TRP

Message from Track Operator, Tony Blankenship. Please read all the way to the end.

About this time last year, I approached Bruce Tesch about the potential of leasing Texana Raceway Park. We worked out an arrangement that was good for both of us and I, along with a host of helpers, set out to bring Texana Raceway Park back to life. In the process of getting the track back to running order, we painted and painted and painted, replaced a tremendous amount of lumber for bleachers, tore down the former tech shed, painted and painted and painted, had various beams and supports welded for grandstands, repaired the announcer / score keepers booth, painted and painted and painted, pursued the beer license, purchased food for the concession operations, set aside cash in advance for the first nights purse, repaired plumbing and many other tasks that had to be done before the track could open. Bruce was very impressed with the care and attention we gave the track as it was refreshed to what it was in years past. I could not have even come close to opening the track without the number of selfless people who jumped in and helped and I could not have done this without Bruce who worked with me so supportively.

We held our practices and even though we were thrown several curve balls with weather, we had great races with great car counts overall and I am very proud to say that we were in the black every single race night. We did good on the big show in June as we were hoping and that was an especially good shot in the arm. I feared we would have at least one night in the red, but we never did and came out in the black each night. I cannot say that I got wealthy last year, but simply to end up in the black each night and in the first year is something to celebrate. We held a big two-day show that aside from one bump went extremely well for our inexperience. We did all of this with a rookie team with the exception of a couple of the employees. The great thing is that we had dedicated staff, great fans, and great teams that came to support us and teams that never had to wait to be paid. One thing we made sure of is that for each race, pay envelopes were ready with cash before the night started and the only thing we had to do was wrap up tech and label the envelopes for each place.

We will begin to plan the end of the year banquet with trophies for our top 3 in each class and a few other surprises. Information will be forthcoming on that once we narrow down a date and location.

Now, the rest of the news. I had fun doing this in 2017, we put a lot of labor and money into the track revitalization, and while you won't get wealthy running a dirt track, I learned that with a good plan, you can make a profit. My Monday thru Friday business has increased steadily over the last year and I will not have the time required to operate the track in 2018. Words can not express how appreciative I am to Bruce Tesch for being so easy to work with on leasing the track to me and equally I can never give enough thanks to all of the people who helped me get the track up and running, the sponsors of the track and those who helped us with various things each and every event. I have discussed with Bruce and he is willing to continue leasing the track. To discuss this, call Bruce direct at 979-758-4440. Please don't ask leasing questions here as that needs to be done direct with the property owner by calling 979-758-4440.

The good news is that the track facility is in better shapw than it has been in for several years. Pretty much all you would have to do is mow, stock the concession building and get your license if you want to sell beer. I can also tell you that you can operate a dirt track in this day and time and end up in the black! Also, if someone is interested in operating the track and works out a lease arrangement with Bruce, I am willing to spend a couple of races with you helping you get off the ground and share what I know based on my year of experience as an operator.

Again, thank you all for supporting me in 2017 and details for the banquet will be forthcoming in the near future! - Tony Blankenship

Archived