PAPosse

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ignorant?....NO

Idiot?.....NO

Pathetic?....NO

Hate filled?.....NO

Opinionated?....YES and after 45 years of being involved in racing and 50 of watching it, I feel I deserve it.

I'm going to take a stab here chipperd93 and guess you're one of the new school NA$CAR fans.....So be it(no disrespect intended)....

I was watching racing on TV when you were lucky to get 15-20 minute clips of a 4 hour race on Wide World of Sports and watched the first ever live televised Daytona 500....Now, over the past almost two decades, I've had to sit and watch Brian France/Mike Helton destroy everything it was and make a mockery of it. All in search of one thing----- $$$$$$$$. Big Bill would be rolling over in his grave today. I watched as they(France/Helton) shunned their once loyal fan base in the name of corporate greed. I've watched as they tried catering to the Indy/F-1 wine and cheese crowd, which failed. I remember when TMS would sell out both races, now they, and other tracks, are blocking off/removing seating to make venues APPEAR full for TV and sponsor $$$$$$$. I recall when getting tickets to Bristol was like trying to get Green Bay Packers tickets---a long waiting list. But even Bristol has empty seats lately. Now they want to cater to millenials, who are too busy on their damn cell phones to watch a race in the first place. Gimmicks are NOT what sold avid NA$CAR fans, racing was, on real tracks with real drivers. Now it's PC drivers with corporate looks, driving look-alike cars, on cookie cutter tracks.....THERE'S what started killing off racing. Then add in all the gimmickry(ie; chase, lucky dog, no racing to yellow, etc) and you've got the BS they have now. France/Helton are trying to plug the hole in Titanic with freaking play-doh! Obviously from the posts on fb, and here, that you and I have both seen, I'm not alone in my opinion.

If/when NA$CAR fails it will have NOTHING to do with anything but what NA$CAR itself is doing! Period!

And please, don't give me the "if you don't like it, don't watch" spiel .....With all the races I've attened, all the merchandise I've purchased, I've truly earned the right to watch and voice my critique!

OK

Well said Reb. I also remember having to catch bits and pieces on Wide World of Sports. Some of my fondness memories of my father is sitting on the porch or even in the yard and listening to the race on the radio. I believe that we as race fans have the right to speak our opinions about NASCAR. As some of us have grown up listening to it on the radio or catching pieces on TV we have been around long enough to see the many changes and should be able to express our feelings about a sport we all care so much about. Hop up on that box some more Reb!!! I'll listen to you all day.

I understand that change is inevitable, I deal with it far too often, but there's change for the good and change that isn't. And that's just a fact of life!

Bitter?.....LMFAO

I do apologize for classing you in the newbie files.....My bad.

But you, as an old fart, should realize/remember what made NA$CAR what it was, made it grow and be exciting......Perhaps not.....

Timmy, you can preach TV revenue all you want......BUT.....when viewership drops and attendance drops I guarantee the TV execs will see that they aren't getting all they paid for.....Then what....You can put all the lipstick on a pig that you want, but it's still just a pig with lipstick.

How about this for a groundbreaking enhancement......more racing, less circus!

I think Dale Jr proved that NASCAR is so out of touch with the fans when he said "for all the folks that have been asking us to get rid of the chase for years, this is a great day for them...." NASCAR lost its way the moment they allowed big sponsors to dictate the series.

They are attempting to lure younger fans to the sport by turning the format into football on wheels. Stages: quarters, Bonus Points: overtime and Playoffs: divisional-wild card rounds etc.

In its beginning and all during its largest growth periods, quality racing is what attracted fans to the sport back when drivers had character and showed raw emotion. Today we see scripted emotion and storyboard drama. The core fans introduced family and friends to the sport, who in turn introduced their family and friends. NASCAR would brag that they have the most loyal fans; I don't think that is the case anymore.

NASCAR is also bleeding out its blood stream of race proven drivers when they decided to go up against the grass roots Saturday night racer. All it takes to race in the big leagues now is a NASCAR license and a big sponsor. For this race fan, Sunday was the big day I waited all week for, the day for Church, Family, BBQ and NASCAR. Many years I traveled to Texas Motor Speedway to take in the smells, sights and sounds of race day. Today I may or may not watch the race on TV depending on what else was on.

