Dillard, Jennings, Beaver close the book on Shady Oaks Speedway

USMTS @ Shady Oaks Speedway, 2/16-18/17
By JM Hallas

"The Last Lap at Shady Oaks"

Goliad, TX.,(Feb. 18th, 2017) Much like the closing of an off-Broadway play, it's a sad night as racing concludes on Shady Oaks Speedway for the Stacy family. Unlike some off season closures, for this one, everyone there knew it might be their last chance to see racing action on the 31 year old speedway set amongst the scenic oak trees, that separated this track for many others.

So far in this weekends USMTS action, Ricky Thornton jr. scored the victory Thursday night going wire to wire. On Friday night it was Jason Hughes grabbing the win after Thornton and Chris Brown tangled while battling for the lead. Tonight's USMTS winner heads off to Mississippi next weekend with additional $4,000 in his pocket for picking up the victory.

In Limited Modifieds, Shane Hoefling made a late pass on Edward Oakes for the win in Thursday nights feature. Vince Louden, took over on lap 5 and had the field covered to snag the Friday night checkers. Saturdays Limited Modified pay jumps up to $600 for the winner. The Friday Pure Stock winner was Joseph Snow as they again battle for $500 to win.

Dillard Dashes to USMTS Dollars
Cade Dillard(Robelinne, La.) used patience while battling with Travis Saurer for the lead early in the 40-lap USMTS, $4,000 to win main event. Just past halfway Dillard made his move to get the top spot. Once out front, Dillard had to hold off a challenge from Ryan Gustin and Rodney SAnders, who came from mid-pack. Dillard was then able to motor away from the field and take the checkers with a big margin.

Before the race even started points contender, Stormy Scott was sidelined after a fluid leak was discovered during the parade laps. So 23-cars started the big 40-lapper with Saurer first off turn 2 but it was Johnny Scott getting the lead on lap 1. Saurer fell in line with Dillard, Logan Robertson and Trevor Egbert in the top five.

Saurer fought back getting along side J. Scott on lap 1 and got the nose out front on lap 2. That duo continued wheel to wheel with Dillard looking for an opening. T. Egbert got along side Robertson with Gustin and Zack VanderBeek looking to go four wide. Back up front the lead duo were still tied at the door bars with J. Scott getting the advantage on lap 4.

Saurer finally secured the top spot on lap 5 with the top three nose to tail and Gustin side by side with VanderBeek for fifth. This left Robertson three wide with Ricky Thornton jr. and Rodney Sanders. Dillard was able to grab second from J. Scott on lap 8 while Gustin and Vanderbeek slugged it out. Gustin finally shook VanderBeek and then passed T. Egbert for fourth.

Dillard caught Saurer on lap 10 and gave him a look only to loose some ground on lap 14. VanderBeek was able to get fifth from T. Egbert on lap 15 while a pair of 20's, Thornton and Sanders, battled for seventh. Gustin took third from J. Scott on lap 18 while Dillard was now looking high on Saurer for the lead.

At halfway it was Saurer barely holding off Dillard, Gustin, J. Scott and Sanders, who started thirteenth, cracking the top five. As Dillard looked for a space to get by Saurer, Gustin ran them down. Finally Dillard dove low in turn 4 and was able to grab the top spot on lap 23. Gustin then put Saurer back to third while Sanders took fourth from J. Scott.

The races first yellow waved on lap 29 when T. Egbert and Tyler Wolff made contact sending Wolff spinning off turn 3. On the restart Sanders got the nose past Gustin for second with J. Scott taking fourth from Saurer. The yellow was back out quickly when Wolff and GW Egbert tangled in turn 1 for a lap 30 caution.

Back to green Dillard, Gustin and Sanders went three wide into turn 1. Dillard held them off with Gustin retaking second from Sanders. Behind them VanderBeek, Saurer and Thornton were three wide for fifth.Dillard then began to put some distance on the Gustin-Sanders duel with VanderBeek getting fourth from J. Scott.

