T. Minten, Votion, Whiteaker, Jones, Heinaman, Gaither grab I-37 wins

I-37 Speedway by R&M Promotions, 4/8/17
By JM Hallas

Pleasanton, TX.,(April. 8Th, 2017) After a grand, 'grand re-opening' that saw a standing room only crowd, overflow parking added and almost 100 cars in the pits, I-37 Speedway was busy again Saturday night. Another huge crowd of fans filled the stands while 80 drivers and teams signed in for the nights battle on the ¼ mile, semi-banked, dirt oval.

During the pre-race week several sponsors stepped to add the nights purses. $200 was added to the Sport Modifieds to win pay, making it 625 to the first one to the checkered flag. $100 to the Pure Stocks, $50 on top, $50 to a random finish draw and $50 on top of the Limited Late Models.

A near full house crowd was treated to some good racing, with several drivers making their first appearance of the year. Five new winners found their way to 'Victory Lane' including three past track champions.

I-37 Speedway saw its first roll over of the 2017 re-opening in the Pure Stock division when Daniel Preston spun and tagged in the quarter panel. The left side dug in and Preston did a soft, easy roll onto his top. He was alright after being checked out by safety crews.

Fans seemed to have picked veteran GB Carter as their favorite in the Sport Compacts. Carter, in his VW Rabbit, elected to start himself in the rear, but quickly made his way forward catching Dillon Gaither at the finish only to come up inches short at the finish line.

Minten Motors to Modified Money
After falling one position short on opening night, Talon Minten(Seguin) was able to lead the way in the 20-lap Modified Main. Minten and Cody Leonard swapped the top spot early until Minten was able to put some distance on the second place battle between Leonard and last races winner, Chris Swenson. By the time Leonard finally shook off Swenson, Minten was a half straightaway ahead and cruising to the checkers.

Minten was first into turn 1 at the start of the Modified main, but Leonard beat him off turn 2 to lead lap 1. Minten came back on the bottom to take the point over on lap 2 while Swenson, Hunter Flanagan and Jamie Campbell watched on. The young gun duo were still side by side on lap 3 , with Campbell taking fourth from Hunter.

Leonard, still trying the top, would spin himself on lap 7. Swenson had a near miss running in his tracks and Campbell had to take evasive action as well. On the restart Matt Fox pounded the front stretch wall ending his night. Once back to green Campbell used the top to his advantage getting By Swenson as Minten inched away.

At halfway Campbell had trouble in turn 2 for a quick caution. Minten, Swenson and Leonard, who had made his way back up, broke away on green. As the laps clicked off Swenson and Leonard battled for second allowing Minten to build his lead. At the checkers it was Minten by a half straight in the 3-D Landscaping, All In Designs, Swenson Racing Products, Alamo Hot Rod Parts, Rising Star Racing Bodies, Friesen crate powered, Hughes chassis.

“This makes up for falling short in the Modified last race,” exclaimed Minten. Last time I think a couple more laps and I might have had him. This week I was able to start in front and was able to stay there. That was good.”

“I wasn't that worried about the high line this week. I saw Cody(Leonard) running the high line the first couple laps and it seemed like he was falling back, so I didn't think the high line would come it that much.”

“My car was on a rail around the bottom. I heard that they were trying the top behind me, but never thought about it. Running the Sport Modified first let me know I was going to need to stay on the bottom. That was my plan, stay there until I got passed.”

post-34-0-92676900-1491770865_thumb.jpg

Cash Bred Off Road Modifieds
14t Talon Minten, 12 Cody Leonard, 48 Chris Swenson, 29 Jamie Campbell, 91 Jeremy Davenport, 125 Jason Borlace, 58 Hunter Flanagan, 53x Matt Fox, 28 James Samford---dns

Modified heats
Heat 1; 14t Talon Minten, 48 Chris Swenson, 125 Jason Borlace, 91 Jeremy Davenport, 53x Matt Fox

Heat 2; 12 Cody Leonard, 58 Hunter Flanagan, 29 Jamie Campbell, 28 James Samford

Votion in Motion for Limited Late Loot
Defending Limited Late Model track champ, Trey Votion(San Antonio) made his return to the track he holds several championships on. Using the top side, Votion chased down last weeks winner Jason Kelly late in the 15-lapper. Votion rolled around the outside of J. Kelly to get the lead late, then held off a final attempt by J. Kelly to secure the victory.

