NASCAR is dying and they have no idea how to save it

rebelracewriter

31 minutes ago, debwill said:

Yep, you've been saying that NASCAR has been on a decline for many years.  But what would an uneducated reporter like you know (or whatever we were called back then)?

"Untrained, unprofessional, worse than intern".....bwahaha....Wonder where our hero is now days?

When RJ Reynolds' ( remember the "Winston Cup?) sponsorship money surpassed the front gate revenue, it was the beginning of the end.  RJ Reynolds pretty much called the shots until the Feds stepped in and forbid tobacco companies from advertising. Since then, the "title sponsor" money has been on the decline when you account for inflation. But TV deals came along at the right time and it turned out that revenue was greater than the individual series sponsors (there have been several since RJ Reynolds had to step away) and front gate revenue combined.

That meant that NASCAR became a "made for TV" sport and TV execs and corporations that advertised on the broadcasts ended up with a huge say in how the sport was to be presented to the world. Put that together with immense pressure from from GM, Ford and Toyota and the end result is what you see today - if you happen to be one of the dwindling number who still tune in hoping something fun might happen.  

Short story:  NASCAR can try all the gimmicks in the world, but until their version of stock car racing miraculously becomes an authentic sport once again, there doesn't seem to be much of a future for the sport we once loved. 

when they go back to dirty faces sweaty drivers who looked like they raced a car instead of an air condition  cadi when they go back to you win or have finishes that builds up a season long points system of old that can give you the championship. find drivers who would die to  get a chance to race nascar  like terry ,.dale sr , harry gant and others before them    ill get more interested again .I did not see one lap of racing in the last  race ... gotta love local racing .. 

nascar aint dying, the fans are, they are just adjusting accordingly.   The races are for TV now because everyone watches them at home.    All big sports are dying.  The 20 to 4year olds are smart tech people.  They are busy making millions while race fans are getting sweaty and dirty.   Nothing wrong with either one, to each his own.

3 hours ago, tedhead said:

nascar aint dying, the fans are, they are just adjusting accordingly.   The races are for TV now because everyone watches them at home.    All big sports are dying.  The 20 to 4year olds are smart tech people.  They are busy making millions while race fans are getting sweaty and dirty.   Nothing wrong with either one, to each his own.

One slight problem there Ted.....TV ratings are in the tank too!

TV rating on everything are tanking for the most part.  People watch it other ways now, such as online and on their iphone, ipads etc.  The television data does not reflect this.   Why do you think Xfinity got involved?   Cuz Ace, Austin, Beau, Brody and Harrison watch it on their iphones.   Bubba, Harley, Billy Bob and Billy Ray still watch it on their TV and their are not as many of them around as their are watching in other ways

The problems are in all directions.  There is no guarantee Monster will be on board beyond this season or next.  

The stands, which have already been downsized, are still not full.  The smaller teams, which one could say were the backbone of the sport, are going bankrupt.  The days of building a car for a handful of races by local racers chasing a dream and fill the field are long gone.

The TV money will be the next to take a hit if the ratings are any indication.  Talk all you want about the sport being “consumed” in other ways.  I have yet to see anyone of the hundreds of people I come across with their nose buried in their devices following a Nascar race.

https://sports.yahoo.com/lose-30-million-fielding-nascar-144415819.html

9 hours ago, SouthTxPromotions said:

Let the fans in free to all races, first come first served all general admission. Money is made at the concessions, souvenier stand and TV. NOT TICKET SELLS. espicially when you cant sell even half the seats.

A wise old Abilene promoter once asked me...."what's the most expensive seat at the track"....Answer; an empty one!

well in that case local  tracks should let every one in the stands for  free . now we are on to something.  I often thought it would be worth the try hopping  for the long run it would pay .I still have folks asking me what the gate cost is and most who have never been to a race think its to much  they really don't know how much fun they can have for that amount  once they see a race and meet some of the drivers you  could will  have a much better chance of keeping them coming ... maybe a family price discount could help . what we do know is something has to change to entice new fans to show ..

I have yet to see anyone of the hundreds of people I come across with their nose buried in their devices following a Nascar race.

Me either....We must hang out in the wrong crowds.....LMAO....Maybe we should hang out with snowflakes?

The smaller teams, which one could say were the backbone of the sport, are going bankrupt.

http://nascar.nbcsports.com/2018/03/22/bk-racing-court-filing-reveals-expenses-revenue-for-each-race/

Careful Mike, you're starting to make too much sense again....lol....I've always tried to get tracks to see that point exactly, but not in the sense of everyone gets in free....But specialty night, ie; straight a students, fire/ems/police/military nights, employees of track sponsors.....or like Devils bowl once did by city where they'd pick a couple small neighboring towns, show id, get in free....Then the trick is to give them a quality product so they want to come back again, this time as a paying customer!

jay reb I am sorry I inserted the wrong cd in between my eyes  sometimes I don't have my glasses on and screw up putting the sense version in I down loaded or is it up loaded  ....but seeing it is still in there  I will add this ...any track manager who takes the time to read my bs .take the time to print questioners out with a drink discount to entice the fans to fill it out they are the ones you need to hear from .... I use to work at thunderbird drive in  oh long long  time ago . how many of you remember the car load price nights ....it would fill up the place the first two who would normally afford the movie brought many who could not but who had enough for something at the concession .... ..two paid three free it cant hurt .

Archived