VETERANS DAY

Budman

I can't speak for most vets, but for many Viet Nam era veterans I know, including me, Veterans Day is a mixed bag. A lot of service folks from that era arrived home to face jeers, spit, scorn, name-calling and worse. Most of us realized real quick that we weren't returning home as heroes. 

Most of us did our best to ignore it and move on to productive lives, but some never got over it. I run into those broken men and women every time I have an appointment at the VA.  

I was one who never questioned a soldier or treated anything less than respect ..I was never in a fire fight the war ended before I would have been drafted .and yes it made me mad as hell to see a bunch of worthless ################### don't want to be in trouble here do and say the things I heard about towards our  servicemen ..the problem today is the stories are not being told or heard when they are spoken by the generations of today ....and yes the credit is still not been given to those who were drawn into that war mostly not on their own free will ..and sadly never will get the credit or respect they and you deserved nick .so many say we should have not been there and  yes might be true and I agree  but that wont change what our vets went through there and here ..vets should never be looked down upon ....the worst part so many have never come home .those K.I.A or some who made it back alive .

Hey, good to hear from you H-T and Nick.  Doggone it,  we never get to see each other anymore since the Kyle track closed down.  I agree, all vets should be honored for their service. Some, like my late father found themselves in situations they had no control over, nor could ever have imagined.  Dad found himself in the down in the dirt, literally blood and guts, kill the other guy before he kills you, Combat Infantry in the Okinawa Campaign in 1945.  Fortunately he made it back, else I wouldn't be here, but a bunch of the guys he fought with didn't.

Having said that, lets turn to a little lighter fare.  Not all war stories have to be so grim.  If I can get this thing to link properly, another story of a veteran I once heard give his account of his time in the service I think you may find humorous.

You can watch and listen to the whole 20 min vid if you want.  Its classic stuff by some of the heavy hitters in television comedy back in their day.  OR, you can push the slide bar at the bottom of the vid to the 18 minute mark and watch George describe his time in the military.

Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9lis3lCo9s

Say budman  you still playing the guitar . I try  still but hands just don't work like they use too .so I bore the family with what I do play ..now speaking of vets I am going to send you a song I sorta finished .. .it is a story of a vets life years before and after service .I think you may like it .. ill give you a rough cut through here on yur pm

Hey H-T, got your pm and read those lyrics.  Yeah, I got it. Those are some heart felt lyrics. Would love to hear them set to a melody.  Now, you've just got to figure out how to do that to a waltz - - - - one two three - - - one two three - - -  :)

My old guitar?  It pretty much just sits leaned up in the corner right over there gathering dust.  Oh, I pick it up every now and then, just not as often as I used to. You still bangin on that strat? 

Josh still racing anywhere?

You Take care my friend.

I have the melody and the music sorta narrowed down .the lyrics have adjustments left and there are a few minor additives I did not add .yet  the first few words sorta throw you off and sound funny or weird when you first see em .. anyway i  cant sing a tune . I have talked to a couple of friends that can sing and soon will get together .have a lead guitar player and bass player across the street how lucky lol.. another friend has a recording studio  that will help ...as for the waltz it can be done the way I have it now ..........its hard to tell  how a song will go when you are just reading  the lyrics .....i met a Iraq vet who was shot in the back .i have a friend who daughter was over there and the way our flag is treated today i added those other words you read ..the four wheel he sat in .saw that set up in a friends pick up  he was giving it away ..

Joshua is racing dirt now along with many others from the old tracks . I teamed up with jesse this year  we got good enough to finish second in points this year still have work to do . Joshua should be a force next season ..

Archived