purse

I don't know how many saw the payout for 1973. but today with inflation it would be 800 to win now. so to me emods payout needs to be looked at. here is what I think. if 250 is top pay.

1. 250

2. 200

3. 150

4. 100

5. 85

6. 70

7. 50

8. 40

9. 40

rest 40

I know its going to make some mad but a lot of people agree. they just wont say anything.

Not totally disagreeing but inflation for operating a track is probably at a higher rate. I mean in 1973 gas was around 29 cents per gal and a Whataburger around 59 cents. Personally I think E-Mod should be closer to Pure Stock say 275 to win.

yep $4.00 worth of gas in 73 in my 67 gto lasted bout three days depending on the pedal pusher .and he was hard on that pedal loved that 389 .Whataburger tasted like is should and the smell a mile away brought you over , a big mac meal came with a herb albert 45 ..oh sorry the purse was the subject here . jj has a point and so do you old man .one point the cars cost more and some of the blame lies with the owners of those cars ..and sometimes the track in making rules they seem to like .so goes both ways

I'm sure Ken would not turn anyone away that wanted to add to the purse on a weekly basis, wether it be a business or individual adding something dedicated to the class, keep in mind several businesses have have already stepped up by garuanteeing a points fund for the class, no other track in south Texas has a garuanteed points fund to my knowledge.

Points fund is awesome but making every race to be eligible is a long shot due to fact that we schedule vacation im in July every year so I know is at least miss one. I was hoping to run for points for 1st time ever but o well just race for fun like usual!!!

Everyone has an opinion about purses and I have no problem discussing purses in a positive manner on here as long as it doesn't become a bitch session. Complaining about the purse structure at any given track is always better handled in private with the folks paying the purse rather than getting on social media to point out the unfairness of it all.

Frankly, in coming days I think we will see a trend towards promoters not paying purses at the "hobby level" of the sport, or, at best, holding the line of the purse structure. It all boils down to this: The owner/promoter has to keep the bottom line black instead of red if the track is going to remain a track instead of being transformed into a housing project or hay field or a Walmart.

Nick

Points fund is awesome but making every race to be eligible is a long shot due to fact that we schedule vacation im in July every year so I know is at least miss one. I was hoping to run for points for 1st time ever but o well just race for fun like usual!!!

If you can't make every race you are also eligible if you are top 6 in points when the chase starts. I believe that's how that works.

If you can't make every race you are also eligible if you are top 6 in points when the chase starts. I believe that's how that works.

Cool...ill have to re-read rules! Thanks

Several of us in Corpus Christi came together as sponsors and pitched in to have a points fund. Each of us made a great contribution to assist STS this season and spread some money around to the racers in our hometown. I'm sorry to read some negativity about the payout structure but I suppose some people are never happy.

it would go a long ways for those drivers that show up by themselves to have a friend tag along. Im sure you could use the extra help and track could use the extra pit pass. Look around sometime, alot of drivers come by themselves and no matter what the track has lost money when it comes to drivers that do that.

Anyone who raced at cc back in the late 80s and early 90s remember moon shine car wax .. snapp on tools free car wash free oil change .and trophies from sponsors like donut award for someone doing something crazy during a race or a trophy for who improved the most during that nights show or over a period of races driver of the week ... why have we not done that over the years . I will talk to my district manager to see if the company will join in to something like that again ..those stickers on nascar and others means a sponsor is paying for your spot in one shape or form .moon shine paid 25 dallors to the winner of his feature that night as long as he has moon shine sticker was on the car 23 cars in that class had the sticker and 17 other winners took that home .just a tiny little sticker on all the cars brought that money from that sponsor . I will tell you that 25 dollars and that 100.00 set of tools I won in my feature win along with that free car wash meant more to me than the 150.00 purse the track paid . I AM SURE YOU COULD FIGURE WHY It MEANT SO MUCH .. so any sponsor who steps up to help a car ,track , or class will always have my graditude.. if you think bout it I just remembered the sponsors from a long time ago . ever lasting memory sponsors .

Checked TPS and I-37 payouts on Sportmods and Pure Stocks. Generally speaking STS pays more to win ($75 more than I-37 for PS) and TRP higher for 2-11 ($50-$20 for 2-6 PS).IH-37 also has a $5 per car passed bonus for the feature winner. Now the BIG thing I saw on STS payout is they pay full purse for only 8 cars starting, far better than24 last year!

I don't know how many saw the payout for 1973. but today with inflation it would be 800 to win now. so to me emods payout needs to be looked at. here is what I think. if 250 is top pay.

1. 250

2. 200

3. 150

4. 100

5. 85

6. 70

7. 50

8. 40

9. 40

rest 40

I know its going to make some mad but a lot of people agree. they just wont say anything.