Dillard kept walking away from the field and as the white flag waved, was two seconds ahead. He maintained that advantage taking the checkers in the S&S Fishing & Rental, Production Jars, Joels Auto Sales, Nichols Home Decor, Fox Racing Shox, WAR Racing Shocks,, Moran Trucking, Jodys Oilfield Service, Performance Graphics, Turner Kutrite, Scotty Carnline Electric, Wehrs Machine, The Comeauxs, ASI Powered, MB Customs Chassis.

post-34-0-17574800-1487537972_thumb.jpg

“We've been digging hard,” exclaimed Dillard. “We've been a little off the last few nights. We were trying something different. I was just riding out there tonight for a while. I felt like we had a pretty good car at the end. Sure enough, it worked out for us. I just stayed patient and didn't get myself in a bind and it all worked out.”

“You just have to try to stay smart when you're trailing someone like that for so long. I showed him my nose there that one time and made him move. He took the groove I really wanted so I messed with his head a little.”

“I knew when Ryan(Gustin) and Rodney(Sanders) were behind me late and that they'd both run me clean. They're smart racers. I knew Rodney must have been good coming from deep in the field. When you're out front you're kind of a sitting duck to know what line is going. I moved around(the track), found where I was best and stuck with it.”

“I didn't know how far I had pulled away. Every once in a while, if they're really close, you can hear them. I didn't hear anybody. I figured they were probably pretty close. They said after the restart that we put some distance on them.”

USMTS Modifieds
97 Cade Dillard, 19r Ryan Gustin, 20 Rodney Sanders, 33z Zack VanderBeek, 1st Johnny Scott, 20rt Ricky Thornton jr., 12 Jason Hughes, 1s Travis Saurer, 21 Chris Brown, 4r Dereck Ramirez, 91w RC Whitwell, 34 Mickey Lassiter, 78 Trevor Egbert, 717 GW Egbert IV, 4w Tyler Wolff, 9 Kevin Rutherford, 4v Billy Vogel, 4m Bobby Malchus, 137 Bill Pittaway, 71 Philip Houston, 23 Logan Robertson, 89c Steve Whiteaker jr., 2s Stormy Scott---dntg

USMTS Modified B-mains(Top 5 to A-main)
B-main 1; 20 Rodney Sanders, 4r Dereck Ramirez, 91w RC Whitwell, 71 Philip Houston, 4v Billy Vogel, 23 Adam Kates, 29 Jamie Campbell, 78 Tim Boudreaux, 137 Bill Pittaway

B-main 2; 4w Tyler Wolff, 12 Jason Hughes, 89c Steve Whiteaker jr., 34 Mickey Lassiter, 717 GW Egbert, a1 Phil Egbert, 12L Cody Leonard, 4m Bobby Malchus---dns, 141 Rob Sanderson---dns

USMTS Modified heats(Top 12 in passing points to A-main)
Heat 1; 19r Ryan Gustin, 91 Joe Duvall, 33z Zack VanderBeek, 4w Tyler Wolff, 71 Philip Houston, 12 Jason Hughes, 4v Billy Vogel, 137 Bill Pittaway

Heat 2
97 Cade Dillard, 1st Johnny Scott, 9 Kevin Rutherford, 4r Dereck Ramirez, 34; Mickey Lassiter, 717 GW Egbert IV, 20 Rodney Sanders, a1 Phil Dixon

Heat 3; 78e Trevor Egbert, 20rt Ricky Thornton jr., 2s Stormy Scott, 89c Steve Whiteaker jr., 23 Adam Kates, 78t Tim Boudreaux, 29 Jamie Campbell

Heat 4; 21 Chris Brown, 1s Travis Saurer, 23 Logan Robertson, 91w RC Whitwell, 12L Cody Leonard, 4m Bobby Malchus, 141 Rob Sanderson

Jennings Joins Limited Modified Winners List
Corpus Christi's JJ Jennings has suffered through some mechanical woes early this season. He made six different winners in six night over the two opening weekends. Tonight he was able to get it to the finish and find the Winners Circle.

Jennings grabbed the top spot on lap 6 from Houston-area young gun, Garrett Higgins. From there, Jennings in the G&M Oilfield Services, CD Electric, WW Bodies, Swenson Racing Shocks, Mathieu Electric, raceontexas.com, FDS, PTS powered, Hughes by 89 Motorsports Chassis, snagged the checkers in the 15-lap race shortened due to time limits.

On the initial start Higgins jumped out front with Erik Thorne, Jennings and Tanner Whitmire three wide for second, but Roly Rodriguez went around to bring a complete start. As green waved again, on a race that was shortened from 20 to 15-lap due to numerous yellows, Higgins, again, got out front. Behind him Thorne, Caleb Hudgeons, Jennings, Johnny Torres and Whitmire got sorted out.

