Street Stock Bounty

F5RACING

I am happy I37 racers have decided to use Speedzone again as that is now my home track even though its 200 miles away. Great race track and competition. What I can say about this particular thread is.......your reputation will not win you a race. We have many great racers with great reputations in every class. Each race stands on its own metis and the not knowing the outcome is what makes it so interesting. This particular SS race was no different. The bounty made it more interesting although I personally think it is bad luck for the target.

I watched this race and it seemed the engines did not sound the same. Most of the time its the header choice that causes this and its just another point of interest for a fan. It sounded like the leader was turning 10,000 rpm and the 41 was turning 8,000. Added to the excitement. Also it looked like some cars were old modified or sport mod chassis while others were production chassis. Again its just an observation from a fans view. I know that cant be true because a modified or SM is so different from a production chassis, noticeably by the drivers position in the car. But that was a great race and by no means a guarantee of how the next one will turn out. Cant wait for the 22nd. Kudos to you SS racers and all the I37 racers. So glad to be a part of the show.

Thumper, I think you are right about the headers simply making the cars sound different. Given the mandated Holley 4412 2-bbl carburetor rule, the engine simply can't "breathe" well enough to turn a lot of RPM. I would doubt if anyone in Street Stock is turning much more than 7,000. Additionally, the valvetrain rules limit the use a parts which add stability and reliability at high RPM. So, even if your engine could breathe enough to turn 8,000 plus...it might be a time bomb if you did it lap after lap.

That being said, it seems Trigg's car is much LOUDER...that's what I notice.

As far as chassis, I know Trigg's chassis has plate with the chassis fabricator's logo welded right to chassis near the rear bumper...also a neon orange SNIPER decal on the roll cage. It is a SNIPER street stock chassis fabricated in the mid-west...Iowa I think. So, it is a second-hand chassis that was made from a metric GM chassis and purpose built for the Street Stock class only.

While I will not call it fact. I heard from a reliable source that the 41 car is a Port City Late Model chassis...which has been re-purposed into a street stock.

So, it just goes to show you can't judge a book by it's cover. So, this this might be counter-intuitive to what you initially thought. Again, I think this is where the exterior sheet metal leads to assumptions about the chassis. I make no claims to which chassis is superior. I just know they are both legal or they wouldn't be racing in street stock. I have also heard that with minor chassis changes a Sport Mod chassis could be converted to a Street Stock under current rules. I believe there are few around South Texas which have done this.

In general, anything above he frame rails can be fabricated however you see fit. So, looking the actual roll-cage and body support structure doesn't really indicate much...other than possibly the quality of the fabrication. I remember when the "Slott" brother from Victoria ran the Street Stock series, some of their chassis had front "down bars" similar to a Sprint Car. I assume for added stiffness, but I am not a chassis designer :) A very interesting feature for a Street Stock.

That's the beauty of the class...you can be competitive with a variety of combinations.

Archived