Humpy Wheeler: How to get fans back in the NASCAR grandstands

NickHolt

Great article.

Yep

"This is motorsports, not snowflake sewing! Look at what made our industry great, and that is exactly what we have gotten away from over the last 20 years. It’s time to go back to that. You see more people at a Friday night dirt track race or a Saturday T&T, than you do at sanctioned 3 day races. Putting the right people in the right places is what needs to be done, and needs to be done immediately! At the rate we are going, next year at this time I am going to have to write a follow up about how we have fallen even further back than we are right now."

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the best article on the subject to date. It is in the product and treatment of fans. Now I am a big hockey fan and the sport is growing in non-traditional markets like right here in Texas. The Dallas Stars have carved out a large following even competing with the Cowboys.And tickets for an NHL game are pretty expensive. Yet all but three teams in the NHL sell out arenas at arate of 91% plus.The Nashville Predators, this years Stanley Cup Finalists, are recognized as having the most passionate fans in all of sport. Heck even in Corpus Christi the junior hockey IceRays have led the league in attendance the last 4 or 5 years. The reason is these organizations give a good to great fan experience. Player access to the fans is a major reason. I can can go on and on but NASCAR has to get the drivers closer to the fans again to start. Players and drivers are the best salesmen/women if they are allowed to do so.

come reb . that is cheap compared to what this damn cable cost ..... but I never pay one more penny to watch anything on pay per view and nascar isn't one I would care to start paying per view ...not ever going to happen here ..already getting screwed now with 100 sports shows and pay per view and another 300 channels showing that same crap ..

This thread has ceased to be either constructive or interesting what with all the personal jostling among a few LSSZ members.

I will keep it open, however, if things get constructive again.

Nick

This is the best article on the subject to date. It is in the product and treatment of fans. Now I am a big hockey fan and the sport is growing in non-traditional markets like right here in Texas. The Dallas Stars have carved out a large following even competing with the Cowboys.And tickets for an NHL game are pretty expensive. Yet all but three teams in the NHL sell out arenas at arate of 91% plus.The Nashville Predators, this years Stanley Cup Finalists, are recognized as having the most passionate fans in all of sport. Heck even in Corpus Christi the junior hockey IceRays have led the league in attendance the last 4 or 5 years. The reason is these organizations give a good to great fan experience. Player access to the fans is a major reason. I can can go on and on but NASCAR has to get the drivers closer to the fans again to start. Players and drivers are the best salesmen/women if they are allowed to do so.

I agree with this. Kyle Larson came straight out and said something similar earlier this season. The guy still comes back to Northern California and races sprints along with Rico Abreu. Larson could become a great spokesperson for the sport.

There was a time, really not that long ago, when on Friday or Saturday deivers would make apprarances at sponsors stores, dealerships, local racetracks. And I don't mean the 2nd and 3rd tier drivers. I met Bobby Allison twice in the early 80's at Flemington Speedway and a local store. Tony Stewart at a Home Depot. Richard Petty at an auto parts store. All at times when they were winning races and competing for championships.

Go to a Cup race and they were at the souvenir trailers after qualifying and on race morning.

But, this was before you had guys running 3 NASCAR races in a weekend. Get them out to the local tracks and businesses. Let the younger guys establish themselves and develop their own following.

Archived