Jennings quickly picked off third from Hudgeons with Torres and Whitmire following through. The first of the cautions came on lap 4 when Rodriguez, Thursdays winner, Shane Hoefling and Mickey Helms stacked up. The restart wasn't much better as Hunter Flanagan, Cody Leonard, Hector Aguirre, Marcus Mikulencak and David Schurry piled up in turn 4.

Back to green Jennings was inside Higgins for the lead with Whitmire battling Thorne for third. Jennings secured the point on lap 6 when Whitmire made contact with Thorne, and spun, collecting Hudgeons and Lawrence Mikulencak. Thorne tried a move on Higgins for second back under green, but got loose, falling back into the clutches of Broc Bowen.

At halfway the top five were Jennings, Higgins, Thorne, Bowen and Torres. Flanagan and Tyler Box tangled on lap 10 for a caution. On the restart Thorne, Torres and Bowen were three wide for third. Another short spurt saw Gerald Henderson and Rodriguez get together in turn 4. The restart wasn't much better as Box and Garett Hayes found each other in turn 2

Officials called for a green, white, checker finish that saw Jennings and Higgins get away while Torres and Bowen were side by side for fourth. Jennings had a slight lead on Higgins that he held to the checkers while Leonard snuck past Bowen for fifth at the line.

“This year we've changed something a little different on our shocks,” replied Jennings. “We found something a lit bit better. We used our old standard set up that fits this type of track tonight. This is the best it's run this year. We're finally getting to finish some races. We've had nothing but bad luck this year.”

“We broke the transmission first night out last weekend while running second to Johnny(Torres). The third night the ignition broke in the heat race and then I slung a belt in the B-main and didn't finish. Last night the track was just so sloppy that I didn't to try to race on it and risk tearing something up.”

“I had faith in Higgins running side by side. I've seen him race several times at TMS and in Houston. The guy gets up on the wheel and drives it. He raced me clean. You can't ask for anything better than to race side by side with no torn up quarter panels or anything.”

“I wasn't going to give up the bottom. If someone passed me they were going to have to go on the outside. Honestly, I was waiting for something to break the way this year has been. I saw that Shane(Hoefling) and Lawrence(Mikulencak) were out(of the race). They're two of the biggest threats on this track.”

“I'm surprised that many cars finished with all the yellows we had. I think we had seven or eight. They shortened that race, which leading, really didn't bother me at all.”

Limited Modifieds
26g JJ Jennings, 75m Garrett Higgins, 260 Erik Thorne, 66 Johnny Torres, 12 Cody Leonard, 56 Broc Bowen, 6 Vince Louden, 58c Hunter Flanagan, 03 Marcus Mikulencak, 174 Micky Helms, 55 Rusty Head, 38 David Schurry, 101 Tanner Whitmire, 10 Caleb Hudgeons, 25 Tyler Box, 55g Gerald Henderson, 161 Hector Aguirre, 9* Garett Hayes, 12r Roly Rodriguez, 87 Lawrence Mikulencak, 90k Dustin Butcher, 63 Shane Hoefling

Limited Modifieds B-main(Top 4 to A-main)
87 Lawrence Mikulencak, 63 Shane Hoefling, 55 Rusty Head, 161 Hector Aguirre, 77 Cody Beddoe, 47 James Myers, 10d Don Painter, 33jp James Park, 04 Jacob Burnett, 07 Logan Schunka, 11t Tom Grothues---dns

Limited Modified heats(Top 18 in passing points to A-main)
Heat 1; 75m Garrett Higgins, 101 Tanner Whitmire, 90k Dustin Butcher, 6 Vince Louden, 174 Mickey Helms, 63 Shane Hoefling, 87 Lawrence Mikulencak, 07 Logan Schunka

Heat 2; 66 Johnny Torres, 260 Eric Thorne, 25 Tyler Box, 58c Hunter Flanagan, 55g Gerald Henderson, 33jp James Park, 11t Tom Grothues

Heat 3
10 Caleb Hudgeons, 26g JJ Jennings, 12 Cody Leonard, 9* Garett Hayes, 55; Rusty Head, 47 James Myers, 04 Jacob Burnett

Heat 4; 56 Broc Bowen, 12r Roly Rodriguez,03 Marcus Mikulencak, 38 David Schurry, 77 Cody Beddoe, 10d Don Painter, 161 Hector Aguirre

Beaver Best of Pure Stock Bunch
Colt Beaver(Cold Springs) went home with the hardware in the 15-lap Pure Stock feature going wire to wire. After winning his heat also, Beaver started up front and held off an early charge by Jack Kirby. In a race that saw several top contenders fall by the wayside, Beaver then fought off last nights winner Joseph Snow, on a late restart, to score the win and $500 payday.

