Brian France Just Grabbed The Last Box of Nails

PAPosse

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i have thought back over the last three years how many races i have actually watched from start to finish and am having a hard time getting past 7 fingers .[on one hand the middle finger stands above all others don't know why that is ]....... ... use to could not wait for a race to come on and now don't even know what track date time and channel the clown show will be on .. every year i get a good laugh at brian france ..one thing is consistence .he is a joke ..with out the headlines i did not even know who was going into the hall of fame .did not know it was on tv ..

i have thought back over the last three years how many races i have actually watched from start to finish and am having a hard time getting past 7 fingers .[on one hand the middle finger stands above all others don't know why that is ]....... ... use to could not wait for a race to come on and now don't even know what track date time and channel the clown show will be on .. every year i get a good laugh at brian france ..one thing is consistence .he is a joke ..with out the headlines i did not even know who was going into the hall of fame .did not know it was on tv ..

It's been about 5 years since I've watched a NASCAR race. I grew up watching "Winston Cup" racing. Monster Cup or what ever the hell they are calling it now is pretty much a joke. Might as well brand it as a reality show.

Could this have something to do with why Carl Edwards stepped away? Wouldn't blame him if it was. I would actually have much more respect for him if that were the case.

The moment they got away from the fastest 43 race on Sunday and started holding both hands out for corporate money...is the moment the light started to dim for NASCAR. I don't care about the slapping sessions between drivers, I don't care about the race shows with a circus flair...I only cared about solid racing between drivers.

Give them credit, they are doing something different to get new people in the sport. At one time, a horse and buggy worked great, If they would have listened to the buggy makers, we would have never had cars. The Rotary telephone was good too, but I prefer my iphone. At least they are doing something. I dont understand why people complain so much about a sport that they dont even watch.

GOSSAGE COMMENTS ON ANNOUNCED CHANGES TO RACING FORMAT FOR 2017 NASCAR SERIES RACES

FORT WORTH, Texas (January 23, 2017) - The following are comments from Texas Motor Speedway President Eddie Gossage on the race format changes NASCAR announced Monday evening for the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series, XFINITY Series and Camping World Truck Series. These format changes will be implemented for the O'Reilly Auto Parts 500 on Sunday, April 9, and AAA Texas 500 on Sunday, Nov. 5, as well as the other series races at Texas Motor Speedway in 2017.

"The thing I like best about the decision NASCAR is making is that it is a minor tweak. It doesn't really change the race for the purist that just wanted to see a 334-lap, 500-mile race here at Texas. This doesn't change anything in that concept. It just means you're going to have to race harder all day long and what fan won't like that?"

"What that is going to mean is that you are going to have racing throughout the day. Not that there has ever been a time to kind of ride around, but now there is going to be a lot of points on the line. You've got to race hard the first 100 laps, race hard through those second 100 laps and then for the finish, of course, you're always running hard. It's going to make it better for the fans."

"It's been really interesting because everyone has been at the table contributing, discussing, debating and ironing out this format change. Not only NASCAR but they were asking for a lot of help and buy-in from drivers, team owners, track owners and operators, some sponsors, some manufacturers and all have been at the table representing the sport and I think that is a good way to do things."

Ignorant?....NO

Idiot?.....NO

Pathetic?....NO

Hate filled?.....NO

Opinionated?....YES and after 45 years of being involved in racing and 50 of watching it, I feel I deserve it.

I'm going to take a stab here chipperd93 and guess you're one of the new school NA$CAR fans.....So be it(no disrespect intended)....

I was watching racing on TV when you were lucky to get 15-20 minute clips of a 4 hour race on Wide World of Sports and watched the first ever live televised Daytona 500....Now, over the past almost two decades, I've had to sit and watch Brian France/Mike Helton destroy everything it was and make a mockery of it. All in search of one thing----- $$$$$$$$. Big Bill would be rolling over in his grave today. I watched as they(France/Helton) shunned their once loyal fan base in the name of corporate greed. I've watched as they tried catering to the Indy/F-1 wine and cheese crowd, which failed. I remember when TMS would sell out both races, now they, and other tracks, are blocking off/removing seating to make venues APPEAR full for TV and sponsor $$$$$$$. I recall when getting tickets to Bristol was like trying to get Green Bay Packers tickets---a long waiting list. But even Bristol has empty seats lately. Now they want to cater to millenials, who are too busy on their damn cell phones to watch a race in the first place. Gimmicks are NOT what sold avid NA$CAR fans, racing was, on real tracks with real drivers. Now it's PC drivers with corporate looks, driving look-alike cars, on cookie cutter tracks.....THERE'S what started killing off racing. Then add in all the gimmickry(ie; chase, lucky dog, no racing to yellow, etc) and you've got the BS they have now. France/Helton are trying to plug the hole in Titanic with freaking play-doh! Obviously from the posts on fb, and here, that you and I have both seen, I'm not alone in my opinion.

If/when NA$CAR fails it will have NOTHING to do with anything but what NA$CAR itself is doing! Period!

And please, don't give me the "if you don't like it, don't watch" spiel .....With all the races I've attened, all the merchandise I've purchased, I've truly earned the right to watch and voice my critique!

