Where are the asphalt guys going racing this year?

turbotoddie

California, Arizona, Missouri, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, S.Carolina, N.Carolina...etc...etc

The way I see it, if all the asphalt guys convert to dirt, then why would any perspective track operator want to open an asphalt track when no one is left to race it. And before you throw out the "oh it cost too much to travel" whiney excuse, what you spent on 2 shocks could pay your fuel to alabama and back.

I think we brought the super stock out every race but 2 last season maybe 3. I only ran it one time in a race and a few practices, but my wife ran it all the other times.

The 2 races where we had to leave it at home we brought the late model out . So we pretty much ran something the whole season last year.

But we have had a car of some sort on the track every year since about 2010 or so. Hopefully we will have a place to bring them out again soon.

I've been steadily racing asphalt since 1990 and I'm not really interested in racing dirt. I may skin my Super with an old body (57 or similar) and make it a vintage race car that is street legal. (I know the antique auto laws !) If CTS opens I'll still be able to race with just a few minor adjustments.

The Legacys have an opportunity to run the road courses with NASA this year. Not sure how many are interested, but we have several teams planning on it.

Nick

Where are the road courses located?

NASA Texas races twice at Motorsports Ranch (MSR) Houston, twice at Texas World Speedway, and once at Circuit of the Americas, Motorsports Ranch (MSR) Cresson, and Hallett Motor Racing Circuit in Oklahoma.

2017 NASA Texas Region Schedule

January 28 -29 – Season Opener – MSR Houston, Houston, Texas (2.38-mile)

March 11-12 – March Madness – MSR Cresson, Cresson, Texas (1.7-mile)

April 21 -23 – Spring Fling – Texas World Speedway, College Station, Texas (2.9-mile)

May 26 -28 – Memorial Madness – Circuit of the Americas, Elroy, Texas (3.427-mile)

June 24 -25 – Summer Shootout – Hallett Motor Racing Circuit, Jennings, Oklahoma (1.8-mile)

September 23 -24 – September Showdown – MSR Houston, Houston, Texas (2.38-mile)

October 27 -29 – Fall Fling – Texas World Speedway, College Station, Texas (2.9-mile)

• 3 weeks later...

I get calls or emails two or three times a year from folks interested in re-opening SAS and have acted as the "middle man" for several of those folks.

There always seems to be some roadblock in the way, either on the land owner's side or the prospective purchaser's side.

The biggest problem is the initial cost of the property and the major expense of re-building much of the infrastructure.

As I have said many times over, it will take someone with ample resources and an enduring love of the sport to step up to make it all happen.

Nick

Archived