Former and multi-time track champ Gary Hunter grabbed the early lead at the start of the Limited Late Model feature with J. Kelly, Okruhlik, Votion and Patrick Kelly in tow. J. Kelly got under Hunter to snag the lead on lap 2 with the two 99's, Votion and Okruhlik, door to door for third. After getting the spot, Votion then took second from Hunter.

Hunter then lost third to Okruhlik as Votion and Okruhlik went back at it again, this time for second. Votion, running the high groove, was able to shake Okruhlik while P. Kelly took fourth from Hunter. At halfway Votion was closing on J. Kelly, who was sticking to the bottom.

Votion used the momentum on the top to get along side J. Kelly on lap 10. The two dueled for two laps before Votion finally secured the spot on lap 12. J. Kelly gave him one last challenge on the final lap, but it was Votion in the ZDT's Amusement Park, Champion Signs, Mission Race Engines powered, Kelly Racing Chassis, Ford taking the win.

“It's been a whole lot of late nights getting this car ready,” commented Votion. “I'm just ecstatic that everything worked the way it was supposed to. We literally just ran it up and down the road last night. This is the first time I've had this car on the track.”

“I knew Jason(Kelly) wouldn't give up that bottom. I was able to make the top work just enough. After weeks and weeks of working and building this car, I was so happy to finish with everything working and then loading on trailer in one piece. Fords finished 1,2 & 4!”

“I watched part of the Street Stock race and saw the 7 car(Leonard) was making it work up there. I knew I wouldn't get below Jason and figured that was the only way to make it work. That's just how it shook out.”

“Being the defending track champ was really no pressure. My main goal was just to be in one piece at the end of the night. If anything more than that happened, I was going to be happy. The baseline set up we used is about the same as the old car, but this(car) is entirely different. You never know coming out the first night if you're going to hit it right. It's fairly neutral right now and that's the way I like it.”

Nogalitos Gear Limited Late Models
99v Trey Votion, 57 Jason Kelly, 99o Frank Okruhlik, 84 Patrick Kelly, 14 Gary Hunter, 93 Aaron Leddy, 42 Ron Sprayue, 15 John Owen, 13 Howie Marcx

Limited Late Model heat; 42 Ron Sprayue, 84 Patrick Kelly, 99o Frank Okruhlik, 99v Trey Votion, 57 Jason Kelly, 14 Gary Hunter, 13 Howie Marcx, 93 Aaron Leddy, 15 John Owen

Whiteaker Goes Wire to Wire for Sport Modified Win
Corpus Christi's Steve Whiteaker jr. had to settle for second on opening night, but tonight was his night. At the start of the 20-lap feature Whiteaker made a three wide pass to grab the lead as green waved. Cody Leonard would try to hang with Whiteaker throughout several restarts. In the final green flag run Whiteaker was able to distance himself from the field for the win.

Sixteen-cars took the green for the Sport Modified feature with L. Mikulencak beating Leonard into turn 1. Leonard fought back getting along side in turn 3 with Whiteaker finding a hole to dive three wide off turn 4 to lead lap 1. Leonard, L. Mikulencak, Broc Bowen and Ryan Doyon fell in line behind Whiteaker. Leonard quickly tried Whiteaker for the lead on lap 1 while Talon Minten got fifth from Doyon.

