Press release about two 2017 race dates at Houston Mortorsports Park

NickHolt

4-11-2017

Motorsports Inc., in conjunction with Houston Motorsports Park, is excited to announce the Texas G-Force Racing Series which will host two special racing events to be held on July 8, 2017 and September 23, 2017 [NOTE: This is a change of date from the October date previously announced]. The two racing events will hopefully lead to a full schedule of racing in 2018 and beyond. In addition, five practices weekends are scheduled for April 29th & 30th, May 20th & 21st, June 24th & 25th, August 29th and 30th, and September 16th & 17th. The classes included in these two events will be the Pro Modifieds, Pro Late Models, Pro Trucks, & Outlaw Super Stocks with two other support series classes to be determined based upon series car count. Additional private practices may be available, please contact Raymond Delahoussaye for further details.

Motorsports Inc. is owned by Raymond Delahoussaye. Raymond is a life-long supporter of asphalt and dirt track racing in Texas, as well as the whole Gulf Coast Area, as a racer and a team owner. The closing of Central Texas Speedway in Kyle, TX at the end of 2016 left Raymond, as well as other racers and team owners, wondering where they were going to race in 2017. Houston Motorsports Park had suspended their oval asphalt racing program in 2015 and all other asphalt tracks in Texas had previously closed their doors. Raymond and several other individuals in the Texas racing community started talking about the idea of talking to the Baker’s about using Houston Motorsports Park to run their own racing events. The more that Raymond and these individuals talked the more it became something they thought could be accomplished. Raymond hosted two practices, one in February and another in March in order to gauge the interest by Texas racers and car owners. The response by racers and fans to the practices at the HMP short track was immense. Subsequently, the Bakers were approached and the idea became a reality when David, Dean and Graham all agreed to the two events scheduled on July 8th and September 23rd, 2017 with hopes of a full racing program for 2018.

Raymond asks that all the racers fully support these two events so that he and his crew can bring back short track asphalt racing to the state of Texas. We need racers and fans to get the word out about these events so that there will be standing room only on the day of the events. Anyone who would like to help sponsor a class purse or the events, please contact Raymond Delahoussaye at 713-545-2070 or by e-mail at trilectric@sbcglobal.net.

Class rules and other information will be posted as it comes available through the new HMP Oval Track Racers Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/HMPTX as well as LoneStar SpeedZone (http://www.lonestarspeedzone.com/) and the Houston Motorsports Park website(www.houstonmotorsportspark.com) and Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/HOUSTONRACING/).

Four words,

Run what you brung!

These two shows are about car count. Have a huge car count and show them yall want to race. The two shows are not about frist or last place. Its about showing them that asphalt racing can work. Do that and you might get alot more races next year. Then play with the rules. JMO

A big spring car w/ a stock front clip and leaf springs that raced regularly at CTS ran competitively in the Outlaw Stock class at five flags speedway last Friday night. Qualified 1st (new track record) and finished 2nd. Just shows if the engine, and weight rules are the same you can throw the rest out the window. The people that are fast will always figure out how to run up front in any situation they are given.

Metroracer - As I recall HMP did away with the cam lift rule but you did have to run hydraulic. With that change alone I was able to be more competitive. Any one who knows me knows that I am NOT cookie-cutter - it's the reason I run the A-body with the Olds motor. As a racer and car owner I personally like the CTS rules. I balked at first but then I saw the 'areas' that my car could fit into. (It's also how we got to know each other.) I have switched to the solid lift cam and roller rockers. And, if the hood fits, I'll run the Victor intake. I have always been a big, BIG fan of run-whatcha-brung. Yes, that means big block power. If someone can take >600#of front weight and make the car get through the corners - more power to 'em!

The equalizer, to me, is tires. And Pb. Put an 'Outlaw' Stock on hard treaded 8" tires w/ 54% left side and put a 'Pro' Stock on 10" slicks w/ 58% left side!

Yes, I do get bent outta shape when I see guys running upper control arm mounts that are not stock. I think they should be stock. I'm also not a big fan of 3-links because that's a big advantage too. (It's all about RCs!) And, remember how we all reacted to AMCAR?! I quit the class and bought a Truck! I even tried to sell my car! Talk about feeling chafed!

BUT, this is bigger than all of us. I'm going to leave it up to Raymond and his crew to make the playing field as level and as competitive as possible. Based upon what I've seen with the responses we will likely have a B-main for the 'Stock' (?) Car class. From what I've read it is VERY likely that there will be 25+ in the Trucks and er, Cars...

whatever the case I think these guys will do well getting the rules as square as can be and then issuing entry forms for pre-entry. Let us all have a little "skin in the game" on the commitment side.

