danica

HiTech

I suppose the luster has lost its way I know this sounds mean and really not trying to be that way  but she was never going to be that great in nascar as a driver .. by the 3rd season she didn't get good enough to expand her horizon as a top driver .it wasn't that she did not have talent .she just didn't have the talent she needed to race such a car .. she reminded me of cole trickle I can drive you just make the car go fast .. 

Yeah, that's where I am expecting Amirola to end up.  

And that's not exactly the way to endear themselves to the remaining NASCAR fans.  Of course, Richard did fire the first shot.

The days of popping your name on any Cup car and being happy getting the exposure are gone. Sponsors are going to be more demanding with the money getting tighter. And its not necessarily that the companies don't have the money,  it's just with what teams are looking for the money is better spent in other ways.

But hey, everything is great!

paposse. sponsors are a big reason why nascar is going down the tubes .they want the dog and pony show  not real racing of old ..remember the days when ford chevy and dodge complained the other  make was getting the advantage that [ is what  began this problem ] and finally forced nascar to go to  the car they have now with out the nose piece you could not tell what the hell each driver was racing just by looking ...sponsors were the greatest thing to come down the pike .and I would never turn down the money but they can also hurt the sport as it is now dog and pony show .

I remember those days.  I also remember wanting to reach into the tv every week and smack the hat off of Jack Roush's head.  Seemed like he was always crying about something.:D

The cars still looked somewhat like something you could buy in the early--mid 90's. I think it started going downhill when they started looking like really expensive Late Model cars with the low, longer nose. 

The common template killed any character they had left.

Unfortunate facts

Danica was brought in as a gimmick, just about like all of the other "brainstorms" that France/Helton tried to come up with to save a floundering series. She was meant to bring in female viewers/fans....What I found most interesting is that the majority of females that I know never were fans of hers, citing her attitude and potty mouth......All she did was become the queen of 20th place finishes along with the butt of many jokes....

hey, hey, hey, good bye

IMHO, big money and big egos are killing NASCAR. Corporate crybabies turned a fun, down-to-earth  sport into a money-making machine and in the process killed it.

When Detroit started banking on big Monday sales of their brand if it won on Sunday, the sport was doomed. When sponsors started throwing big bucks at folks with grass-roots mentalities, the sport was doomed. 

About the only place left where the racing is real (at least in the "lower" divisions) is at your local dirt track.

Nick    

Danica should be a shoe in for the Hall of Fame.  She broke barriers that many have tried to do.   She brought a Huge Sponsor to Nascar for 3 years and many people have become Nascar Fans due to her Marketing abilities.    There is always someone else better at whatever the subject may be, but only a few get the opportunity to sit is that seat, and she made it.  

6 hours ago, rebelracewriter said:

That's the whole issue John.....Talent doesn't get rides anymore.....Money and sponsors buy them.....There are LOTS of more deserving drivers that don't have the funding....jmho

And beyond that, everything is so specialized now.  The days of a "local" racer gathering some support from local businesses and taking a one time shot at Daytona in February, or a track close to their hometown when the NASCAR circus comes to town are long gone.  Run well enough, maybe crack the top 20, top 15, maybe an established team takes a shot.  See Kenny Brightbill or Brett Hearn.

Or Jimmy Horton, Pocono.  1987 I believe.  Used the same hauler to pull their Cup car to the track that they used to haul their dirt modified around.  That was high style for the modifieds back then.

Those are just 3 examples of drivers I watched growing up who, at the time, we thought could "move up" given the right opportunity.  They tried with varying degrees of success and got some recognition, but things didn't work out.  That happens, but at least they were able to take a shot.  Now we have charters, "Full fields" of 36, and "qualifying" races at Daytona that don't really mean anything.....oh, but the Chase Bonus Points!!  But I digress.

I'm sure there are plenty of Texas racers you guys know that I may or may not have heard of or read about in Stock Car Racing Magazine.

Wow.  1987.

30 years now.  where'd they go? 30 years, I don't know. I sit and I wonder sometimes, where they've gone.  (Apologies to Bob Seger)

But hey, everything is great.

post-3723-0-15567700-1453354015_thumb.jpeg

10 hours ago, toyotatim said:

Danica should be a shoe in for the Hall of Fame.  She broke barriers that many have tried to do.   She brought a Huge Sponsor to Nascar for 3 years and many people have become Nascar Fans due to her Marketing abilities.    There is always someone else better at whatever the subject may be, but only a few get the opportunity to sit is that seat, and she made it.  

