Who would be better?

Josh42

So last night I got caught up in the worm hole of youtube watching some of the old Thursday and Saturday Night Thunder races.  It got me to start thinking in their prime who was the better midget racer of the NASCAR racers, Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart, Kasey Kahne, or Kyle Larson.  Jeff Gordon was always fast and setting records with the Rollie Helmling Diet Pepsi Beast, Tony Stewart and Kasey Kahne both were really quick in the Steve Lewis cars, and Kyle is good with the Keith Kunz cars.  Now it was neat to see the other slew of NASCAR star names like Ryan Newman, Kenny Irwin, Stevie Reeves, Mike Bliss and then your others who were just as fast and dominant like Dave Darland, Davey Hamilton, Dave Steele, Don Schilling, Dan Drinan, Doug Kalitta, Jimmy Sills, Robby Flock, Sleepy Tripp, Mike Fedorcak, and the ever present Rich Vogler.  The racers who made it to NASCAR on this list made it because of their driving talent not their pocket books.  Some of the best racing I had seen in a long time was on those YouTube videos last night.

I used to look forward to Thunder all week as a kid; I’d still love to (someday) live in part of the country where there’s racing during the week (I think I may retire to Wisconsin just for that reason!). I grew up rooting for Earnhardt senior so I was never a Gordon fan but I think it’s hard to deny that he’s got as much driving talent as anyone ever to wheel a car. I think in even cars Gordon does well against any of those guys but I don’t think any of them run away from any of the rest. I think Stewart and Larson have as much ability to drive a car on the very edge as anyone else has ever had so maybe Gordon in a Midget and either of them in a bigger-motor car.

On 12/28/2017 at 8:14 AM, FSAERacer said:

I used to look forward to Thunder all week as a kid; I’d still love to (someday) live in part of the country where there’s racing during the week (I think I may retire to Wisconsin just for that reason!). I grew up rooting for Earnhardt senior so I was never a Gordon fan but I think it’s hard to deny that he’s got as much driving talent as anyone ever to wheel a car. I think in even cars Gordon does well against any of those guys but I don’t think any of them run away from any of the rest. I think Stewart and Larson have as much ability to drive a car on the very edge as anyone else has ever had so maybe Gordon in a Midget and either of them in a bigger-motor car.

Take a week off in the summer and go follow the USAC Indiana Sprint Week races.  My dad and I did it about 10 years ago.  It was a blast.

And I'd go with Stewart in his prime.

TBone when we were at the Chili Bowl a couple years ago we sat next to some people that were from Indiana and they owned a Sprint Car and Jerry Coons Jr. drove for him during sprint week they told us that if we loved the chili bowl we would really love sprint week.  That is on my list of things to do.

Archived