please clarify fuel please

SouthTxPromotions

Please give us a yea or nay on E85 pump gas. Is it legal or not to run in pure stock. Last year cars from out of town on big races came in and ran it at some of the bigger south texas races  When questioned about it, the rules say pump gas and thats how they have gotten around a grey area. Before locals start exposing this can we get a final ruling so its behind us. Thanks guys. 

got a point there. there is a bit of HP gain but the biggest benefit is its cooling and how clean it keeps everything.  Depending on the carb rules you would need  to be in above 11.0 compression to see it come alive in the sense of an advantage.  Otherwise its cheaper, cleaner, and helps keep the car cooler.  I had researched for almost a year before deciding to switch from 10$ per gal race fuel.   To me on a budget, 1.85 per gal is alot better than 10$ per gal.  JMO......hope all is well stephan. hope to see ya this yr

Drew is right about E85. There is no HP gain unless your compression is above about 11:1. In fact, if you're around 9:1 or 10:1 like most of us are, there is actually a HP decrease (unless you're willing to bump your timing up to 38* - 40*). The  main advantages in my book are price and cooling.

I'm speaking from experience. We've run E85 on 3 cars and multiple motor combinations for over 3 yrs now. We've dyno'ed the motors and what I posted above is the results. The worst thing you can say about E85 is that it's corrosive. It eats filters, gaskets and carbs unless you take preventative measures.

Bingo...and if you run alcohol you have those issues at a much higher price per gal...lmao...and im not big league enough to run alcohol so running the poor mans race fuel is better than the 110 at 10$ per gal....  they now have filters made specifically for E85 ( i got one) and the gaskets from E85carbs,com and your good to go.  Just drain the carb if sitting longer than a month or run the treatment. even with all of that,  like rusty said..no advantage unless in the powerhouse.  but good for all around use if looking for cheap cooling advantage..

2 hours ago, hray said:

Drew is right about E85. There is no HP gain unless your compression is above about 11:1. In fact, if you're around 9:1 or 10:1 like most of us are, there is actually a HP decrease (unless you're willing to bump your timing up to 38* - 40*). The  main advantages in my book are price and cooling.

I'm speaking from experience. We've run E85 on 3 cars and multiple motor combinations for over 3 yrs now. We've dyno'ed the motors and what I posted above is the results. The worst thing you can say about E85 is that it's corrosive. It eats filters, gaskets and carbs unless you take preventative measures.

If it runs cooler what would it hurt to run a little more timing?  

Just want a ruling on it from the track so we all know if its legal or not legal. Not concerned about the power issue from only changing the fuel to E85. Power comes from the many other changes that can be made in tandem with e85 or thats if they are being honest an actually running E85 instead of lying and running straight up alcohol .  Just a gray area I dont want to run against at big events if we cant run it locally.

The track can buy a E85 tester for less than $15, but you really don't even need that. E85 smells totally different than Methanol and if you put some in a dish and burn it, it burns with an orange-ish color instead of transparent.

I agree the track should clear up any gray areas, but quit sweating E85. It's a super cheap fuel for racing.

Archived