After a quick caution for Rowdy Flanagan, who stopped in turn 4, Whiteaker got clear while Bowen and L. Mikulencak ran side by side for third and Beddoe along side T. Minten for fifth. After a series of cautions they reached the midway point showing Whiteaker, Leonard, L. Mikulencak, Bowen and Beddoe in the top five, with the Minten brothers trading some paint for sixth.

Eric Ramos explored the turn 3 hill on lap 13 for a yellow, then turn 2 hill on the restart trying to avoid Trent Beaver who got turned around with Tom Grothues. Finally back to green, Bowen took third from L. Mikulencak with R. Minten side by side with Beddoe in the fight for fifth.

With five to go Whiteaker was creeping away from Leonard. As he took the white flag, Whiteaker had a few car lengths advantage in his DS&S Construction, Cotrell Racing, Performance Graphics, WW Bodies, Churchs Chicken, raceontexas.com, Nasty Cookers, Rhino Rearends, Fletcher Race Engines, Hughes by 89 Motorsports Chassis, that he carried to the finish line.

“I saw there was some moisture around the very bottom in turns 3-4.” replied Whiteaker who made a move on the start. “So I figured that's where I was going try for. At the same time the 87(L. Mikulencak) pushed up the track and left a hole there, so I took it. The seas parted and made it easy.”

“Cody(Leonard) tried to hang on the top for a lap two, so I wondered about that(line) building momentum. I was making pretty big circles and keeping my momentum up, and I didn't hear anybody. When you're leading like you're not sure how fast you are or if you're even in the right line. I just stayed around the bottom, the car had good momentum and speed. We came away with the win. Nothing really to complain about.”

“We are far from baseline on our car right now. We had a baseline set up for years. I have my customers asking questions and decided it was time to go to work. What I'm running right now is nowhere close to my normal set up. I'm using my car as an r&d car and we're gaining on it every week. The car has good driveablilty in the corners and we're working on straightaway speed.”

“Once we get something figured out, all my cars will have it. I don't feel I'm giving away secrets to my team cars. I've got a good 89 Motorsports team and I try to keep it small. We all get along and race great with respect. We'll do anything for one another. I'm grateful for the customers I have now.”

Swenson Racing Products Sport Modifieds
89c Steve Whiteaker jr., 12 Cody Leonard, 56 Broc Bowen, 87 Lawrence Mikulencak, 77 Cody Beddoe, 9t Talon Minten, 24r Robby Minten, 11t Tom Grothues, 66t Zach Tippett, 21r Eric Ramos, 22 Randy Bennett, 14 Trent Beaver, 38 David Schury, 03 Marcus Mikulencak, 57 Rowdy Flanagan, 9 Ryan Doyon, bd3 Greg Carlucci jr---dns, 58 Hunter Flanagan---dns

Sport Modified heats
Heat 1; 87 Lawrence Mikulencak, 56 Broc Bowen, 9t Talon Minten, 24r Robby Minten, 66t Zach Tippett, bd3 Greg Carlucci jr.

Heat 2; 12 Cody Leonard, 88c Steve Whiteaker jr., 57 Rowdy Flanagan, 14 Trent Beaver, 21r Eric Ramos, 58 Hunter Flanagan---dns

Heat 3; 9 Ryan Doyon, 03 Marcus Mikulencak, 77 Cody Beddoe, 38 David Schury, 22 Randy Bennett, 11t Tom Grothues

Jones Jets to Street Stock Spoils
Multi-time track champion, Wade Jones(Jourdanton) found his way back to the winners circle leading flag to flag. Jones quickly jumped out front from the pole and built nearly a full straightaway before the races final caution. Jones, last weeks winner Cody Leonard and Shawn Moore broke away, but Jones eased away again to take the checkers.

On the initial start to the 20-lap, 13-car Street Stock feature polesitter Kenny Hurley spun in turn 1 scattering the field. No one suffered significant damage and this allowed Jones to move to the pole for the restart. As Jones took off, Shawn Moore got second with Leonard, Robert Danielson and Abraham Mares 3-wide for third.

