Edwards is OUT! What?

Chipperd93

STATEMENT FROM TMS PRESIDENT GOSSAGE ON BREAKING NEWS OF NASCAR STAR EDWARDS NOT COMPETING IN 2017

FORT WORTH, Texas (January 10, 2017) - The following is a statement from Texas Motor Speedway President Eddie Gossage on today's report from FOXSports.com that Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series star Carl Edwards is leaving Joe Gibbs Racing to pursue other interests outside of driving and will not compete in 2017.

"This is comparable to Barry Sanders retirement back in 1999, shocking and with loads of ability and time left in a very successful career. Everyone rightfully expected Carl to win both races and championships. I talked to Carl about a month ago and he didn't give any indication that he was considering this. It is a shock that just doesn't seem real."

looks like big money wanted another driver in the car to me .money talks ..and carl wasn't part of it or did not like the deal and most likely did not want to join just any old team that cant run up front .so retire for now at least to give a bigger team time to find a spot for him ....speculation ..

he says he told Gibbs right before Christmas, they agreed to wait 4 days and reconvene....he still wanted to retire so Gibbs said ok. That puts you right about Jan 1st.

So with no notice after he retired the following has happened in 11 or so days.

He retired....the new driver was decided on, contract negotiations took place and a contract was sign sealed and delivered....and all of their prior commitments for this season( both Carl and Suarez) with races race team and sponsors was successfully changed or voided with all parties apparently being ok with that on short notice. The cup sponsors that had backed carl have agreed to ether accept the new driver over a cup superstar for the same or new contract which has been secured, Nascar has approved him for cup or at least he has applied and Nascar gave a it will happen thing....and That's only part of what needed to happen. Other teams take a year or more to secure one sponsorship for big name drivers and yet JOE GIBBS got it all done for a good but unknown driver in a week and a half and right after the holidays to boot. Something stinks here. bet its a drive for diversity Nascar plan to expand the market base into Mexico and daddy Suarez is the A in Arris kind of thing.

So many conspiracy theorists here. I listened to Carl's press conference. I was satisfied with what he had to say. I believe, and respect his reasons. He is not the first athlete to retire at the height of his career. Remember the "Beast From the East", Damon Bradshaw? Pretty smart, I think. Suarez could have been put in a car without getting rid of Carl. That is just ridiculous. I think he just decided he wanted to do some other things in his life while he, his wife, and his kids could still enjoy it. More power to him.

I think he is waiting for a spot at Hendricks. I think if Kahne doesn't show any improvement this year he'll be out. Carl doesn't want a season like Boyer had.

Carl wouldn't have a season like Bowyer. He had a top notch ride. He almost won the championship in the last race of the season. Also, he stated in his press conference that Toyotas were the best cars, and if he ever came back he would want to drive for "Coach" (Joe Gibbs Racing)

What I find so strange is that he waited this long to announce it. A month before the season starts? Usually when someone decides to stop for the reasons he said they have been thinking about it for a while. What happened? He woke up one morning this week or last week and said that's it? Something just appears strange about it. Wasn't Suarez sponsored by the same company it the other series? Could have been something brewing behind the scenes here. That's why I said maybe Carl is going to wait for Hendrick's or for another good team instead of doing like Bowyer did. He is far to competitive to do something like that. I like a good conspiracy theory. Don't you?

• 1 month later...

Edwards is "Helping Daniel" at Atlanta. I'm watching the practice at Atlanta. Carl Edwards is in the pits with the #19 team. He is wearing his Arrias shirt (Arrias is the primary sponsor of the #19 JGR Toyota) He says he is "helping Daniel." The announcers wanted to emphasize that Carl is not retired. He is just "stepping back." Very interesting!

Archived