Grass-roots efforts to bring SAS back to life under way

NickHolt

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just some food for thought; I had a positive conversation last night with a serious potential investor and it comes down to one thing for them, who shows up to Houston.

The individual is concerned racers in Texas are too fragmented and that there isn't enough of them left to unify for classes like the street stocks and latemodels to put good fields together. Pro-latemodel vs latemodel stock vs San Antonio style latemodels vs supers vs TSRS cars and again San Antonio style street stocks vs CTS style street stocks vs HMP style street stocks vs outlaw street stocks; it seems some folks attitude is "don't run my rules and I wont show up". This isn't the place or time for a debate; if you have a car do what you can to get it to HMP. If you have a butt do what you can to put it in the stands at HMP and when people ask tell them you're there from San Antonio to support Texas racing.

James,

As you probably know, that issue has always divided the Texas asphalt tracks. Every effort to unify the tracks back in the day failed as soon as one promoter or other figured out that they might end up on the short end of the car-count stick due to the unified rules. Remember TTOPA? We had rules all set to go and all agreed upon by all three asphalt tracks until one track pulled out and published their own rules at the last minute. A year's worth of work by a lot of folks went right down the tubes.

Hopefully, folks will put their difference aside for this "make it or break it" event at HMP. Time will tell. And if it works for this one race, maybe we can revive TTOPA and get a set of rules that everyone can live with.

Nick

You will see within the year the "Outlaw Stocks" will have their own class and be the fastest growing class due to ALL the Late Models in Barns that are perfect for this class but maybe Not as competitive for the Highly competitive Newer Pro Late Models. This class is growing very rapidly throughout the nation.... IMO

This being said I still believe the Traditional Street Stock Class w/ the CTS Rule Base will still be a highly competitive class w/ good car count....IMO

It does concern me when Racers themselves seem to be the FIRST to speak Negatively of racing and why a track won't / shouldn't or Cannot Re Open. The same goes for each perspective Class they seem to lean towards the NEGATIVE.....and No I am not pointing fingers ....just my perspective after JUST being a VIEWER on SMedia the past several months.

This is the BEST TIME to speak POSITIVELY of our sport and work as Hard as we can to get people to the track !!

PEOPLE are WATCHING & LISTENING !!!!....Interested People !!!....I ask HELP SECURE the Future of Asphalt RACING in TEXAS !!!!....PLEASE !!!

Rodney; I hope so too!

Nick; I agree the efforts heretofore haven't been successful but the one benefit of fewer tracks is fewer inmates running the asylum. The interested party has some interesting ideas about how to make classes work; hopefully we'll get to see them in action.

As far as the Outlaw Super Stocks debate here and now isn't the place for it. It's too late to change the rules again and too late to build anymore cars; let's just show up and support the people putting this together. It doesn't really matter how fast or slow a car is if the only place to race it is on the bench because all the tracks are closed.

Remember it is the quality and not quantity for the races anywhere. If you have 3 classes that are full fields that put on a great show vs 8 classes with 10 cars and poor racing attendence will drop. Do everything you can to promote passing also.

Fsaeracer,

Last night I was at Marshalltown Speedway. They had 6 classes racing 131 cars and complete time was 2 hours and 45 minutes. As so as a heat race/feature over the other one was rolling out and no intermission. Tonight at i-55 racerway 3 classes 113 cars and 4 fours and half hours later done with intermission lasting 20 minutes. SAS could make if you contact the right promoters and see how they run their show.

Lots of great ideas.. Beech Ridge Motor Speedway in tiny Scarborough, Maine, is one of those tracks who have incorporated many of the points we make in these "if I were the promoter" posts. I had the honor of interviewing the Cusak family who own and run the place a few years back. They do it right and there's no reason why properly managed track in Texas couldn't have just as much success.

Nick

Remember it is the quality and not quantity for the races anywhere. If you have 3 classes that are full fields that put on a great show vs 8 classes with 10 cars and poor racing attendence will drop. Do everything you can to promote passing also.

E-zactly Nate!

Lots of great ideas.. Beech Ridge Motor Speedway in tiny Scarborough, Maine, is one of those tracks who have incorporated many of the points we make in these "if I were the promoter" posts. I had the honor of interviewing the Cusak family who own and run the place a few years back. They do it right and there's no reason why properly managed track in Texas couldn't have just as much success.

Nick

One thing I have noticed shop classes are gone in school . it isn't like when we grew up.. I built my first car a dune buggy with a 427 motor and johnny cash parts from ford dodge chevy pontiac buick all In one in 1968 middle school . learned a lot and never thought I would build race cars but that dune buggy taught me things I needed to know ..kids now days learn bout how to make a car run fast under the hood its easy just buy what you need .but they do not have any ideal how to build a car .. if a racetrack could afford to build a small shop out back and let the kids come and learn how to build cars that may keep racing alive and well for ever and build a bigger fan base ...if I owned a track I would look into doing that ..

HiTech; couldn't agree more. I've suggested to a potential promotor using a small building on the property as a "class room" and inviting highschool and middle school classes out (at no charge to the district and using it as a write-off) to use the track for different lessons and events (like the Electrathon). If the next promotor of SAS doesn't start drawing in kids right away there's not a damned reason to even open the gates.

Archived