Gator Motorplex announces end of racing

rebelracewriter

Gator Motorplex announces end of racing
Over 17 yrs we have witness so many priceless moments. From exciting racing, families cheering on loved ones, making friends with those in the grandstand...to weddings on the front stretch, giving the last ride around the track to those who have passed, memorials for those we've lost, releasing balloons, celebrating legends, making the news and sharing the news over the years. 

We have watched the young guns grow into men and seen them become fathers like this fathers sharing the sport of racing because it's in their blood. Racing is contagious! It's a passion within us!  These have been some of the best yrs of our lives to share with each of you. 

Unfortunately, as the population grows around us and homes are getting closer, the noise and fight to keep us open out ways the financial capabilities to stay out of the courts. I've seen so many tracks come and go due to many of the same battles.

As racers you can help by supporting tracks by abiding by the muffler rules, dispose of your tires and parts appropriately, and promote racing in a positive manner on and off the track, as well as on social media. 

Everyone must leave their legacy and I hope when you think of Gator you recall the good times at the track, the laughter and comrodery. Know that I have valued each and everyone of you, even on the long nights when we were all tired and needing rest. I have admired your passion as it aligns with mine. I am making this decision with a heavy heart, and what you to know I am grateful and feel blessed for the time we have spent together and the bonds we've made over the years. 

Thank you for 17 years and I will see you at a race track soon. 

Randy Waller

Sad it was a fun track to go race, fun little bullring.  Was probably one of the most strict tracks when it comes to noise and mufflers.  But people I know who live around there always told me they could still hear the cars without a problem. 

On 12/11/2017 at 7:10 AM, Josh42 said:

Sad it was a fun track to go race, fun little bullring.  Was probably one of the most strict tracks when it comes to noise and mufflers.  But people I know who live around there always told me they could still hear the cars without a problem. 

and you didn't buy them ear plugs?....lol

• 3 weeks later...

I know this is being painted as an issue with those bad neighbors.  That is NOT the case.

I am one of those neighbors and a racer (on and off) for half my life.  There are some who have complained about the noise, but truly, it's not that big a deal.  We checked it out before we bought our property.

The reality is much more mundane.  The fact is, the promoter did not own the land.  It was leased.  The landlord put the land up for sale this year.  It was recently sold.  I've known for a few years that the land was not owned by the track.  Fact is, the land was worth more than the business.  With a little time and some knowledgeable research  you can verify this.  It's not rocket science.  I did it all on my own.  Not dissing Gator.  It was a great track.

Personally, I'm sad to hear the track closed.  Furthermore, as one of those neighbors, I'm leery of the new business going in (a pipe yard).  Fact is, I'll miss the track.  I've been there a few times.  While I'm a road racer, I've ALWAYS loved the bullrings.  I have for 45 years.  In fact, while I've pretty much hung up my helmet, I've been toying with the idea of racing a 600 Mini Sprint.  Even though I'm an old fart who would be largely competing with the young bucks, it still sounded like a LOT of fun.  At a mile from home, who could resist?

Mourn the track, but don't blame the neighbors.  Blame the landlord.  Sadly, now I have to drive an hour back towards my old house to catch a good race.  Good to see 105 Speedway is back in business.  I truly liked the racing there.  BTW, what ever became of the CAMS Modifieds?  That too looked like a lot of fun.  Lastly, I grew up in the land of Troyer Engineering and Swain Tech (western NY).  I spent a LOT of time 40 years ago at Oswego Speedway.  At that time it appeared there was a large contingent of Supermodifed racing in Texas, but now I can find nothing.  Does it no longer exist?

George Roffe

the same thing happened to Texas Thunder Speedway in Killeen.  the property was sold and they built and Walmart and people still blame Walmart.  the original post was copied from the original release from the track.  I don't think anyone is blaming the Neighbors on this forum, we are just sad to see the track close.  there are other tracks that are on the chopping block due to the local city council.  Kennedale is on borrowed time because the city council doesn't believe the track fits in their master plan for the city.  

1 hour ago, Geo31 said:

It is incredibly sad to me to see tracks have to close.  It kills me that TWS is now a ghost track.  It ripped my heart out to see it used as a holding place for flooded cars after Harvey.  That was a track that just cannot be replaced.

So much potential in that facility that never came close to being fulfilled.

19 hours ago, Geo31 said:

I know this is being painted as an issue with those bad neighbors.  That is NOT the case.

I am one of those neighbors and a racer (on and off) for half my life.  There are some who have complained about the noise, but truly, it's not that big a deal.  We checked it out before we bought our property.

The reality is much more mundane.  The fact is, the promoter did not own the land.  It was leased.  The landlord put the land up for sale this year.  It was recently sold.  I've known for a few years that the land was not owned by the track.  Fact is, the land was worth more than the business.  With a little time and some knowledgeable research  you can verify this.  It's not rocket science.  I did it all on my own.  Not dissing Gator.  It was a great track.

Personally, I'm sad to hear the track closed.  Furthermore, as one of those neighbors, I'm leery of the new business going in (a pipe yard).  Fact is, I'll miss the track.  I've been there a few times.  While I'm a road racer, I've ALWAYS loved the bullrings.  I have for 45 years.  In fact, while I've pretty much hung up my helmet, I've been toying with the idea of racing a 600 Mini Sprint.  Even though I'm an old fart who would be largely competing with the young bucks, it still sounded like a LOT of fun.  At a mile from home, who could resist?

Mourn the track, but don't blame the neighbors.  Blame the landlord.  Sadly, now I have to drive an hour back towards my old house to catch a good race.  Good to see 105 Speedway is back in business.  I truly liked the racing there.  BTW, what ever became of the CAMS Modifieds?  That too looked like a lot of fun.  Lastly, I grew up in the land of Troyer Engineering and Swain Tech (western NY).  I spent a LOT of time 40 years ago at Oswego Speedway.  At that time it appeared there was a large contingent of Supermodifed racing in Texas, but now I can find nothing.  Does it no longer exist?

George Roffe

You just nailed down one of the issues that keeps closing Texas tracks; if the promoter had owned SAS or CTS there’s a much higher probability those tracks would be open today. Thanks for the info.

Texas world speedway has had issues over the years.  It all started going down hill when a section of the grand stands started to sink.  Now the land has been sold to developers and at some point it will be turned into houses.

NOW I HAVE TO TRAVE  OUT OF TOWN MORE ..... I'M NOT A BIG FAN OF B.G. .... 105 & GTRP ARE OK , IF THEY CAN GET THE CAR COUNT UP ..... ALL 3 ARE GOING TO RACE SAT. , ALL 3 ABOUT THE SAME CLASSES ...........  R.I.P. GATOR  .......... I'LL MISS MY SAT. NIGHT IN WILLIS .......... 

Archived