Grass-roots efforts to bring SAS back to life under way

NickHolt

I work in auto parts and I get amazed and humbled at times with the young generation . they know more bout todays hot rod than I do they will rip off things I don't understand at the same time they don't know they are teaching an old

61 year old schooler and we will go back and forth from my old to their new and I then get too amaze them . their has to be away we can get both connected and a shop like we spoke about could be a big help .wished I had the money to do that ..

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a great idea if you can get the school district and or the school behind it. I can remember when the body shop my dad worked at went to my high school about starting a program and told them they would sponsor it (which meant no money from the school district or school) and then pay for the top student each year to go to TSTC and when they graduated they had a job at the body shop. The principal told them "we don't need a class here like that we are all about computers."

Unfortunately, the train of thought to our younger generation concerning "trade jobs" is considered taboo. Most industry trade jobs today are seeing the decline in qualified and capable workers. I agree only working with the public and educating our children in that it is perfectly acceptable to be a technician, welder, and construction worker. The misnomer that's been given in our society is these jobs are low paying, low skilled talents. This is absolutely so far from the truth. If there is a way to work with the city/school to use SAS as a facility to teach and expand skills then that idea needs to be proposed. You got me on my soapbox this morning now I'm off to go recruit three technicians for positions I haven't been able to fill.

I'm "in the business" so to speak that I've owned and run shops and it is absolutely a huge issue that the youngest (I'm only 31 so young is relative) generation and trade jobs. The silly thing is I can hire a guy right of highschool that'll make $35-40k a year with no debt while learning/going to trade school and they can't make $50-75k a year after that before they're 25. My wife runs payroll for a large local dealer and she has techs taking home $200k a year with full benefits/vacation and fully paid training trips all over the world. Good news for the guys that work with their hands is that stuff is becoming valuable.

SAS could so easily be tied into engineering/science/math/technical programs at local middle/high schools and then again to UTSA's engineering program any potential buyer would be silly not to have those people behind them when they go to the city council to start ironing things out. Tax write-offs spend just like revenue at the end of the year.

JOSH 42 ..and there lies the problem . WE DONT NEED A CLASS HERE .... most of those labor jobs are not going anywhere soon .you can have all the computer smart people you want . great but you still have to have the wrench turner the wielder the body shop techs the construction crews the home builders oil field ..we had wood work autoshop and metal shop in school and I learned something from each one ..

Here is another idea that I saw overmy weekend. Longdale Speedway has a trucking yard also on there property. If SAS has the land to to that and lease it out it would be easy money. If need need new structures find used shipping containers also is what I saw also over the weekend too.

Not to divert this too much but I think you need to get out a little more FSAEracer. Maybe in the city, a mechanic can make 100k but first he needs 80k worth of tools to do that. When you say a guy can make 40 and go to school is because at that age he has no debt, is using your tools and probably lives at home, life is great! He graduates from TSTC, goes to work at a dealership starting at the bottom, hops on the SnapOn truck, spends beyond his means because he thinks he is about to be a rich man and ends up with a toolbox with no tools in it, bills that come with life and the reality that instant gratification is not in the cards. I repair and maintain shop equipment and I haven't been to a shop yet that some young guy asks me what we pay and are we hiring. As well, a mechanic making 200k either works 80hrs a week or has figured out to really scam the system. Not looking to argue but I am 47 years old and have been in the business my whole life.

FWIW, I live 3.5hrs from SAS and pray that it will open again because it was the best time I ever had!

Todd

I left the dealership and mechanic shops behind years ago .cost more to work there than I made .tool over head and rip off low flag time turned me away never ever to go back .when I put my tools away in 97 I worked 5 years for a local shop long hours day in and day out .broke my time spent at the shop against my hourly pay which wasn't bad and against the over head I spent with the tool trucks I made bout 2.00 dollars and hour ...and most think mechanic shops charge to much .overhead kills .the last year I spent with the shop made well over 3million and pocketed 75000 not very good ..one thing I very seldom hesitate to do though is help where I can ..

Todd no argument needed; my experience in the business has been different than most so my perspective is different and I certainly won't argue with your experience.

On topic the point is simple; there is a lot to be gained by tying SAS into various local trades and organizations which benefit the community. There is zero reason any track shouldn't be a positive part of the local education system and economy.

Lots of great ideas.. Beech Ridge Motor Speedway in tiny Scarborough, Maine, is one of those tracks who have incorporated many of the points we make in these "if I were the promoter" posts. I had the honor of interviewing the Cusak family who own and run the place a few years back. They do it right and there's no reason why properly managed track in Texas couldn't have just as much success.

Nick

Oddly enough, the day you posted this, I attended Beech Ridge. I was in Maine on vacation the last week, and stayed about 10 minutes from from the track. The races were on Sunday, rain-delayed from Saturday. Still had a large crowd; I'd guess well over 2000. Their website says they average over 4000. For comparison, the population of the Portland area is about 600,000.

They ran 3 classes, each with about 16 cars. Without the fireworks show, it probably would have run from 7-9:30. The event was very well run. The track is very low banked, which lead to a lot of side-by-side racing. It was my girlfriend's first time at a paved oval, and we both enjoyed it. If I lived there, I'd certainly make attendance a habit.

It also helps that the temperature was about 75 when the racing started at 7:00...

For those of you interested in 1/2 mile track races, here is a good one from New Smyrna Beach Florida that was run om June 29.

This was the Clyde Hart Memorial Race 100 lapper. 14 cars (SLM's) I thought it relevant since SAS was a 1/2 mile track.

Past Weekends Pro Late Models....this one gets good at about the 12min mark with a really good close 3 car finish.

Jeff Choquette seems to be the hot shoe here.......another look at a half mile track for you SAS fans

Archived