Hurley, Wayne Wernette and Bobby Jack got tangled in turn 4 for an early caution. As Jones rocketed off on green, Leonard got second from Moore with Jarrett Payton getting by Mares for fifth. By now Jones had a full straightaway lead until Jacob Crow and W. Wernette had separate spins. As the top three broke away on green, Jack and Tom Casey went spinning in turn 1.

Once again the top three got clear with Danielson and Mares briefly hooking bumpers for fifth. At halfway Jones was inching away from Leonard, Moore, Payton and Danielson. With five to go Payton had caught Moore with the two fighting for third as the laps wound down

The only thing to slow down Jones, was lapped traffic. Jones caught two cars side by side with thoughts of going three wide. Jones waited a corner, found an opening and got through. Leonard was only able to close the gap slightly. With clear track ahead, Jones in his SABFI Transportation, Opiela Mechanical, Chevy Camaro powered by an in-house motor from his grandpa, cruised to the victory.

“It was kind of discouraging not winning on opening night,” said Jones. “But I was happy with second place least week and being able to load the car on the trailer in one piece. Second place is better than third place.”

“With the track the way it's been starting up front is important. I like the track when it's dry like it was tonight. Every track is fun though. Doesn't matter to me, everyone has the same track conditions.”

“I try to peek over my left shoulder to see where people are. I didn't see or hear Cody(Leonard) back there. I was just hanging out on the bottom and if anyone made the top work, good for them.”

“We were kind of bummed about missing the last track championship here due to a DQ for grooving tires. We're looking to make up for it this year. We'll be out here all season, as long as we can make it.”

SABFI Transportation Street Stocks
41 Wade Jones, 7 Cody Leonard, 18 Shawn Moore, 9s Jarrett Payton , 87 Robert Danielson, bd1 Cheryl Gray, 3 Abraham Mares, 99 Wayne Wernette, 37 AJ Wernette, 88 Bobby Jack, 42 Tom Casey, 8 Jacob Crow, 40 Kenny Hurley, 2x Dennis Hilla---dns, 31 Jeff Hendricks---dns

Street Stock heats
Heat 1; 40 Kenny Hurley, 87 Robert Danielson, 3 Abraham Mares, 88 Bobby Jack, 42 Tom Casey, 8 Jacob Crow, 31 Jeff Hendricks, 2x Dennis Hilla---dns

Heat 2; 41 Wade Jones, 18 Shawn Moore, 37 AJ Wernette, 7 Cody Leonard, 9s Jarrett Payton, bd1 Cheryl Gray, 99 Wayne Wernette

Heinaman Hustles to Pure Stock Pay Day
Last time out the Pure Stock feature was decided by a bumper, with Dakota Heinaman(Lindale) inches short. Heinaman grabbed the top spot from early leader Mason Casteneda after halfway in a race broken up by multiple cautions and cut for time limits. After a final green, white checker finish Heinaman held off a last charge from Casteneda to score the victory.

With a few extra bucks on the line the 20-car Pure Stock feature wasn't at a loss for action and it started early. As the field took the green it was 3-wide for the lead coming off turn 2 with Heinaman, Castendeda and Josh Sewell fighting for the spot. Casteneda got the spot with Sewell, Heinaman, Preston and William Saunders on his tail until Sewell looped it for a caution.

On the restart Preston got sideways in turn one and got clipped, turning him over on his roof for the red flag. Once back to racing, Casteneda and Heinaman got away from the pack while Aaron Leddy got by Saunders and Trey Heald for fifth. Leddy gave back those spots with a side trip through the infield a few laps later.

At the crossed flags it was Casteneda, Heinaman, Dakota Hurley, Cheyloh Flanagan and Saunders with Heald and Pat Lyon door to door for sixth. As the top four sorted out, Heald got along side and by Saunders for fifth. Heinaman began putting pressure on Casteneda for lead and got inside in turn 1, taking the point coming off turn 2 on lap 12.