REB you forgot a few things you could have said ..but I understand .so ill respond to your new school nascar fans as you call them forgive them they were not born in the hey days like us and those before us .. you know the days when a team could just show up and try to make a race .days when a driver did not need a million dollar sponsor just to get a look at .hell they didn't even have to look all that grand .you could be ugly fat even be up in your age back then no perfect hair .you did not need a degree in proper speaking terms and and you could get away with speaking your mind to a point .dale sr never thought id miss him wasn't a big fan of his but I do .terry labonte comes to mind here he was a complete unknown to the nascar world being from Corpus Christi you could argue he wasn't near the main stream of nascar but found his way to the big show racing flat nose tanks compared to the smooth rockets they race today a real racer in likes of dale ,.ned, benny, rusty , ricky rudd , harry gant , .and all the greats before them who could take the heat of no ac and actually have to drive a beast ....I could go on and on you know

but to no avail ...we are just getting old you know and miss what nascar once was .what brought us to racing .. and that was in real terms real racing real innovative real drivers real fun to watch now its generic ...

Preach it Reb!!!

If Brian France was smart he would listen to the people and not come up with these cockamamie schemes. I want to see short track racing not 1.5 mile races that get so spread out you have to throw a "debris" caution to get field bunched back up. Go back to the old school style cars instead of this new age stuff. I watch one race a year and that's the Daytona 500 and that was because my friend always had a watch party. We used to watch every weekend and even record the races if weren't home so we could watch when we got home. Get all of the old school announcers back in the booth and get Darrell, Michael, Larry McReynolds out of the booth. Them alone will make me not watch the race. I remember when we did the track tour at Talladega one year and the tour guide mentioned the seats and she asked does anyone know why they are painted that way. When the people on the tour stated to make the track look good I chimed in make it look like the race is sold out when on TV because they cant fill the stands anymore, the tour guide said correct.

post-19-0-84065200-1485264649_thumb.jpg

They just hit it out of the park with these rules enhancements. Old school does not work any longer. Nascar, the drivers, the owners, the sponsors and crew members are in this to maximize their investments and income, so they can take care of their families. For the most part, they are making good money and providing for their families. In order to generate the type of revenue for this to happen, these shows now need television revenue to support the system. The tracks generate the majority of their revenue from the television contract. Their priority is to make this television friendly. Judging by the contracts, they are doing a great job. The current contract is worth about $8 billion dollars. The tracks get 65%, 25% goes toward the purse and Nascar gets 10%. So judging the economic success of Nascar by judging the amount of fans in the stands is far being accurate. At least they are making changes, give them credit for that. Nascar gets the smallest piece of the revenue from TV. Give them a little credit. Laugh at the empty seats, but they are not really that important any longer.

Times change. To that, we can probably all agree. And yes, we should give it a chance before we hammer it too hard. My feelings on the chase are well documented on this forum. If you care enough to search, more power to you. If not, that's ok too. I won't waste my time or yours rehashing all the reasons why I think the chase is an idiotic way to determine a champion. So for the sake of brevity, I will accept it for what it is. But, I don't think a person should be required to have a PhD to figure out the points system. Forget the fact that you can't really compare Jimmie Johnson's 7 championships to Earnhardt's or Petty's. You can't even compare Johnson's 7 to themselves. And if the NASCAR flag wavers can't take the blinders off to see that as a problem, then there's no point in reading further.

The pattern every year since Brian France took over is the same. About a month before the Daytona 500, some new "enhancement" is announced, followed shortly thereafter by a release from Eddie Gossage about how great it is going to be.

NASCAR is not about the racing anymore and it's just sad. They have become Microsoft and Apple, who roll out updates to their system every year or two that nobody asked for but makes things just a little more complicated than it needs to be. This enhancement usually comes with a statement telling the fans they are getting what they want, yet if you look at the RACING boards, very few if any fans are really "for" the enhancements. They really just want to see good racing.

To that end, I will give them some credit. Overall, the races last year were a little better. For years, fans have been saying take the downforce away and make the cars less aero-dependent. The message finally got through. They weren't all barnburners, but they don't have to be. You see, I remember when only 3 or 4 cars would finish on the lead lap. But I also sat in the stands at Pocono for 500 mile races when it took a minute to get around the place and thought nothing of it. Why? Because it wasn't uncommon for the lead to officially change hands 60+ times at the line, and 2 or 3 times in between. I remember being on the Bristol waiting list for 5 years for tickets I couldn't give away when I last had them. I remember watching Earnhardt and Tim Richmond sliding around North Wilkesboro. Even if the race itself wasn't good, there was always something entertaining to watch ON THE TRACK.

The more I think about it, I believe this change is in response to the Gibbs cars riding around in the back of the field at Talladega last year. Eddie Gossage says it's not going to change the flow of the race. How can it not? Aren't they throwing yellows between segments? Yay, more time for commercials. Will we see debris cautions 5 laps before the end of the segment? Can the segment end under yellow? Again, complication for who's benefit? That's right, the fans, just as it has always been. Yet, in the last 13 years TV ratings are down. Attendance is down. Merchandise sales are down. Grandstands capacity at some tracks has been cut 25% or more and still aren't full. Yet, it's still just as expensive to attend.

So, why am I complaining? Because I love the SPORT. The sport is dying before our very eyes, and Brian France seems to be doing everything he can to kill what was once the series that every driver aspired to get to.

Archived