers with running SS that our on the fence about coming out......or maybe just that simple rule change they'd like. 

Ok to give update....I've spoke with TARS and they'd be glad to call other fellow racers to get them out..... That's right a good Ol' fashioned phone call, not a Facebook message. With that said, they do need help with the contacts though. I only know a couple at best.....anyone else who knows some racers needing a little bit of motivation to get out there, please forward their contact info to TARS.

were just over a month out racers....lets pull it together,  have some fun and put on such an awesome show.... the dirt tracks would be talking about it

1 hour ago, rocket55 said:

....anyone else who knows some racers needing a little bit of motivation to get out there, please forward their contact info to TARS.

were just over a month out racers....lets pull it together,  have some fun and put on such an awesome show.... the dirt tracks would be talking about it

If not for May, then for the remaining two dates this season.  TARS needs a full program to make this an attractive fan proposition.  Back at the beginning last year Raymond said to talk with him about concerns of cars fitting the rules.  I assume that is still the case.   But most importantly, interest in the class needs to be expressed one way or another, if not for the present, at least for what might be upcoming.  I'm not sure what the "or else" is, but why leave it to chance when you might be able to effect it...

Every bit of what has been said is real. Racers wanting to help racers. Raymond agreeing to rules changes for various cars. But what's most important is to put on the greatest spectacle of all time. The trucks are good. The Pro Mods are fine. Some of the other classes are doing Ok but the fight is for the V-8 powered rear-wheel drive stock cars. The stands at the Bristol race were scarce a best. HMP needs 5000+ seats filling, plus cokes and hot dogs. If I knew of someone needing help close to me I would reach out and offer what I can. 

Archived