• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for adding these pictures Ron. Keeps me out of rehab for a while. It's very interesting to me to see this old program. It's always interesting to see any pictures you post.

I also have the original patterns my Mom used to make my Dad's and Ricky Rapp's tee shirts. She made them for the crew members and for kids who were fans of my Dad and Ricky. I'll get down there to Mom's and take pictures of these items as soon as I can.

I never did play baseball. I played little league football 2 years, 4th and 5th grades and I believe it was the C.C. Little League Football but I'll have to dig up some old photos to be sure of the name of the League. When I was in the 4th grade, the team that I played on was sponsored by Corpus Christi Bank and Trust, we were the Falcons, the 5th grade team that I played on was sponsored by Nolans, we were the Cowboys. We left practice one day to go the mall there in Corpus and waited in line to get Mike Ditka's autograph. I had blood all over my face and jersey as I had received a bloody nose while tackling just before we were told to load up and go to the mall. This would have been 1973 my 4th grade year (Falcons) and 1974 my 5th grade year (Cowboys). Then I played for the Flour Bluff Hornets (football and track) as I was enrolled in Flour Bluff Jr. High School. We had a pretty awesome 440 yard relay team. Willy Wiggins, Jerry Philips, Valtimore Garcia, and me running the final leg. My Mom worked at Bodine - Scott (the heating and air conditioning business) and it was tough for her to get off work, drive all the way to the Bluff, pick me up and drive me back into C.C. for football practice, but she did it.

Thanks Radical. I have some pictures of the patterns that my Mom used to make my Dad's and Ricky Rapp's tee shirts, and for any one else who was a fan. I'll post those later, gotta go feed my dogs and do some things first.

Here are the Tee shirt patterns for the making of my Dad's and Ricky Rapp's tee shirts. The patterns are actually made in reverse image so that they can be transferred onto the shirt and the numbers etc. will then have the correct orientation.

post-16956-0-19389400-1492650324_thumb.jpg

post-16956-0-67311400-1492650328_thumb.jpg

post-16956-0-29530900-1492650333_thumb.jpg

post-16956-0-73348800-1492650337_thumb.jpg

post-16956-0-93485600-1492650344_thumb.jpg

post-16956-0-16603700-1492650349_thumb.jpg

post-16956-0-52037300-1492650354_thumb.jpg

post-16956-0-96167400-1492650358_thumb.jpg

post-16956-0-47467100-1492650363_thumb.jpg

post-16956-0-18820000-1492650369_thumb.jpg

Here's a recent story involving Ricky Rapp. About 3 years ago, a coworker of mine had a riding lawn mower that would not crank and run. It was like new, but a few years old. He told me that I could have if it I came and got it. So, I headed out to his house with my trailer and had full intention of stopping by Mom and Dads house on my way home to visit because Ricky had came by to visit and stay a few days. I pulled in with the lawn mower on the trailer and my Dad and Ricky were already outside looking at my Dad's R/C airplanes. Ricky asked me "whatcha got there Ronnie Ruint?" I told him "a lawn mower with a motor that will not crank". He said "let's go take a look at it, it looks brand new, how old is it?". I told him that I didn't have any idea of the age, but that the motor turns over freely with no compression.....he said "Have you pulled the dipstick and checked for any oil?" I said no, I know it doesn't have any oil in it, because the pistons aren't moving and I believe the rods are broke. He pulled the dipstick and it was bone dry. He said, let me know what you find when you dig into it. I did tear it down and it was 2 broke rods. The rods were aluminum and had started melting into the crank shaft journals. Once enough friction happened, the rods broke. I replaced the head gaskets, the rods, and of course flushed the crank case and entire block and then reassembled. I had a total of $177.00 in parts and 40 hours of labor and it's still running. I talked to Ricky about what I found and he just laughed and said, you got a killer deal on that mower. Also, I talked to him several times after my dad passed away. The last time that I talked to him was about 3 weeks before he died. He told me to promise him that I would take care of my Mom, and I promised him sincerely that I would, and I am. He had a nick name for everyone, he called my Mom "Brush" because she painted the numbers, sponsors, pit crew, and other things on my Dad's racecars. I will say this, when I last talked to Ricky, we laughed a lot and he sounded really good. I miss him.

well if rick did not have that purple 99 in 1984 .we would most likely not have started racing . took my girlfriend out to see the races for her first trip she saw rick pull out of the pits and wham ...hook line and sinker ....purple is her color .... was a fan of ricks from the start .even as he and labonte were fighting ...no one could take junk and win races like rick could .

Great story about Rick. The mechanic I had for my racecar was just as smart. He could diagnosis anything just by the sound or sight. By the way, I really liked the looks of that '57 Chevrolet. That was my first car when I got my drivers license at 16 years old. I drove it for 3 weeks to the day after I got my license. I was going to work after school and was driving down a dirt road in North Carolina to get to the gas station. As I came to a curve a friggin pine tree jumped from the ditch to the middle of the road and hit my car. If I would have had an ax at the time that tree would have come down.

You know 57 chevy did not bend easy .. my brother and I along with a crew member were heading back from our shift on a drilling rig in a 55 chevy pick her up pulled into a quick stop for a coke with truck in motion while leaving two fine looking chickydo. took a liking to our eye balls .that's all six eye balls hate that when it happens I screamed ladies don't look at our eyes .it was tooooo late darn pole jumped right out in front and center of that 55 .seems with all eyes balls looking out the back window truck must have been looking as well we sort of bent the center of the hood right there on that latch and worst case the horn hung into full blow ..had to reach from underneath and cut the horn wire ,we tried to hide not wanting to show our red faces with those two ladies laughing and saying that's what you get ..the year 1976 and still to this day that pole is still standing but just a tad lean from that night ..brothers wife had a hard time believing brothers story or was it a lie ...

• 2 months later...

Archived