• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes sir Mr. Holt. And this newspaper article about Billy Hardcastle going over the wall to me is legendary. I was there that night. I was there the night Bruce Sholars rode the top of that wall as well. I've been looking for something regarding the guy with the blue dune buggy that had some weights attached to the back of it and he would do wheelies during the intermission, but so far, I haven't found anything on that except my memory lol

Also, do you remember who drove the yellow and white #777 with the headers upside down ? was it Slick Yoemans? Tom Partridge?

I was there when bill flew over turn three and four wall and cleared the tree landing on what was in the back yard of carlocks house I think breaking the car darn near in two and hurting his back .I did not get the chance to go over there and get a look I was working the pit gate but I did see him flying that scary sound of throttle stuck the hit and the landing ..I am trying to remember that guys name with the buggy ..was his first name mike ...

don yokum 3 flips made everyone lose their breath first time seeing a car flip that many times on this short track was something think tires got together ..they had to cut him out roll cage or something of the sort pinned him in don jr would have a better answer than I .....

I was in the stands when Billy went over. If I remember right it was early in the evening and very few people were in the stands. That motor was revving until it hit the ground, very surreal sound that I remember to this day.

Yes sir arob. That is the way I remember it also. I too was in the stands. We used to sit at the top row or maybe just 3 rows down from the top against the pit side of the stands. There was a guy there every Saturday night with real bushy black hair, he never seemed to miss a Satuday night, anyways, one night he had a seizure. We were just above him when he had his seizure. He used to slowly get drunk as the night went on hehe.

yes arob it was early . had my back turned away from the track and knew something was up when the clock between your ears tells you he should have already let off the throttle that's what made me turn and look ..I could not see the hit or landing from the pit box but I did see a car with no wings screaming above the wall with four landing gears with tires that were not going to help his landing .. were there with johnny whites flight over turn one johnny white did not fly as high .

It seems like from what I remember about Billy going over the wall, there were some chicken coups or some other kind of animals there that Billy's car just missed. I didn't go over there but I just remember some of the people assisting with the accident talking about it. Sambo, that rings a bell, I think you may be correct on that sir.

Sambo sadly was the town drunk as you called them back then saturdays he spent his nights at the track if he wasn't over at leopard lounge I think melton would give him a ride sambo never bought one drink but never had an empty hand every one bought him his drinks .I never did though he and I were friends he always came up to you asking if you would buy him a beer I would laugh at him saying sambo you have three in your hands now not opened . he was born a little off and could not work but was one of the nicest guys you could ever know and I have not thought of him for over 40 plus years till you brought it up many a times I gave him a ride home . he drowned in bed one night .to much to drink we missed him not being there . ..I think billy landed on a pipe gate of fence something of the sort heard a piece of the pipe came through the floor board just behind his seat way to close ...

you are making me think too hard .lol

Great information about Sambo. I remember some of what you are saying about him being a really nice guy, I never once thought of him other than very, very nice guy that never started any trouble. I remember standing in line to use the restroom one night and he came walking up, he got behind me in line and I said, "you go ahead" and stepped aside to let him go before me, and he said "are you sure?" and I replied "yes sir", he grinned and said "thanks kiddo". I knew that he was special. So many people would miss him when he wasn't there, to see him stand up (awkwardly I must admit) and cheer a driver on really showed his passion for the sport. Most of the people that know me are always astounded by my ability to remember things. I can remember seeing Henry Perry's wife, daughter and small son just like it was yesterday, and I never even spoke to them or knew their names lol

I remember Henry Perry's car and trailer coming unhitched from the tow truck right there at the "tee" when you left the racetrack, (if you turned left coming out of the race track onto the hard top road, you would come to a "tee" just down the road) and going over the chain link fence, and they couldn't get in to get their car until Monday because the business was closed on the weekends lol

LOL Radical. Sorry about that. We've had a water leak under the slab and had to get a jackhammer and make little pieces out of big pieces of concrete to get down to the pipe. Luckily, using a thermo-gun, I located a "hot" spot (it was a hot water pipe) in a closet and that's where the busting of concrete began. The busted pipe was where the hot spot was so that saved a lot of time getting the leak fixed. I'll post some more as soon as I can. I've got a lot going on right now as it's getting just about time to plow the garden and I made some motor mounts for my tiller as I upgraded the engine. I got to get that thing up and digging dirt to get this soil turned. But, I will share something in regards to C.C. Speedway history. My dad, (Pete Peterman) was leading the points and had clinched a week before the last race of the season, and Bruce Sholars was 2nd in the points. Bruce was very closely followed by someone, in which I can't remember if it was Hardcastle, Rollins, Mikulencak or etc...but Bruce blew his engine in his pink and black number #82, 67 Chevelle just one week out from the final race. My dad loaned Bruce his turquoise and white #06, 67 Chevelle to race for the last week. Bruce did great with the car that last race and he told my dad that he had never driven a race car that was as smooth and precise as my dad's. I always felt like that was a great compliment to the standard in which my dad held himself to.....and caused me some butt whippings growing up because I took short cuts and did some "half-ass" stuff to get by due to lack of knowledge or lack of patience lol

HERE in south texas we no comprendi how you could forsake us for what .A water leak . no notta not going to happen again right .. we may have to send you a warning gift . .... A piñata texas favorite... just loaded with

roaches ,piss ants .red ants fire ants sugar ants a few uncles and ants whom I don't like .along with sage brush . black brush a couple of rattle snakes. ripe freshly dropped cow patties yummy . some fresh peyote watch out for the thorns and any other darn thing we can find .........

Ah , the Bu-Ru Special . That car spent some time in my dads garage for a season or two. Bruce was a super nice guy and a good driver. I was the parts cleaner and whatever else they could trust a 13 year old with.Will never forget the race car that was built from scratch to completion in 42 hours in that driveway.The original car went over the turn 3 wall on Sat night and was totaled.While the search went on for another 57 Chevy at A Square Deal , Broken Drum and Ace on Sunday we were busy taking all the useful stuff off the .old car. The new car arrived late Sunday afternoon and my job was to strip the interior . Ugh!! Car went to be welded up with cage etc Mon morning (Labor Day) returned in the afternoon and ready and on way to track to compete in the Labor Day 100 Lap Feature by 6 PM. I think it came in a close 2nd to Don Fowler from San Antonio that night.

LOL HiTech !

arob, if I remember the turn 3 wreck correctly, the car rode on top of that wall a little ways....80 to 100 feet ?

and I also remember being amazed at how fast he was back out there with a new car.

NickHolt, you may be on to something there lol

Thanks Radical, I sure do appreciate that! It's been full steam ahead here for about 3 weeks.

Nick with a capital letter just for you ..once you eat or drink peyote funny and strange things can and will happen ... I did not need peyote to get one heck of a laugh out of your post .neither did the wife who blurted out a large laugh ...now I need to keep up my persona here .you know it drives folks crazy ...

ronster,yes it did. The car tetered there until Freddie Barnec hit the wall and sent it over.

Yeah, that's the way that I remember it, except I couldn't remember who made impact and sent it over. Do you remember who it was ran the yellow and white Dodge or Plymouth? it was number 777.....the name Partridge keeps popping in my mind.... Tom Partridge?

Archived