Humpy Wheeler: How to get fans back in the NASCAR grandstands

NickHolt

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I give up, Tim you have all the answers. I would say go work for NASCAR but in your dream world there's nothing wrong with NASCAR and they are doing everything correct.

I'm still waiting to see your racecar

I already had you a lap down, now you are quitting?

toyota is famous for pushing buttons on folks and one would have to take most of what he says with a grain of salt. Tim usually has a point to make and as long as it's not a personal attack, I let most of his stuff go.

Many of his posts never end up visible to our members, though, much to his displeasure....

Nick

The souvenir haulers are coming back. Small change in the right direction. Part of the fun during the pre race was walking the haulers. They stocked different things vs what you could find in the tents they introduced a few years ago.

Doubt it will equate to many more butts in the seats, but maybe someone is listening.

https://www.yahoo.com/newsroom/vibes/motor-racing/delight-nascar-fans-souvenir-haulers-coming-back-tracks-1dt7pm5

Many of his posts never end up visible to our members, though, much to his displeasure....

But I enjoy a good "thrust and parry"......lol....though I'm sure it annoys you

Doubt it will equate to many more butts in the seats, but maybe someone is listening.

I'm going out on a limb here Rob.....When merchandise revenues dropped dramatically someone got interested.....$$$ talks!

But I enjoy a good "thrust and parry"......lol....though I'm sure it annoys you

I'm going out on a limb here Rob.....When merchandise revenues dropped dramatically someone got interested.....$$$ talks!

I am sure you are right Reb. My first experience with the tents wasn't fun. Yes, its easier to grab a shirt and try it on, and put a hat on my son to make sure it fits ok but it was totally impersonal. You get herded to the checkouts, and we were checked out by someone who knows nothing about the races - it's just a job for them. I might as well have been at Walmart. Then you are greeted by the Costco-like receipt checker before you are allowed to leave. Not to mention, they had a great selection of shirts, hats and diecast, but little things like window decals, autographed items or "old stock" merchandise were hard to find.

The people who worked the haulers were extensions of the team. You could hold an intelligent conversation with them, learn a few things and maybe get tips on driver appearances or some "inside" information about whats happening with the team. Even if you didn't buy something you could usually pick up an autograph / hero / promo card. They are harder to come by now as well.

The autograph seasions were fun, hopefully they bring those back as well. Anymore you have to buy some special ticket package or get in a line for whoever they throw out there in some central location.

Bottom line for me is the whole experience just isn't as fun anymore. They totally underestimated how pulling the haulers out would totally suck some of the atmosphere away.

/rant

#singingtothechoir

This is an interesting conversation. I'm ASSUMING that Tim is probably early to mid 30's that's why his attitude, no disrespect meant, is the way it is to the guys that have been around racing almost twice as long as he has been alive.

Nick, Reb, and the rest have been there and seen it all, and even though I don't always agree with them; I have to give them the benefit of the doubt because they have seen it.

This is an interesting conversation. I'm ASSUMING that Tim is probably early to mid 30's that's why his attitude, no disrespect meant, is the way it is to the guys that have been around racing almost twice as long as he has been alive.

Nick, Reb, and the rest have been there and seen it all, and even though I don't always agree with them; I have to give them the benefit of the doubt because they have seen it.

It would be pretty boring if we always agreed on everything.

I will say when we went to the cup race last year at TMS it just didn't seem the same has it had in the past with the store. I liked walking by the trailers because they had more stuff than the stores but it just gave it a different atmosphere. I remember going to the spring race in 2008 and there was two roads full of the trailers which was great because you weren't standing in line long and there was a lot of neat discount stuff. Then when we went last year there was hardly any discount stuff and pretty much the same thing for each driver. Same t-shirt designs with just a different number, driver, and car. They also seemed a lot more over priced then what the trailers were.

Jamie I'm in my mid 30's but I have been racing since I was 7 and I for one don't have that attitude towards the old guys. In fact I like hearing them talk about the old days cause to me that's when racing was the best and more inginuitive.

My first experience with the tents wasn't fun.

Copying the NHRA business model I guess.....If I wanted the #bashcar "store" atmosphere I'd just go to Katy Mills Mall and save the hassle of fighting track traffic.....LOL

Nick, Reb, and the rest have been there and seen it all,

Are you saying I'm old Jamie?....Oh wait....$#!^ I am! :mellow:

my bet is tim isn't old enough like us to see what racing was like and where it is going now .their is room for old and new. just need to go back to more old to grow ..I have 12 years in where I work and up till bout three four years ago before the cookie cutter tracks .cot clean shaved no dirty faces the chase .and all the other stupid things france has tried ..nascar was the talk with customers who knew we were racers .now very little mention ...

I give up, Tim you have all the answers. I would say go work for NASCAR but in your dream world there's nothing wrong with NASCAR and they are doing everything correct.

I'm still waiting to see your racecar.

You have not seen a racecar before? Or just being a smartass? I can handle both

I'm still waiting to see your racecar.

You have not seen a racecar before? Or just being a smartass? I can handle both

<<<<Key word alert>>>> YOUR

This is about Humpy Wheeler wanting to get fans back at Nascar tracks. What does pictures of racecars have to do with it? So, when showing pictures of my race car will get fans in the stands at Nascar events, I will do it.

I saw his smart ass response I just choose not to respond to it. It's people like Tim that make it hard for me to post on this board. I've been a member on this board since Jan 7th, 2003 and was a member on the original texas speedzone before this one. Its these new people that come in and ruin the fun stuff, kind of like the new regime of NASCAR has come in and ruined it. So like I have with NASCAR, I will check in occasionally maybe post if it has to do with somewhere we are racing, but other than that I'll see the ones of you I know at a race track somewhere.

Oh and by the way "have I seen a racecar?" One of these I drive the other I crew chief on. I 've been racing for 30 years of my 37 year life and probably have thousands or more laps around a track than you ever will.

So "peace and hair grease I'm out"

post-19-0-40134800-1494867310_thumb.jpg

post-19-0-76321400-1494867398_thumb.jpg

This is about Humpy Wheeler wanting to get fans back at Nascar tracks. What does pictures of racecars have to do with it? So, when showing pictures of my race car will get fans in the stands at Nascar events, I will do it.

If you post a picture of your car I will go to the November race at TMS and pay for Josh42 ticket. That's two seats sold and fans in the stands. Now let's see that car!!

Now let's see that car!!

Probably have a better chance swatting flies with a tennis racket.....LMAO

I will check in occasionally maybe post if it has to do with somewhere we are racing, but other than that I'll see the ones of you I know at a race track somewhere.

We'll fight the good fight Josh.....lol

reb your just a trouble pusher in the worst way one of those start the fight and stand off to the side and watch it ...lol..... I think nick needs to edit you sometines

I've been in this with both feet, but other the back and forth is amusing....I'm old and easily amused I guess....It's more exciting than a 1.5 mile #bashcar race......LOL

And for the record, Nick does edit me....Frequently lately.....I just accept it and move along til the next time....I understand he has to keep some type decorum on here, even if it's me B)

its easy nick I will agree with anyone who wants and agrees nascar needs to get back to its roots ..get rid of the bs points system all cars alike get some more short tracks or dirt tracks .nascar started on sand and dirt ..

Archived