Pure Stock Rules for USMTS Event

So by all the tracks not allowing aluminium bodies is that there way of trying to keep those cars out? Just curious I see a lot of tracks allowing them and have for a couple years. Weight rules is still in place. You can build one out of 20ga but not aluminum.

Well I'm pretty sure it ain't the money. If they had the money in sure they would be in a higher class. I've seen people mention about wanting to come down here but that was the biggest issue. Being broke is a nation wide problem soon to be better we hope!

So by all the tracks not allowing aluminium bodies is that there way of trying to keep those cars out? Just curious I see a lot of tracks allowing them and have for a couple years. Weight rules is still in place. You can build one out of 20ga but not aluminum.

Bodies (id love to have one) are not only factor but just bc don't allow them doesn't mean South Texas doesn't want Houston cars to race. to me all cars are welcome but just follow rules just as if going to any track in nation.

you say aluminum and people get all a s s hurt and accuse people of trying to make money off of people! I understand it, but with a 50% rear % rule you basically negate any advantage,same with the damn pedal issue/ driver set-back! yeah I build bodies out of aluminum and I'm doing a steel one right now for someone, but now the guy has to get it painted or wrapped...see where i'm going I don't care if its alum,steel,fiberglass if you don't have the means or know how to do it you're going to pay someone to do it wether it's hanging itor painting! so wether you have a NFL team or a peewee leaguer lets get everyone on the same page and race!

Its all about appearance. Every, and I mean every, big Pure Stock race I've been to where the Houston cars run they stand out because they don't LOOK like the others. Couple that with they LOOK like they handle better.I don't know how many times I heard other fans say "That's no Pure Stock" . Now to me as long as they meet the weight,rear% rule, engine and tire rule body shouldn't matter that much.I would that at a certain point body parts for a Monte Carlo or whatever are going to get hard to find.I would think a lot of time and maybe $$ could be saved by replacement parts being aluminium.Face it this class is going to eventually evolve to Factory Stock at some point anyway.

"Upgrades" and "improvements" and "commons sense" rules changes to an entry level class will eventually make that entry level class into something other than the entry-level class it was intended to be.

The sad part is that many of those who perfectly OK with the original rules have to decide whether to "keep up" or go fishing or whatever. So the car sits somewhere until the price of scrap is good enough to get rid of it.

Then one day someone comes up with a brilliant idea! Why not create a true entry level class so folks can afford to race... and we start the cycle all over again.

Maybe it's the way entry-level classes should evolve, but in my mind this never-ending cycle of gradually legislating a perfectly good entry level class into oblivion is not good for the sport.

Just my two cents. Keep the change.

Nick

If it's entry level than any experienced drivers shouldn't be in it. Several times there's been drivers step down.But Nick from your point things have to evolve equipment will change. Metric cars sale for double or triple what they used to. Until you've searched for a donor car or had to Chase parts down I don't think some relize the struggle. Of course people are gonna spent big money. Can't keep it from racing. Its to a point now that availability is key. Which goes back to the rules of your on a similar set of rules as 3/4 of the state how do you think finding used parts will be when money is tight. Or run behind times in rules and try to get from a supply that's been drastically used up. If the guy that has donor cars stashed up let's 5 people get parts cause he needs money then at some point it's gone. So it has to evolve no matter what. I can tell you locally the last 5 yrs parts have doubled and there's half as much. Call day or smileys and see how many spindles and lowers they sell now or trailing arms. People used to give them away. That's also why aftermarket frame is availe now for nesmith.

Not sure how else to put this, but every track needs a true entry level class that does not escalate in cost to participate. Harder to do than say, for sure.

It follows that an intermediate class and a premier class - even if it's SportMods - are also needed. Those classes will naturally be more expensive which is OK as long as the rules don't change very often.

Of course, there will always be those who want to run the most exotic stuff and skip paying the mortgage to get two more horsepower, so let them build their Super Whatever car, but only bring 'em in once a month, or so. Then bring in the touring classes / upstart classes / etc, once a month or so as well.

But keep your core three classes away from rules changes as much as humanly possible. If a class outlives it's viability, kill it and bring in a class that is about at the same cost/skill level.

This all falls on any track management to figure out for their area of the country, but it's much easier said than done. One of the reasons track managers don't follow this model is that they give in to pressure from racers demands to escalate their class. Usually it's the one's with the money or a good command of social media that do the most pushing for rules that allow them to go faster. The last thing in the world a track manager needs is folks tearing the track up in public and pulling their financial support of the track and it's all too easy to give in to the pressure.

None of this is theory. I have lived it even if it was at asphalt tracks. There will be folks who disagree with me and that's fine. Just keep things civil is all I ask.

Nick

Archived