Redneck Stress Release sponsored by Pick-n-Pull @ I-37 Speedway 11/11/17

Redneck Stress Release sponsored by Pick-n-Pull @ I-37 Speedway 11/11/17

By JM Hallas

Pleasanton, TX.,(Nov. 11Th, 2017) All good things must come to an end is an old adage, but so it was the 2017 racing season on the I-37 Speedway ¼ mile, semi-banked, dirt oval. Somewhat unceremoniously I might add.

Mother Nature pretty much took the show for the evening, though the near capacity crowd did get to see two heats in Pure Stocks and see some stuff get torn up in the Trailer Race and Demo Derby. 

Besides racing action for the Street Stocks, Pure Stocks and Sport Compacts it was a salute to all the troops, past and present, on this Veterans Day. 

It was also a night to reflect on a local racer, Kris Workman, a Pure Stock driver seriously injured in the Southerland Springs Church shooting last Sunday. Numerous drivers had elected to donate their nights winning to Kris' recovery and a “pass the helmet”  was planned for fans to donate as well. 

The Workman family/friends group had a table set up for people wishing to sign a card for Kris, send a prayer or donate. HEB was generous enough to donate hot dogs to be sold with all proceeds going to Workman's recovery fund.

It was a great outpouring among the racing community. While we may not always agree on calls, on-track incidents, we are one huge family. A group that I'm always proud to introduce as part of my family.

OK, what is Redneck Stress Release, you might ask. Basically I'd call it, 'let's tear some stuff up.' Along with some of closest racing in the three classes scheduled to compete, the night also included a $1,000 to win Demolition Derby and $800 to win 'Trailer Race,' all sponsored by Pick-n-Pull of San Antonio. If that wasn't enough the Tantrum Monster Truck of Dillon Finley, from Conroe, was on hand giving rides to the kids, of all ages, during the night.

The two Pure Stock heats got completed with Brandy Torres getting her first heat race in a while, having not raced at I-37 since 2012. Johnny Westfall took the other heat after Mike Horelka spun himself from the lead. 

Then the rain came briefly.

Track officials/drivers had just about rolled the track back in when, you guessed it, another shower hit. At that point they moved up the “Trailer Race” and Demo Derby to give fans some actions while, hopefully, waiting for a break in the weather. That break never came and forced track officials to call it a night another try of track resurfacing. Spectators received a wrist band good for half off any race next season, and all concession food was reduced to half price.

Pure Stock heats 
Heat 1; 9 Johnny Westfall, 66 Adam Torres, 13 Jamie Campbell, 88 Caitlin Leonard, 19 Mike Horelka, 5 Brandon Gaither, 95s Les Bettis

Heat 2; 156 Brandy Torres, 42 Shannon Maurer, 53 Treyler Caulfield, 44k Michael Keylich, 5x Daniel Preston, 93 Aaron Leddy---dns, 14 Mark Pivarnik---dns

In the Demo Derby it was three professional derby drivers against two newbies. As you would figure the pro guys outdid the rookies. Sprint Car driver, Brandon Moeller put in a good showing until getting triple-teamed, while Ray “Tiger” Doyon was the first out. It came down to Bo Oleson against Caleb Dean the final two remaining. Oleson(Sweetwater) finally put the kill shot on Dean who couldn't get his car refired and threw in the towel, breaking off his flag.

Demo Derby
A1 Bo Oleson
88 Caleb Dean
4682 Dick Pantoja
16 Brandon Moeller
13 Ray Doyon

The “Trailer Race” was a three truck event with two jet skis and a boat, probably more suitable for the conditions. Jacob Crow got the early lead pulling his boat while Zachary Greer and the Duke boys battled for second. The Dukes lost their jet ski early leaving it precariously positioned as an obstacle in turn 4. Greer and his, inflatable, jet ski rider may have made more little circles than big ones under the less than ideal track conditions. In the end it was Crow lapping the field for the victory.

Tow Trailer Race
8 Jacob Crow
1 Zachary Greer
116 Bo & Luke Duke(aka Ray Doyon & Michael Keylich)

Two more non-racing events remains on the I-37 Speedway, the annual awards banquet. This years event is slated for January 6th, 2018 at the Pleasanton Civic Center. A December 9th, 2017 racers swap meet is set for the I-37 grounds starting at 10:00am. 

Archived