purse

Are we there to race or put on a show ? Were there to put on a show for the track ,do they charge the band or other employees a registration fee ? Racers don't bring enough money to off set the purse so it should be up to the track and racers to look for other ways to bring funds !

This is a tuff problem for tracks and racers .

When I was active I personally could care less about the purse..... I just wanted to race. Alot of the time if the payout matched what you spent to enter, you were golden! EVERYONE is going to spend more than they make to race, unless you are in that rarefied air of the 1% of our sport. In 2011 for example I raced all year, finished 6th in points, and ONLY lost $300. I considered THAT a win. You cannot count on the track to subsidize your racing, it is up to YOU to either finance yourself or work your ass off to develop relationships with sponsors. I think its great that STS is even opening this year, considering that looked in doubt for awhile (at least to me) and I'll be in the stands as much as possible to support the track, and thereby the racers, as much as I can. Sorry for the rant, but I honestly believe that negative social media has done more to hurt our sport than any thing else since its inception

Steven

Thank you all for your comments. I will assure you, we as a team look over pay and fees very hard. We know every driver wants more money and we would like to give them that. However there is only so much money to go around. The costs to own a race track are more than many will ever know. No track in South Texas as found the right combination to become a truly successful track. So every year we adjust. We learn from the year before and we try and do better. I am just a average race car driver trying to keep this sport alive in South Texas. Nothing more. I spend way more as a owner then a driver I assure you.

Every driver is important, However we need to find a way to compete with the many other options fans have these days. In the early years of dirt racing people could not easily see the racing like they do now. Wrecks were not televised on many different stations. ESPN, Speed and many others were not even close to being what they are today. Spectators need more to keep them coming back then ever before.

We are a DRAMA nation. It seems we need DRAMA to get high these days. Look at the many reality shows. I could probably fill the stands with more spectators if the top drivers would mud wrestle and demean each other rather than actually race.

This sport is the most challenging sport there is. Every one of you have an opinion. I hear them all. I know STS, CC speedway, etc are not the same as they used to be. They never will. We have to adapt to changing conditions.

What we do know is there are some key's to success.

1. Drivers and crews must be positive about the sport. Watch what they say on Facebook etc.

2. A track must find ways to make money outside racing

3. A track must find ways to keep spectators happy and coming back.

4. A track must make money first. If a track does not turn a profit it will always fall.

5. Sponsors are the only way to stay open.

Thank you all for your support. We need it and we cherish it.

Ken Hobbs

Well put Nick, and well put Ken. Keep up the good work, your doing good Ken. Support all tracks racers and fans, because you never know How long we will get to-do something we love more than life.

Archived