Encumber.....

rebelracewriter

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/aj-allmendinger-loses-points-kyle-buschs-xfinity-win-encumbered-181654413.html

Well I've looked high and low in dictionaries online but find no definition describing "a win"...Tthe closest I can come is this British version describing the #bashcar administrations way of thinking...

British Dictionary definitions for encumber
encumber
/ɪnˈkʌmbə/
verb (transitive)
1. to hinder or impede; make difficult; hamper: encumbered with parcels after going shopping at Christmas, his stupidity encumbers his efforts to learn
2. to fill with superfluous or useless matter
3. to burden with debts, obligations, etc

You know, this wouldnt be an issue if it wasnt KB.

I'd lump JJ/Cheatin' Chad in that same basket easily....lol

The bigger issue now is that Cup guys are not only taking money from the lower series, but points as well with the new participation trophies(points) they're handing out for segments.....Then cheating to do so.

True the prize money may not seem like much, but some truck/xfinity teams are so limited they're lucky to make a race, while the Cup regulars certainly aren't hurting for funding.

I don't know Reb, "..his stupidity encumbers his ability to learn" could apply to the 3rd generation France in charge.

Leave it the nascar braintrust to misuse a word to describe a ruling.

Cup drivers encumber the XFinity drivers? I will buy that.

But you can't "encumber" something that has already happened.

This is what happens when you try to sound smarter than you are - not to say I have never been guilty of that ;-)

Dale Jr failed post race at daytona with his baseball car. It didnt even make the headlines. So again, its all about who it is.

That was 13 years ago, too.

Jay,

NASCAR was still using the "old" style cars, pre CoT. When they moved to the Cot the specifically stated that when you don't follow the rules you will be dealt with harshly. It was literally a different era when that happened with Jr. That was my point.

You both missed MY point, this has been going on for as long as NASCAR has been in the mainstream media. When was the last time NASCAR took away a win? Cmon history buffs, when? Thats my point, why bring this up now, its not new, it hasnt changed and as long as NASCAR hides behind "Actions detrimental to stock car racing" they can and will enforce what they want and when they want and to whom they want. The rest of us have figured this out, so why is it a big issue now? Oh right, back where we started, because its Kyle Bush.

You both missed MY point, this has been going on for as long as NASCAR has been in the mainstream media. When was the last time NASCAR took away a win? Cmon history buffs, when? Thats my point, why bring this up now, its not new, it hasnt changed and as long as NASCAR hides behind "Actions detrimental to stock car racing" they can and will enforce what they want and when they want and to whom they want. The rest of us have figured this out, so why is it a big issue now? Oh right, back where we started, because its Kyle Bush.

I really am not trying to be a smart--- here. What are you complaining about?

From the article: "Busch gets to keep the win, so hes still the winner of Saturdays race. But the win isnt eligible to be used for bonus points by his No. 18 in the owners points playoff in the Xfinity Series. His crew chief Scott Graves has also been suspended for a race and fined $10,000."

Nobody is saying he shouldn't/didn't keep the win. I think we were pointing out NASCAR's improper use of a word to describe the win.

"Kyle Busch won Saturdays Xfinity race but his car was too low in the front after the race. The inspection failure means Buschs win is encumbered, the first time the word has been used in practical application since it entered NASCAR lexicon."

By definition, the win wasn't encumbered. If anything, the teams championship hopes have been encumbered by a penalty based on the car being too low in a race he won.

You're right, I did miss it; my apologies.

I really am not try to be a smart--- here. What are you complaining about?

From the article: "Busch gets to keep the win, so hes still the winner of Saturdays race. But the win isnt eligible to be used for bonus points by his No. 18 in the owners points playoff in the Xfinity Series. His crew chief Scott Graves has also been suspended for a race and fined $10,000."

I think we were pointing out NASCAR's improper use of a word to describe the win.

By definition, the win wasn't encumbered. If anything, the teams championship hopes have been encumbered by a penalty based on the car being too low in a race he won.

To your point, you nailed it. NASCAR has totally botched this by calling it such.

• 2 weeks later...

My question is these cars all passed prerace inspection, and if I'm not mistaken they go through prerace tech and then roll from there straight to grid on pit row. So if the cars passed prerace why is there an issue now in post race. Kind of like what happened to us one night at HMP running TSRS. The carburetor had been on the car all season the only time it had came off was to get checked. We passed all the tech we ever had with that carb and then one night at HMP it fails all of a sudden. We argued that that carb had been inspected multiple times and passed. We went to a race a couple weeks later carb was teched again and it passed, same carb that had been on the car all year.

Interesting definition for the word "encumber" After reading Reb"s British definition and 40 years pestering every promoter at every track while twisting the arms of anyone interested I came up with an example to use the word with.

Trying to bring into the world of local oval track racing the modern generation with the modern car known as the "fast and furious" generation has been an "encumbered"

effort.

Its just crazy to me that so much talk goes on about how to fill the pits and stands does not include the largest overlooked group of car enthusiast in America today. In the past and currently up north the 4 cyl racer is a definite part of the show bring their own drivers ,pit crews, mechanics and fans that otherwise would be at the drag strip or street racing. Education and promotion would be an avenue to get a lot of todays car people off the streets and into the track just like what was done in the 50s to get kids off the street racing into the drag strip.

Todays younger generation is into electronic devices and so are automobiles. I read a lot of forums from Sport Compact racers and they understand every electronic device of the car. Things like how to disarm a security device or bump up a RPM limiter. I read about failure of cam sensors, map sensors, air flow meters and some things I don't even know about. These guys are very smart and the information is shared openly. They are not running to the race shop to buy speed and possibly that's the source of the unpopularity. What they are doing is learning how to interchange parts from different models to enhance performance. Example : Using Dodge Caravan RR hubs on Chevys to avoid breakage. Did you know that ? Or what trans works best for gear ratio or what head on what engine makes the most power. A lot of talk about throttle bodies and intakes. In other words these guys are very knowledgeable and are great mechanics. For the most part they are not interested in how to build a monster Chevy V8 with race car shop parts.

I hear so much about how nobody cares about mini stocks, Sport Compacts, Thunder Cars or whatever name chosen but the comments are always from the V8 crowd. Not knocking them, they are the feature show everywhere. But in todays world you only have a limited population that can even invest time and resources in oval track racing. Omitting this segment is not rational to me. There will never be a bunch of new racers coming from nowhere to build late models or modifieds or even pure stocks. Its like fishing, throwing the line a long distance even when the good fish are under the boat. But the F&F crowd usually are club types and seldom travel alone.

Im too old now to make a difference but someday I hope to see Sport Compacts become as popular as stock cars of the 60s and 70s. Like the Honda racer that just won $12.000 in February In Georgia and another $5.000 in March in South Carolina with a factory built Honda. You will not read about him in any racing book because like the publishers tell me its all about who advertises in their magazine.

We don't have to choose one type of race car over another in my opinion there's room for both. One day a really smart promoter will see this. Its always difficult to think out of the box. Just remember Sport Compact racing IS exactly like racing was in the "good old days" before everybody went to the race shops to buy parts. Grab a current model car and build it out of the junkyard. Only now you have to be pretty smart, not wealthy. BTW a good car like a top "Sport Compact Dirt Racing Association" entry is probably as fast as one of those "good old days" cars. Thank the factory for that !

Archived