Have talked to some folks that have mentioned about racing next year, remember if these 2 shows are not huge successes we will be here a year from now wishing a pavement track would open.

You know its funny, everyone was complaining and wanting to race so bad when HMP closed and then it got worse when CTS closed. Now they are giving you a place to race and we got to bitch about the rules. Look its 2 races this year, show up give them a car count so it will show people that way there is an asphalt track to race at in Texas. Then next year when they schedule more races start lobbying for the class. This was a major undertaking for Raymond to get done. Look they did the right thing HMP hasn't run stock cars in what 2 years, CTS has been running all the way up to this year. When making a class they went with the cars that were filling the class in Kyle. So yes the rules aren't exact but hey that's better than they car just sitting in the garage still collecting dust. So nut up, show up and race you never know what can happen. Support the track, support the owners

They should just post a set of rules if they want to avoid everyone giving there opinion on what they think is best. If you ask 100 drivers what they want, you will get 100 different answers. If you post a set of rules the real racers will build there cars and show up if they want to race.

Yes I do is there a problem with me having an opinion and wanting to see asphalt racing in Texas survive. Look I'm 37 years old and have raced for 30 years of my life. I've only started going straight the past 3 years, I've actually been looking at getting back into circle track racing and going back to running dwarfs or mod lites like I did from 1997 to 2003. I've raced at tracks like Longhorn, CTS, HMP, CCS, TRP, HOT, Bellmead, Texas Thunder, Abilene, WRP, 281, Kennedale, Cowtown, 85 Speedway, TRP, Gator, Devils Bowl, San Angelo, Mountain Creek, Ardmore, Creek County, Port City so I feel like I have some ground to speak on circle track racing. I just want to see racing survive in Texas. This is too big of a state to not have any asphalt tracks running.

wow josh freeman I ran out of breath reading that long list of tracks ...I agree with you bring the car and run it . next year if they run then get the rules done ..don't show up don't complain if there is no shows next year .

Josh42 makes a great point. then punctuates it with his list of tracks. look at how many of the track in his list is no longer with us. it has been sad to see asphalt tracks close. lets all support HMS and Corpus when they are open otherwise we are going to have a lot of "retired" drivers.

You know its funny, everyone was complaining and wanting to race so bad when HMP closed and then it got worse when CTS closed. Now they are giving you a place to race and we got to bitch about the rules. Look its 2 races this year, show up give them a car count so it will show people that way there is an asphalt track to race at in Texas. Then next year when they schedule more races start lobbying for the class. This was a major undertaking for Raymond to get done. Look they did the right thing HMP hasn't run stock cars in what 2 years, CTS has been running all the way up to this year. When making a class they went with the cars that were filling the class in Kyle. So yes the rules aren't exact but hey that's better than they car just sitting in the garage still collecting dust. So nut up, show up and race you never know what can happen. Support the track, support the owners

better advice coming from a straight line guy then the local roundy rounders. Great post Josh

• 2 weeks later...

We are planning on bringing the cars we've been racing in the enduro races. One has a 604 and the other a 602. Both are "stock frame cars. Ones a nova with the original body and the other is a big frame gm chassis with most of an old ABC latemodel body. Probably bringing plastic spoons to a gun fight and most likey won't be a threat to win but you never know.

One way to make it a good race for fans is by inverting the entire feild. Those not comfortable starting up front can opt to start at the rear. Stupid to put the fastest car on the front row and watch them drive off.

The 55 will make sure his 'plastic spoon' is as lethal of a 'weapon' as possible. 604? That sounds intertesting.

From what I can see with my son's build he might actually have a shot a one of these races.

Completely agree with a full invert. Fastest at the back.

Appreciate the props John...

Metroracer: You had a great lineup of stock car drivers that put on some great shows at HMP, but lets not forget the likes of Del Harris, Tommy Page, Roger Hellman, Jim Axley, Richard Smith Sr., Richard Smith Jr, Nathan Demski, Dale Demski, JT Schild, Quention Epler, Travis Westell, Shane Hunt, Freddie Davila, BJ Atchison, Ted Colunga, Hunter Vestel, Mason Teague, Randy Lovell, Nick Cole, James Huff, Travis Elliot, David Cobb and Mike Mogensen and many many more that put on some great shows in the Stock Car Class. Look forward to seeing more in the future.

Archived