STLMS @ Cotton Bowl Speedway 3-18-17

Southern Texas Late Model Series @ Cotton Bowl Speedway, 3/18/17

By JM Hallas

(Paige, TX.,) March 18th, 2017) After losing the originally scheduled opening night due to rain and last weekend as well, Cotton Bowl Speedway finally got its first race in. For some drivers it was their first chance to show off a new car, new wrap or just turn some laps. For others, like the Southern Sportmods or CBS Stocks, it was just fine tuning after getting the jump while running some big early season shows.

On the nights schedule were the IMCA Modifieds, Southern Sportmods and Stock Cars, as well as the CBS Stocks. Highlighting the night was the Southern Texas Late Model Series.

The STLMS, which began in 2012, has grown from two south Texas tracks(Shady Oaks Spwy. And Texana Raceway Park) to hold 11 events at five tracks on the 2017 schedule. The series has three different motor rules allowing for a variety of cars to compete. GW Egbert is the defending 2016 champion.

Theiss Sweet for Topside Tally

Austin Theiss(Hockley) set up for the high side and made it pay off taking the win in the 25-lap STLMS main event. Theiss hung around the top three all race chasing young gun Colton Horner and Tracy Denby jr. On a restart Thiess used the bottom to get past Horner after some contact, but a yellow erased the pass. Undaunted, Theiss went back up top, using the momentum to go around Horner, then eased away for the victory.

As the 16-car field roared to life it was Denby beating Horner into turn 1 with a three wide battle for fourth. As they sorted out it was Denby, Horner, Kevin Sitton, Theiss and Brandon Brzozowski in the top five. Horner took some early looks low on Denby while Jim Moon charged into the top ten after starting scratch in a back up car.

Horner had just gotten along side Denby when Mark Shipman went around for a lap 4 yellow. After another quick yellow, Horner and Denby were side by side again. Horner got the nose out front for lap 5, but Denby came back around. As the duo slugged it out, Theiss made his way past Sitton and was lurking in third with Moon now fifth.

Horner finally secured the top spot on lap 8 with Denby now fighting off Thiess. Denby would go around trying to hold Theiss off for a lap 10 caution. On the restart Theiss ducked inside Horner with the two making a bit of contact off turn 2, but Alex Ashley and Kody Hardage tangled in the pack to bring the yellow back out.

A six-car pile up in turn 4 on the restart slowed the action once again. Now starting single file, Theiss was up top trying to get a run on Horner. At halfway it was Horner, Thiess, Sitton, Moon and GW Egbert in the top five. Denby was motoring back through the field getting by Brzozowski for sixth then along side Moon for fifth.

Up front it was heating up with Theiss sailing it around the top getting a good run off the corners. Horner and Theiss were door to door at the stripe on lap 15 with Theiss getting the nose ahead on lap 16. Once into traffic, Theiss was forced to the bottom giving Horner a run on him, but yellow would slow the pace on lap 20 opening up the top for Theiss on the restart(s).

On one of tries Denby, who had looped it again, make contact with K. Hardage sending him into the back stretch wall. K. Hardage ricocheted off the wall and clipped Eddy Hardage on the way by sending him around. Finally back under green, Theiss got away clean and was able to pull ahead in his Saye Plumbing Contractors, Nolls Automotive, Northside Plumbing, Razor Edge Graphics, Dynamic Drivelines, Performance Engineering, Vic Hill Race Engines, MB Customs Chassis going on to the checkers.

“We just took our time up there and didn't kill the right rear,” said Theiss. “We were just biding our time until the end when I gave it all it had and went for the checkers. You don't ever really know what the other drivers are going to do. If I had bobbled up there anyone behind me could have gotten by easily. All those cautions were actually concerning me. I could feel the tires were cooling and I'd rather have they stay a bit warm.”

“When we went out for the feature we were shooting for up top. There was a little bit of moisture up there. I was banking on going for the top and hoping it would work for us. Luckily it worked out for us. When we got into lapped cars I had to change my line a little bit, but it all worked out in the end.”

“I knew everyone would be shooting for the bottom and thought I could save my tires and run where everybody else wasn't. I knew it would take a couple laps to get the tires clean and the line clean, but I knew we could run up top and really shake it up, up there.”

