Sign in to follow this  
Rosie

No Spark

Have a problem with my '97 Chevy half ton. Was driving it the other day, and it sputtered and Quit. Got no spark. Changed coil, cap, rotor, plugs and wires (was planning on this anyway. Just bought the truck). Tried to start it last night and still no spark. Any Ideas? Thanks... Oh, yeah. Got the 4.3L engine if that matters...

Edited by Rosie

well .. could be ignition module if its spider injector system which it should be it is mounted on the bracket next to the coil .that can be checked at autozone ...or if it is throttle body injected which it should not be that one is under the rotor and can be checked too ..late night so foggy minded here ...common problem with the sound of sputter then died could be one of two possible things here as well .cam sensor and or crank sensor . that will take a bit more work checking out then you may want to miss with ..if you have a friend with a scanner or pay the deposit at autozone which isn't all that cheap but will get all your money back borrow a scanner I will bet it had a code in the system warning you about one or the other ..I could go on with other possible's but that will take a lifetime to explain and would still miss something lol..

Edited by HiTech

the scanner at autozone is hand held and easy enough to use .its a loaner tool so it wont cost you other than a deposit to borrow it .and yes you can check the truck at home just plug it into the ob2 plug right under the stearing wheel turn on the key and follow the directions that come with the scanner ..if the scanner wont light up with key on check for blown fuse on the truck ..

well heck happened to fast to catch it ...have any junk yards around I would get all three parts .module .crank sensor .cam sensor ...... but you can take the ign module to autozone and test it first or check with your local autopart store see if they have the tester ........has this truck given you any issues .like hard to start after running it .does this truck seem to try and start as you release off the start position . maybe just a tad back fire or shimmer ..if so it will be one of two things .cam or crank sensor and both are related .. as old as this truck is it could be one of em ..the cam sensor in the distributor controls spark timing and injector timing ..hate to throw this at you but the pass key could have gone bad .that's another story ..and have you check the fuses ..

Edited by HiTech

Ddid some more testing. With the ignition switch on (not cranking), I have between 9.5 and 9.75 volts to the outside two wires going to the ignition module. This seems low to me. The battery is a little low, so will check it again when it is fully charged.

10 to 12 volts is all you need ... I would clean and check all grounds . the one bolted to your thermostat housing is real important . I have even seen the fuel pump ground being a problem on this system .it is located on most old chevy on the upper frame rail at bout 11 oclock on your left rear tire just sorta have to look for it .. so many things can be the problem on this truck ..sure was glad when chevy got rid of this crappy system for the most part ..it will drive you insane ...

Talked to a local mechanic. He told me to crank the motor over and look @ the tach. If it doesn't move, it's a bad crank sensor. It doesn't move, so after it quits raining, I'll replace it...

sometimes it wont catch a code when a problem of certain sensors just gives up like this has ...I found in the distributor when the tang I call it that goes through the cam sensor will warp out of shape over time instead of being a perfect curve .the middle will warp towards the outside of the cam sensor causing it to lose the proper gap between the pick ups ...he can check the gap from the start of the tang as one turns the motor by hand if it is warped in the middle it can keep it from firing .found two distributors having that problem ..

Edited by HiTech