As the green waved Beaver was first into turn 1, but had Kirby drive up along side going door to door on lap 1 with Chuck Perry, Aaron Leddy and Snow in pursuit. On lap 2 Leddy went around and collected Charles Thomas for a caution. On the restart Perry got by Kirby for second but had something break and got run over as the field scattered to try to miss him.

On the next restart Snow moved up to challenge Kirby for second. Snow got the spot a lap later and was looking inside Beaver for the lead when Kirby spun from third for a lap 6 yellow. Once back to green GW Hessong stayed along side Snow for second with Mason Casteneda and Josh Sewell side by side for fourth. Hessong's march forward ended in a plume of smoke that saw Nathan Corpus spin in the fluid left behind.

Casteneda and Brice Baros made contact on the restart sending Baros through the infield without losing a spot. With Beaver inching away, Snow and Sewell were door to door for second with Baros and Casteneda rounding out the top five at halfway. As Beaver took the white flag Daniel Preston and Thomas spun in turns 3-4 forcing a caution.

On the green, white, checker restart Beaver got out to a slight margin while Snow and Baros ran side by side for second. This gave Beaver some breathing room on the final lap as he finished the nightly sweep taking the checkers by a couple car lengths over Snow who fought off Baros for the runner-up spot.

Pure Stocks
20 Colt Beaver, 01 Joseph Snow, 99 Brice Baros, 38 Josh Sewell, 28m Mason Casteneda, 58 Cheyloh Flanagan, 15d James Dear, 7 Jesse Sandoval, 1 Chuck Barber, 9 Johnny Westfall, 51 Daniel Waer, 42 Curtis King, 6 Daniel Preston, 46 Will Roberts, 6c Nathan Corpus, 66t Charles Thomas, 33 Carlton Albrecht, 93 Aaron Leddy, 02 Shannon Maurer, 32 GW Hessong, 7k Jack Kirby, 121 Chuck Perry

Pure Stock B-main(Top 4 to A-main)
33 Carlton Albrecht, 6c Nathan Corpus, 6 Daniel Preston, 02 Shannon Maurer, 73 John Ramirez, 23 Justin Albrecht, 63j Joe Johnson, 74 Justin Boop, 13 Kris Workman, 75m Cecil McCreary, 8m Joshua McCain, 213 Timothy Smith, 19 Mike Horelka---dns

Pure Stock heats(Top 18 in passing points to the A-main)
Heat 1; 32 GW Hessong, 66t Charles Thomas, 93 Aaron Leddy, 15d James Dear, 42 Curtis King, 02 Shannon Maurer, 74 Justin Boop,19 Mike Horelka

Heat 2; 28m Mason Casteneda, 1 Chuck Barber, 99 Brice Baros,46 Will Robertson, 7 Jesse Sandoval, 6 Daniel Preston, 13 Kris Workman, 75m Cecil McCreary

Heat 3; 38 Josh Sewell, 01 Joseph Snow, 7k Jack Kirby, 51 Daniel Waer, 213 Timothy Smith, 33 Carlton Albrecht, 6c Nathan Corpus, 63j Joe Johnson

Heat 4; 20 Colt Beaver, 121 Chuck Perry, 58 Cheyloh Flanagan, 9 Johnny Westfall, 73 John Ramirez, 23 Justin Albrecht, 8m Joshua McCain

The curtain closes on Shady Oaks Speedway.....

The USMTS Modifieds move east to Mississippi next weekend for a three track swing. It begins Friday(24th) at Jackson Motor Speedway, Saturday(25th) at Whynot Motorsports Park and concludes Sunday(26th) at Greenville Speedway.(All inaugural events) For more info visit www.usmts.com or their facebook page www.facebook.com/usmts

Archived