South Texas Late Model Series Series

7d Austin Theiss, 56jr Colton Horner, 97 Kevin Sitton, 717 GW Egbert, 1x(1) Jim Moon, 15 Tracy Denby jr., 104 Brandon Brzozowski, 45 Brian Machicek, zz Sloppy Hogg, 12 Kody Hardage, 78 Eddy Hardage, 31 Gary Lowe, 57 Mark Shipman, 22 Todd Jouett, 14 Alex Ashley, 19 Casey Fielding, 1x(1) Robert Scrivner---dns

post-34-0-88694900-1489946725_thumb.jpg

STLMS heats
Heat 1; 1x Robert Scrivner, 15 Tracy Denby jr., 19 Casey Fielding, 104 Brandon Brzozowski, 12 Kody Hardage, 717 GW Egbert, 45 Brian Machicek, 78 Eddy Hardage, 1 Jim Moon

Heat 2; 56jr Colton Horner, 97 Kevin Sitton, 7d Austin Theiss, 14 Alex Ashley, zz Sloppy Hogg, 22 Todd Jouett, 57 Mark Shipman, 31 Gary Lowe

Greens Grabs First Cotton Bowl Checkers for Cox

Kevin Green took home the honors in the IMCA Modified main dedicating his first Cotton Bowl win to Harvey Cox, a long time supporter of the Green family racing. Green got the lead coming off turn 2 then went green to checkers using two different lines on each end to put some distance on Eric Tomlinson at the finish.

As the feature fired off with Green out front, Jamie Campbell, Cody Tidwell, Dillon Tindell and Tomlinson fell in line. As Tomlinson moved forward, Tindell lost several spots and Brandon Hood bounced off the wall. As David Goode sr. and Joey Whitehead battled with Tindell, Whitehead made contact and began smoking, ending his night.

CJ Gray brought out a lap 9 caution with a turn 2 spin. On the restart Chris Morris, Ryan Childress and Tindell got tangled in turn 1. Tomlinson got second from Campbell as green waved again leaving him three wide with Goode and Tidwell. Tidwell, in the middle, got pinched and broke something, forcing him out of the race.

As Green and Tomlinson broke away, Campbell, Goode and Hood slugged it out for third. Green, using the bottom in turns 1-2 and the top in turns 3-4 increased his margin over Tomlinson while the scramble for third continued. As the white waved, Green in the Harvey Cox Racing, Greens Automatic Transmissions, Day Motorsports, Stewart Stainless, Lambs Muffler, Berta Built Bodies, NateMare Wraps, Friesen crate powered, Shaw by CAM Chassis had a half straight on Tomlinson that he held to the checkers.

“Mission accomplished” exclaimed Green. “This was one mission I had this year, to get a Modified win here. We've run some here in the Modified and the Sportmod, but never a full season. We even had a few Sportmod wins, but this is our first Modified win. We were actually leading in the big show here once and had a good race with Kevin Sustaire and Keith White, but ended up fifth. That was of my first races in a Modified.”

“We lost Harvey Cox over the off season, but we're still racing for him. He's done so much for us over the years with my dad. He'll not be forgotten.”

“Starting out front you definitely feel like a sitting duck out there. We won our heat race running around the top and it felt pretty good up there. We made some changes to run the top in the feature. Watching the Sportmod feature I didn't see anyone up there, but thought I had to try. It was pretty good. It was real good in (turns) 3-4, (turns) 1-2 wasn't as good but no one showed me any different.”

“The cushion kept moving up. It was getting slicker in (turns) 1-2. You had to be easier on it or the wall would sneak up on you. In (turns) 3-4 I could still hit it pretty good and it felt comfortable. You just try to keep it straight, keep it smooth.”

“After that caution I saw the 45 car under me a little bit. I made a little line change because (turns) 1-2 was going away. So I moved down there, but still felt good in (turns) 3-4. I knew he would race me clean. I knew I could trust him. We're good friends and run together good. It was fun racing.”

IMCA Modifieds

5 Kevin Green, 45t Eric Tomlinson, 7g David Goode sr., 1b Brandon Hood, 29 Jamie Campbell, 86 Dillon Tindell, 94 Chris Morris, 81 Ryan Childress, 17 Cody Tidwell, 23 CJ Gray, m17 Joey Whitehead, 13 Jerry Frydrych---dns, 377 Matt Banker---dns

IMCA Modified heats
Heat 1; 5 Kevin Green, 17 Cody Tidwell, 1b Brandon Hood, 81 Ryan Childress, 23 CJ Gray, 377 Matt Banker

Heat 2; 45t Eric Tomlinson, 29 Jamie Campbell, 86 Dillon Tindell, 7g David Goode sr., 94 Chris Morris, 13 Jerry Frydrych, m17 Joey Whithead---dns

Wagner Almost Wire to Wire for Sportmod Win

In the 20-lap IMCA Southern Sportmod feature Mike Wagner and Vince Louden put on a show in the early stages. The two ran wheel to wheel, swapping the lead until Wagner finally took control. Louden didn't make it easy keeping the pressure on Wagner until the checkers.

As green waved on the 14-car field with Wagner getting the point in turn 1. Behind him Louden and Gene Burnett were side by side followed by another door to door battle between Jeremy Petty and Thomas Bennett. As the top four sorted out it left Petty three wide with Heath Stewart and Rick Wolfe.

Louden caught Wagner on lap 4 and when Wagner got loose off turn 4, Louden snuck the nose out front to lead lap 5. Wagner fought back retaking the top spot on lap 7. By halfway the top two had checked out leaving Stewart, George Egbert and Burnett three wide for third.