I never knew the Demo Derby had a Hall of Fame......Interesting

The bad thing is (I don't agree with Tim all the time) that Tim is right.  Danica will make the Hall of Fame.  She hasn't done anything worth noting as far as performance wise but because of who she is and was she will get in.  There are other women racers who have done just as good as Danica but you never heard about them.  Hell Brad K. is already marketing her for the Hall of Fame.

Here's a write up from the Orlando Sentinel by David Whitley:

Before I try to convince you Danica Patrick should be in the NASCAR Hall of Fame, let me apologize to the 21 drivers who are already there.I’m sorry all of you fellas had to get there the old-fashioned way, namely by being able to drive well enough to win a race. Or in Richard Petty’s case, 200 races.And I agree with Petty’s famous assessment of Patrick’s chances of ever finishing first in a NASCAR event. “(Only) if everybody else stayed home,” The King said. “If she’d have been a male, nobody would ever know if she’d showed up at a race track. "Alas, she wasn’t a male. Patrick was born with XX chromosomes and hasn’t transitioned. If she does, let’s hope it goes smoother than her transition from open-wheel to stock cars. We all know that didn’t work out as Tony Stewart, sponsors and the National Organization for Women had hoped. If it had, maybe NASCAR wouldn’t be losing popularity contests to Congress these days. Now that it appears her career has finally been black-flagged, let the record show that Patrick was a mediocre-at-best driver who never would have gotten past the guard gate at Daytona International Speedway if she hadn’t looked hot doing yoga.    Stewart-Haas Racing endowed her with the best equipment. NASCAR (allegedly) rigged it so she’d win a Daytona 500 pole. Sponsors threw millions of dollars her way.  All that, and she still ended up with as many wins as Toonces the Driving Cat.  No sober person could say that Patrick deserves to be in the Hall of Fame based on her driving. The argument is based on her impact.  She was a one-woman publicity storm, generating far more attention, admiration and anger than 90 percent of other drivers combined. TV ratings jumped 24 percent for her first Daytona 500.  Short of a weekly Sharknado in the infield, nothing was going stop NASCAR’s attendance and ratings slide. But the declines would have been steeper without masses of people tuning in to cheer and boo car No. 10.  Those were just the fans that cared about racing. Patrick also made millions of people who didn’t know Brad Keselowski from a carburetor notice the sport.  That includes the three women I live with. The two younger ones still don’t know Brad Keselowski from a carburetor, but seeing Patrick hang around in the pack helped them grasp that a woman can compete in a man’s world.  Multiply that by a few million little girls, and you have a meaningful legacy.  It would be more valuable if Patrick had just shown up and driven her car instead of splaying her half-naked self on the hood in 1,000 photo shoots   I’d like girls to think they don’t need to pander to get ahead. But sex will always sell, and Patrick turned her appeal into a personal $15-million-a-year industry.  There were Danica cookbooks, clothing, fitness foods, wine, bug spray, toilet paper, dog food, you name it. She was a master marketer, but the Danica Effect enriched everyone in NASCAR.  Even a certain king appreciated that.  “This is a female deal that’s driving her,” Petty said. “There’s nothing wrong with that, because that’s good PR for me. “More fans come out. People are more interested in it. She has helped to draw attention to the sport, which helps everybody in the sport.”  Imagine how much help she’d have won the Sprint Cup or a few races.  Okay, one race out of 180 Cup Series starts? How about a measly top-five finish?  Bless her heart, it wasn’t for a lack of trying. The bashers don’t realize it now, but they’re going to miss having No. 10 to kick around next year.  They choke at the mention of Patrick getting into the Hall of Fame, but it’s not just driving success that gets a ticket punched. There are five owners, four promoters, three crew chiefs and one broadcaster who’ve been inducted.  You could argue Patrick had more impact than a lot of them.  “I see more female racers around our country and around the world interested in racing,” Kurt Busch said. “She paved the way. She’s a true pioneer in this day and age of social media and the power of media recognizing that she’s moving the needle even though she wasn’t running consistently up front.”  Baseball’s Hall of Fame has wrestled with the idea of a separate section for Steroid Era players like Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens, both of whom also have as many NASCAR wins as Patrick.   NASCAR could designate a Danica Wing at its Charlotte showplace. Fans could see videos of her yoga classes, 2013 Daytona 500 pole qualifying race, Home Shopping Network appearances and, of course, Go Daddy Super Bowl commercials. The truth is, it would probably draw more fans than in a day than Fireball Roberts’ exhibit would in a month. If only he’d looked good in a bikini.

Archived