Closest open asphalt track?

turbotoddie

Is the track in Monroe Louisiana open?

Well that would be "Revolution Park Speedway" on I-20 in Monroe,La. and No that track as of now dose not seem to be in operation. now that means the central southern part of our country has three "Quality" (CTS, HMP, & the Rev at Monroe) asphalt racing facilities not in operation at this time, that seems to me to be a big waste!!!. boy could we use some of the midwest CRA or the Kemmel Racing promoters from Indiana, southern Michigan, or Ohio to these local tracks. yes that would mean Yankee's down here, but we need racing at these three tracks in a bad way....Hopefully C.C. can get their act together as well. Texas has had a long & deep racing history, we need short track of any style back in Texas like it was in the good old days. are those days gone for good?

Turbotoddie,

One thing to consider in the list of whats closest is what are you planning to run. Ive noticed that of the above mentioned tracks not all run late models, not all run modifieds and not all run trucks. As for the super street super stock hobby whatever its called this year, well the rules are way different between some tracks also. So closest to central Texas may not be the answer depending on your class.

When you break it down like that it's pretty amazing.

Fewer Tracks. Fewer Cars. Fewer Fans.

Put it in any order you'd like. Then repeat.

A lot of reasons behind all 3, and no easy answers.

The biggest reason for weekly tracks to fail, (asphalt or dirt) is hate, and negativity on Social Media.

it boils down to so many reasons tracks close ..I would say biggest of all is money ..the racers want to keep spending on their cars looking for that edge .the tracks have so many cost in insurance . beer license .food license .staff cost .taxes .purse . lease payments or other wise and really cant charge enough at the gate to pay for all that ..getting in the stands price wise has stayed the same for how long a long time yet the cost keeps going up ..yes I say some is the internet .but that internet could be used by the track as well in a positive way . I would love for just one track to tell us what it takes weekend and week out on average just to open ..be honest .teams may be surprised that the purse takes a chunk ..

There are probably hundreds of reasons why tracks close, but in my mind these are near the top of the list.

1) Poor management and lack of strategic planning by owner / promoter.

2) The ego-deflating realization that the good intentions of the owner / promoter when the track opened are not appreciated (or worse) by the participants.

3) Failure of management to recognize or effectively deal with the dramatic changes in the entertainment industry and the intense competition for the entertainment dollar these days.

4) The steady increases in taxes, liability insurance premiums, utility rates, payroll, etc, while income remained static or decreased.

5) Law suit or threat of lawsuit.

I had no particular track in mind when I wrote this list, but I suspect that a few of our members might be tempted to bring up a specific track or owner or a specific situation in response to this post. Please do not do so. Thanks.

Nick

I would add lack of reinvestment in a facility. I understand track owners aren't getting rich but to compete with all the available entertainment around, upgrades have to be made. Also, tough to say but most rulesets have appearance standards but they are rarely enforced as every track wants as many cars as possible on track. Finally, a lack of business experience with regards how to attract and retain sonsorship. My .02

turbotoddie

• 3 weeks later...

There are probably hundreds of reasons why tracks close, but in my mind these are near the top of the list.

1) Poor management and lack of strategic planning by owner / promoter.

2) The ego-deflating realization that the good intentions of the owner / promoter when the track opened are not appreciated (or worse) by the participants.

3) Failure of management to recognize or effectively deal with the dramatic changes in the entertainment industry and the intense competition for the entertainment dollar these days.

4) The steady increases in taxes, liability insurance premiums, utility rates, payroll, etc, while income remained static or decreased.

5) Law suit or threat of lawsuit.

I had no particular track in mind when I wrote this list, but I suspect that a few of our members might be tempted to bring up a specific track or owner or a specific situation in response to this post. Please do not do so. Thanks.

Nick

Nick,

Since I started going to the races in 1972, I have seen far too many tracks close for those reasons that you put on there. But there are a few more to add to the list:

1. Fuel prices for racers and promoters equipment.

2. Economy - although I have seen a few tracks prosper despite being in areas without a good economy.

3. Too many promoters operating a track as a hobby or a second or third business. Therefore not putting the time to operate and market the track properly. Running a track should be treated as a full time business.

4. Marketing - This is a big killer. I have seen advertising and community relations be the difference between success and failure. This is many times the difference between a good promoter and a bad promoter. Take Gator for instance. How many promoters struggled until recently when a promoter took over and turned it into a success. The difference was not in rules or classes, but in the marketing.

I could think of more. But that is the top things that stood out to me lately.

Of course, all of the obstacles mentioned in this thread (plus dozens more - noise abatement comes to mind) can be trumped (pun intended) by someone with unlimited financial resources, a healthy ego and thick skin.

Know anyone fitting that description? If so, have him/her give me a call or text. 210-415-1251.

Or email at nick.lssz@gmail.com

Or PM on here.

Or smoke signals if Native American

Or Morse Code if a HAM operator... etc, etc.

Nick

Archived