I think that some of the seasoned drivers would comment, but then they would be hit with the dreaded and all encompassing Rule 12.1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing)

NASCAR has evolved into a series of gimmicks and circuses. As a child I loved the circus, I’m an adult now.

why do these words always show up in conversations over pros and cons when someone disagrees , whining . crying .hating and if you don't like it don't watch .. when someone does not like nascar changing rules as they have done over the years . those words are used against them ....childish cop out..lol..there I am guilty ..isn't speedzone great .

No offense taken.......except maybe the name calling bit.....but its all good.....I enjoy a good lively banter session.

To your point, local racing vs, NA$CAR racing.....Apples to zuchinni....Many of the short track problems arise from racers shooting themselves in the collective feet. Yes, motors and chassis' are WAY out of hand, but the "haves" petition the tracks for every little goodie and you get, what you got. ... Case in point; IMCA claim rule was straight $325 w/no swap....Motors were normally $3000 Blaines claimers or home built......The number of claims was high to keep things in check......Then IMCA decided to try the UMP model of $750 or swap, plus all the attendance stipulations......I can't remember a motor claim in Texas since then.....Carbs, yes, Shocks, yes, but no motors......Now where are modified motors?.....$15,000-$20,000 easy......No one wants to pay to swap just to find out the guy has a similar or lessor motor and you're getting beat by set-up....LOL

NA$CAR, on the other hand, is shooting an entire sanctioning body in the foot, with gimmicks, because they've done away with real racing.....All to pad their own pocket.

why do these words always show up in conversations over pros and cons when someone disagrees , whining . crying .hating and if you don't like it don't watch .. when someone does not like nascar changing rules as they have done over the years . those words are used against them ....childish cop out..lol..there I am guilty ..isn't speedzone great .

Whining about people whining about people whining. Great stufff.

They lost me when guaranteed starting positions were handed out to drivers and teams alike. When a local star driver can not get local sponsorships together to help him defend his home town superspeedway then nascar has missed the boat in having any underdog make the show or possibly win an event. Its the same group of guys sand bagging until the end for the win because no matter what their team is already in every race for the season.

Remember when the cars actually looked like something you could go down to the dealer ship and buy. Remember when it was the fastest 43 drivers made the fields and only had to run two laps of qualifying. You had names like Rick Mast, Lake Speed, Bobby Hillin, The Bodine Brothers, Steve Grissom, who might not of had the best car but had a chance to sit on the pole because they could put together a couple qualifying laps. You would get 50+ cars showing up to make a race that only 43 the made. The did not make the race list would be double digits of drivers. The only guaranteed spots was a champions provisional (that Darrell Waltrip pretty much ruined in one season.) You didn't have start and parks. This is when NASCAR was fun and entertaining. I fell asleep during the April race at TMS and there was no alcohol involved in that nap. The drivers were wheelmen they weren't drivers who bought their ride. They were there strictly on talent. There is only maybe a couple drivers today that could drive the cars of yesterday because they were a handful. I would give anything to see Tony Stewart race the cars of yesteryear. I remember as a kid in the 80's and 90's watching these cars. When they came out with the die cast you could go to target and buy the 1/64 die cast car for 1.99 and the hauler for 9.99. Now those same size die cast are 8.99 and the haulers if you can find them are 25.99 when hotwheels and matchbox are still .99 to 1.99.

post-19-0-72971700-1485374121_thumb.jpg

post-19-0-57077100-1485374131_thumb.jpg

post-19-0-71223700-1485374140_thumb.jpg

I remember when grandpa had 2 mules and a plow we farmed 10 acres and never missed a meal and had $10 in the bank. Them were the good old days.

Now my dad has 10,000 acres, 15 tractors, 10 combines and 5 irrigation wells. We now sponsor a race team and own a Bank.

There are days when I wish I could hop in the Prius and drive back to Texas. But I wouldn't get very far. There aren't many charging stations between LA and Phoenix.

solar panels ..paposse .glue em bolt em or stick em with chewing gum .

I remember when grandpa had 2 mules and a plow we farmed 10 acres and never missed a meal and had $10 in the bank. Them were the good old days.

Now my dad has 10,000 acres, 15 tractors, 10 combines and 5 irrigation wells. We now sponsor a race team and own a Bank.

LOL at toyotatim...

Just wondering about that $850,000 signature loan I was talking with the loan officer at your grandpa's bank... Still haven't received the cashier's check.

There are days when I wish I could hop in the Prius and drive back to Texas. But I wouldn't get very far. There aren't many charging stations between LA and Phoenix.

solar panels ..paposse .clue em bolt em or stick em with chewing gum .

Of course! Shaped like a sprint car wing!

Archived