Shady Oaks Speedway hits another milestone

NickHolt

Shady Oaks Speedway hits another milestone

GOLIAD - The No. 12 on the sides of Cody Leonard's black and white modified car quickly flashed by the crowd as it loudly roared one last time on the track.

post-3-0-56472900-1487821341_thumb.jpg

Cody Leonard races his modified car during a United States Modified Touring Series event at Shady Oaks Speedway. Angela Piazza for The Victoria Advocate

The three-day United States Modified Touring Series that ended Saturday was the last Shady Oaks Speedway race operated by the Stacy family, the previous owners of the track.

The business at 2185 Farm-to-Market Road 622 will temporarily close as the current owner searches for someone else interested in leasing the track.

"It's one of my favorite tracks," said Leonard, 19, who has been a regular racer at Shady Oaks for the past three years. "The pits, walking in and seeing trees everywhere, the hospitality from the owners - it was different from any other track."

Leonard said he was shocked when he heard the news the Stacy family was stepping away from the track because he thought Shady Oaks was doing great. However, the Stacy family decided it was time to retire.

Rosemary Stacy, 69, and her husband Bobby Stacy, 74, sold the track in 2015 but kept operating the events because of their love for racing.

"In one way it is sad, but in another way it's a good thing," Rosemary said. "We were there every day repairing or replacing things around the track; it was a lot of work, and we can't handle the workload."

The track scheduled weekly races, hosted special events and would bring in national touring series.

Stacy said they would also give the track a family- friendly atmosphere with foot races and other events for kids to enjoy.

Daniel Wells, 33, of Yorktown, has been going to Shady Oaks since he was 5 years old and started bringing his 9-year-old son, Branden. Wells said that while they did not know the drivers, they would always pick a number during a race and compete with each other to see which car would win. Wells said when he heard the track would close indefinitely, he appreciated his experience even more on Friday.

"I love it when the track burns, and you can feel it in the air," he said. "I wish we could do something to keep it going; now we're going to have to drive all the way to Edna."

Stacy said the owner plans to keep the track and replace the perimeter fencing.

"The hope is that one day someone will want to reopen the track," she said.

Shady Oaks Speedway is owned by Jodlaur LLC, according to Secretary of State records. Laurie Hajdik identified herself as one of the owners Tuesday, but she declined to talk about her plans for the speedway.

Throughout the three-day event, racing fans approached and hugged members of the Stacy family and talked about how much fun they had at the track.

Drivers such as Leonard said the Stacys always made everyone feel welcome.

Rosemary Stacy said it was a great weekend of racing and a great way to end their time at the track.

"The Stacy Family wants all racers, fans, sponsors and staff to know how much we enjoyed our years at Shady Oaks Speedway," she said. "We thank you all and will see you at the other area tracks."

I can say the most enjoyable night I had sitting in the stands with my wife and friends watching a great show put on by all ...I don't say that often about any race track I have attended usually don't get to watch that many races working in the pits most of the time.. I only stood up a couple times to shake a leg and watched every single lap from start to finish I really can not remember the last time that happened maybe in 1983 when I took my then girlfriend aka wife to cc for the first time .....hats off ...

Shady Oaks was probably my favorite track I visited when I was in Texas. Pulling in there the first time reminded me of a few tracks back "home" with the big parking area, trees and people tailgating. It was a great atmosphere.

Hopefully it will stay open.

Archived