Lap 13 saw a multi-car tangle after Clint Montaino got turned collecting Riley Heil, Kris Workman, Emmitt Sevilla and James Aramendia jr. With the race shortened to a green, white, checkered finish Saunders went over the turn 2 hill. The restart gave Casteneda one last shot at Heinaman who held on for the win.

All In Designs Pure Stocks
441 Dakota Heinaman, 28m Mason Castenda, 40 Dakota Hurley, 58 Cheyloh Brodnax, 14 Trey Heald, 93 Aaron Leddy(-1 spot jump), 38x Josh Sewell,48 Pat Lyon, 4k David Sheffield, 13 Kris Workman, 15 William Cavender, 97 James Aramendia jr., 98 William Saunders, 18 Emmitt Sevilla, 88 Alexis Hendricks, 09 Clint Montaino, 30 Riley Heil, 6 Daniel Preston, 68d Kenny Wright, 2 Jonathon Mares

Pure Stock Heats
Heat 1; 38x Josh Sewell, 28m Mason Casteneda, 6 Daniel Preston, 58 Cheyloh Flanagan, 4k David Sheffield, 93 Aaron Leddy, 14 Trey Heald, 97 James Aramendia jr., 09 Clint Montanio, 18 Emmitt Sevilla

Heat 2; 441 Dakote Heinaman, 98 William Saunders, 40 Dakota Hurley, 13 Kris Workman, 48 Pat Lyon, 15 William Cavender, 30 Riley Heil, 88 Alexis Hendricks

Gaither Grabs Gold in Sport Compact Thriller
Former track champ Dillon Gaither(San Antonio) would lead every lap of the 15-lap Sport Compact feature, but it was a nail biter. Gaither jumped out front on green while GB Carter, who won last week, opted to start out back in the 17-car field. As Gaither held off Robert Kelm and Jamie Garner, Carter was on his march, quickly becoming a crowd favorite. Carter caught Gaither on the final lap and coming to the line, with the crowd on its feet, Carter dove low but came up a “hare” short as Gaither got the win by a bumper.

The start of the 15-lap Sport Compact feature saw Gaither off turn 2 first trailed by Kelm, Treyler Caulfield, Garner and Devon Suritt. As they scrapped it out for second through fifth, it was four wide for seventh, including Carter. Daniel Zajac left some parts on track bringing out yellow just short of halfway. As green waved again it was Gaither, Kelm and Garner side by side, Caulfield and Carter in the top five.

Two separate spins on lap 9 slowed the action again with Carter using the restarts to his advantage. Carter got around Kelm for second and began tracking down Gaither. Carter made his move as they took the white flag running side by side with Gaither. The duo were still door to door coming to the checkers with Gaither in the Rohmer Racing, Tiburon holding off Carter's Rabbit.

Brown Chevrolet Sport Compacts
5 Dillon Gaither, 77 GB Carter, 8 Robert Kelm, 51 Brian Schneider, 56jr Treyler Caulfield, 3 Jamie Garner, 114 Brandon McCall, 42 Daniel Zajac, 63 Gordon Dowdy, 13m Jeremy Watson, 69 Filipe Ruiz, 44 Eric Watson, 4, Jeremy Witt, 57 Trevor Bettis, 181 George Quintinilla, 15 Devon Suritt, 33c Charles Earnhardt III

Sport Compact heats
Heat 1; 56jr Treyler Caulfield, 56 Gordon Dowdy, 42 Daniel Zajac, 69 Filipe Ruiz, 114 Brandon McCall, 4 Jeremy Witt, 33 Charles Earnhardt III, 44 Eric Watson

Heat 2; 77 GB Carter, 5 Dillon Gaither, 3 Jamie Garner, 8 Robert Kelm, 15 Devon Suritt, 57 Trevor Bettis, 181 George Quintinilla, 13m Jeremy Watson, 51 Brian Schneider---dns

Archived