restarting the series next year (2018)?

It would need a title sponsor first and foremost. In previous years we have had great sponsors but not nearly enough of them so a great deal of expense came from me personally. I am quite sure the class could get back to thriving at all tracks again if the series came back.

I'd love to be able to travel to different tracks. Such as 281, HOT, Cottonbowl, Texana, South Texas, I37, and maybe one or two in Houston area with the series. Do something like the latemodels are doing. But just gotta find out who is willing to travel and also if we as drivers can come up with one set of rules to abide by and not mix and match everything.

I was able to get 5 tracks on the same set of rules for 1 year after 4 years of working it. We had a great year during that period but it still was changed because of better ideas. Well those better ideas havent done much since then. I doubt the owners and promoters will ever be able to get back to that.

I believe that stock car racing in Texas can thrive, but a uniform set of rules for the majority of classes currently in vogue around the state.

Whenever I offer to revive the TTOPA organization,  I get support from most of the tracks... but what they usually mean is that they're on board as long as the rest of the tracks are willing to conform to their rules.. LOL.  I can sympathize with Cody for sure.  Better ideas usually mean stacking the deck in favor of one track or another.  That will always happen unless the overarching organization has the clout to force tracks to adopt the common rules.  And the clout can only come if all the tracks are committed to the common rules.

At this point, the future of stock car racing in Texas is entirely dependent on the quality and financial stability of the individual track owners / promoters. Some are great and their tracks seem to prosper. Others, well, it doesn't take too many negatives to put a padlock on the pit gate.

I am convinced that if Stock Car racing is to flourish in Texas, the few successful track owners/promoters are going to have to bond together and form an organization similar to TTOPA.  I am volunteering to provide an organizational platform. And, as one who has a great deal of stock car racing experience while having no vested interest in any of the tracks or any of the race teams that are currently in operation, I am offering to head such an organization in spite of the fact that there are certainly others who meet the criteria of being both unbiased and experienced. 

Nick

I will put together a plan and proposal for both a street stock series and an organization to try to get one set of rules.   I currently work for Bronco doing their marketing and sponsorship.  And will try to get them on board with the idea.  1 track at a time is to get it started 

I did some small contingency sponsorships for this series a couple of years running. And to say the racing product on the track was nothing short of spectacular would be an understatement. The quality of the cars and drivers were just very very good. There were probably at least 7-10 cars on any given night that could take the checkers. It was just great racing, you had to out run quality cars, set ups, and drivers to win. 

6 minutes ago, geknight said:

I will put together a plan and proposal for both a street stock series and an organization to try to get one set of rules.   I currently work for Bronco doing their marketing and sponsorship.  And will try to get them on board with the idea.  1 track at a time is to get it started 

Stephan had the rules package down, I am sure it is still in place.

7 hours ago, geknight said:

When there are enough street stocks.   They put on some of the best racing anywhere.  Probably second to only non wing sprints in the level of excitement 

As a fan with no stake in the matter, and who watched the SSS grow from an idea to being pretty successful (from the outside looking in) before leaving Texas in 2012, I totally agree with this statement.  Never in my life did I think I'd be willing to travel 2 hours + to a track where street stocks would be the main attraction.   It was some of the best racing I witnessed in Texas in the time I was there.  It would be a shame if the people who can make it happen, can't.  And I'd have to believe there would be a great marketing opportunity there for a business willing to invest in it.

The current set of rules is what I wrote several years ago. Tracks in this area adopted them due to the series at the time was the only thing growing. They have pretty much stuck with them since except for Cotton Bowl Speedway adopting the NeSmith Rules.

Archived