In the waning laps the lead duo, who had built a huge lead, ran up on side by side lappers. Wagner, in the Wolfe Fabrication, Fat Daddys Designs, Luigis Motor powered, CAM chassis was able to dice his way through cleanly and hold off Louden for the win.

“We got it where it needed to be,” replied Wagner. “We had to change a right rear shock and did some modifications in the shop. Wolfe Fabrication did all the work. With the Late Models laying down rubber it made it slick out there.”

“Vince(Louden) is always a hot shoe, you have to watch him. He and (Don) Painter are two guys I have to watch for. I probably have a little advantage in the number of laps I have here compared to Vince. On a track like that, it's anyone game.”

IMCA Southern Sportmods

qw1k Mike Wagner, 6 Vince Louden, 25 Heath Stewart, 70 George Egbert, 43g Gene Burnett, r3w Rick Wolfe, ok Thomas Bennett, 43 Jeremy Petty, 11t Tom Grothues, 55g Gerald Henderson, 7 Bruce Hinson, 12 Duane Owens, 84 Douglas Wiggins, 10d Don Painter

IMCA SSM heats
Heat 1; 6 Vince Louden, qw1k Mike Wagner, 10d Don Painter, 55g Gerald Henderson, 43 Jeremy Petty, 84 Douglas Wiggins, 12d Duane Owens

Heat 2; r3w Rick Wolfe, ok Thomas Bennett, 43g Gene Burnett, 70 George Egbert, 25 Heath Stewart, 7 Bruce Hinson, 11t Tom Grothues

Plonsky Picks up I-Stock Pay Day

Ken Plonsky was in the right place at the right time to capitalize on a restart that got him into the lead in the latter stages on the 15-lap IMCA Stock Car feature. On a green, white, checker restart Anthony Otken and AJ Dancer got hooked in turn 4 with Plonsky getting the edge of a four-wide scrap coming to green. Plonsky got enough of an advantage to carry it to the checkers ahead of Otken and Dancer, who recovered after getting unhooked.

At the start Otken, Plonsky and Dead Priem were three wide for the top spot. Otken secured the spot while Dancer, who had brake issues in the heat, quickly made his way to the top five getting by Nic Priem. Dancer continued his march forward getting second just past halfway, but a ways behind Otken.Lap after lap Dancer cut into Otkens lead and it looked like he'd come up short of a chance, but a late spin by Bill Siegman jr. set up the exciting finish.

On green Dancer ducked under Otken with the two making contact. As the pack stacked up, Plonsky in the Arrow Automotive, Cen-Tex Engine Dyno, Chevy made the move to lead coming through the four, almost wide scramble. Once out front Plonsky was able to fight off a final charge by Otken for the win.

IMCA Stock Cars

4k Ken Plonsky, 489 Anthony Otken, 52 AJ Dancer, 17 Nic Priem, 13 Chad McLean, 17d Dean Priem, 04 Nathan Robins, 77 Bill Siegman jr., 69b Jeffrey Bohro, 14j Jay Simon II---dns

IMCA Stock Car heats

Heat 1; 17d Dean Priem, 4k Ken Plonsky, 17 Nic Priem, 13 Chad McLean, 489 Anthony Otken, 14j Jay Simon II, 77 Bill Siegman jr., 69b Jeffrey Bohro, 04 Nathan Robins, 52 AJ Dancer

Bennett Best of Stock Car Bunch

Danny Bennett added another CBS Stock win to his total taking the 15-lap feature. D. Bennett, who opted to start at the back, quickly made his way to the front. After a brief side by side battle with his son, Andrew, D. Bennett got the lead at halfway. Steve Sims, who contested the points championship last year with D. Bennett, followed to second.

D. Bennett put a half straightaway on the field until the closing laps when he ran up on slower traffic. This allowed Sims to cut into D. Bennett's lead, but never enough to mount any serious challenge as D. Bennett in the Ladds Coin, Danny Boy Racing, Bastrop Auto Parts, Chevy cruised to the victory.

CBS Stocks

r4j Danny Bennett, 58 Steve Sims, 00 Andrew Bennett, 0* Bryan Mayeux, 56 Drake Pruitt, 2x Casey Crane, 77 Jason Dismuke, 14 George King

CBS Stock heat

Heat 1; 58 Steve Sims, r4j Danny Bennett, 00 Andrew Bennett, 2x Casey Crane, 14 George King, 0* Bryan Mayeux, 77 Jason Dismuke, 56 Drake Pruitt

Racing continues next weekend with the three IMCA Classes(Mod, Sportmod, Stocks) along with the CBS Stocks and the Dwarf Car Racing Series of Texas. For more info visit their website www.cottonbowlspeedway.com/281speedway.com or their facebook page

Archived