That might be the worst reasoning ever. Did you check on the specific inflation rate for property, liability insurance, taxes, electricity, building materials, fuel for maintenance vehicles or items specific to owning a race track? Did you research the competition for the dollar in 1973 versus today? Tracks are closing left and right. Do you think it is because the promoters are making so much money they are having to quit to spend it all? Lots of tracks available for purchase or lease. There is a reason for it.

I would say this needs to move to another forum, there are a lot of tracks for lease, and a lot of cars in the weeds, or in the garage on jack stands.

Yes, sir. There are lots of cars in the weeds and or sitting on jack stands somewhere.

And tracks have closed all over Texas and nationwide.

While it is true that every now and then, someone with a lot of energy and a true love or racing will open one of those closed tracks back up and it's good for a while. But it doesn't take too many years of losing money and facing constant complaints before the track owner's enthusiasm becomes discouragement and that track sits idle once again. We've witnessed this scenario several times over around here.

The simple fact is that tracks need to make a profit to survive.

But, for a number of reasons, the source of the money that drives the sport at our level is not finding its way into the system. Fans are discovering other things to do on Saturday night and sponsors see little value to spending a lot of money so a couple hundred folks might to see their name on the back straight wall. Frankly, getting on Facebook for next to nothing gives a far greater return on their investment.

And putting a stock car together these days takes far more than slapping in a roll cage, finding a big cam somewhere and installing a Hurst shifter and a set of headers. It's a very expensive proposition. Just the cost of state-of-the-art safety equipment is staggering.

Something needs to change.

One of the possible solutions involves changing our grassroots stock car racing from an "entertainment industry" to a "hobby."

When I go golfing, I pay the course owner a pretty sizable fee to enjoy my hobby. I expect no purse, no tow money, no points fund, and no one sponsors me except the wife's grocery money. But at the upper levels of the sport - the PGA Tour - fans will gladly spend a pile to watch me play golf, and golf companies beg me to use their products for free and folks want my autograph. But I doubt I'll ever make it to the PGA Tour, so, I gladly pay thousands to join the country club or pay hefty green fees to enjoy my hobby.

Same thing with fishing, or tennis, or hunting or skiing or any other hobby. At the grassroots level, participants pay their way and don't receive compensation except the joy of participating. And I don't believe that many of our local racers have any real expectation of making a living racing stock cars. It's a nice dream, but reality is real.

Bottom line here is that we, as hobbyists, may have to fund our hobby at some point in the future. Or participate at the national or international level. Or find a new hobby.

Nick

Come on Nick those don't compare bc you don't have anyone tearing up your equipment...lol...but then again when loose a golf ball or lure or pole breaks guess that's comparable lol!!!

That's the great equalizer in this sport/hobby!!!

To me a purse is an added bonus.

1. 250

2. 200

3. 150

4. 100

5. 85

6. 70

7. 50

8. 40

9. 40

rest 40

What if i told you that maybe you did it to yourself? Just some info for you to think about. I supported the E-Mod Class since its beginning up until 2 years ago I believe. I sporadically donated extra purse money to the class, and not always to the winner. In fact very rarely to the winner, it was normally done by a draw system. The track put numbers in a hat and a number was drawn, if they drew a 5, then fifth place got the extra money. Also money was donated to the purse at Goliad, you remember that race don't you? "The Inaugural E-Mod Demolition Derby".

I believed in the E-Mod Class and supported that class more than anyone else, only to get sick and tired of all the Whining and Crying that seemed to come along with it. In fact i got so tired of it i pulled 2 of my own cars out of the class.

The point I am trying to make here is this, if a person continually talks down about there local track and continually battles the progress that is trying to be made. Maybe they should look at some different avenues. Or maybe, just maybe, they could Step Up and reach into there own pocket and add some money to the purse.

What if I as a sponsor decided that after reading all this negativity, that maybe I did not want to participate any more? I looked up and down the Sponsor List, I NEVER SAW YOUR NAME ON IT.

Make a difference, Support your local track in a Positive way. Not a Negative way.

Just a Thought........................................................

James Parks

Pro Line Fabrication

Lets not forget the big payout race to E-Mods last year. One thing that can be done,and has been done, is donating to a finish position( an Owen idea).Say E-Mods 1-18. $20 can be donated to 5th place,$50 for 18th whatever amount until all spots are filled. The person or company can have their name known if they want.Then that race night everyone gets a little bonus on top of the purse. We did this at CCS for the bombers and it worked out well as I remember and Owen did it at STS before that. All that is needed is someone to collect and distribute.And permission from the track. Just an idea.

Archived